PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, oil light, loss of power

dogpoor
11-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Go in the Disco to come to work. Oil light came on and within 1-2 miles power started to decrease. I pulled over checked the oil level which was fine (oil has been changed within the last 400-500 miles), with the exception of debris that looked like carbon on the dipstick. Checked it twice and the debris about the size of pepper was on the stick, did not look like metal. Had to drive the 5 miles back to the house and chugged back with not much in the way of power, a vibration and some noises to go along with it. What do you guys think??? Oil pickup filter clogged? Catastrophic? Engine flush change the oil???? Ideas please.
Thanks,

jgkmmoore
11-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Right after you wrote "the oil light came on...", your next words should have been, 'I switched off the motor, rolled to the side of the road, and dialed AAA'. Never, ever ignore an oil or water quantity light in an aluminum engined car, and especially a Landrover. Continuing to drive after either of these are lost, is tantamount to saying 'I gotta thick wallet'. The engine really doesn't like the next few seconds after loss of oil pressure, and it's quite surprising that it did not sieze, regardless of which engine you have (not mentioned). Don't start it again....flatbed it to your fave mechanic. Tell him your neighbors wife did it.:(

jgkmmoore
11-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Save all the paperwork from the last oil change. Have the oil tested if there was NOT a catastrophic mechanical failure(oil pump) that would explain the reason.
Be prepared to explain: time/miles between oil changes....proof. Total miles on engine, and history? Rock crawling at Moab over the weekend???
If the Disco is worth it to you, buy a used engine...and for your own sanity, do not attempt a conversion!!! No matter what anyone sez!

dogpoor
11-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Yep, I guess thats why they call them idiot lights!!!! I'm pretty bummed, oh well. Parts anyone