PDA

View Full Version : Rear tub interior...

jrd51ox
11-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Since before I bought a series, I've planned on laying chequer plate down in the back. Mostly inspired by the Roverhaul web site but also since I don't plan to have back seats to enable more load space.

Basically every UK site sells it but to ship it to the USA costs twice the amount of the product itself. Has anyone done this or know of any other purchasing options? I'm trying to not buy sheets of this stuff and cut it, I know I'll mess it up.

I hope this post might interest enough people for RN to add these five bar products to their catalog.

kevkon
11-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I have a friend who fabricates custom truck bodies up here in Morris County, NJ. He could make that with no problem. I think the only issue would be the chequer plate. I know he has aluminum diamond plate, but I don't think he has the chequer type. You cou ask or you could look yourself.
http://transtartruckbody.com/

amcordo
11-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Hello!

If you don't want to cut them, but don't mind if someone cuts them for you you could always go this route:

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/catalog/ALUMINUM

I posted them a few pages back on a different project. They're very good at what they do. Anyway, they could cut the metal to size, and depending on whether you want to weld or not you could always get some square aluminum tubes and use bolts instead. I'd prefer bolts if I were in your shoes just because it would make everything easy to swap out in case of damage (that's my theme to the rover - make everything modular and easy to remove for maintenance or replacement).

You'll want to use 6061 or 3003 aluminum for this application.

Since before I bought a series, I've planned on laying chequer plate down in the back. Mostly inspired by the Roverhaul web site but also since I don't plan to have back seats to enable more load space.

Basically every UK site sells it but to ship it to the USA costs twice the amount of the product itself. Has anyone done this or know of any other purchasing options? I'm trying to not buy sheets of this stuff and cut it, I know I'll mess it up.

I hope this post might interest enough people for RN to add these five bar products to their catalog.

jrd51ox
11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Thank you Kevkon.....I can get five bar fplate from a guy in CO, so your guy up in Califon could come in handy. I'll be in touch when I decide what I'm doing. Waiting this out until I explore all options. I want to do this once & right the first time.

Amcordo...seems like a great site, but do they carry five bar. I wish they had pics. Thanks again.

Blueboy
11-11-2009, 08:38 PM
when I removed the rear side seats from my D90SW, I installed the rear rubber mat from the soft-top D90 to cover the cargo area.

just throwing this out as an option as it was very functional and the stuff I carried back there didn't move around.

the 2 Labs really liked it as well.

Jaime

kevkon
11-12-2009, 07:27 AM
I would like to see a molded rubber piece. The diamond plate is too high maintnance for me. Plus I don't think my Jack Russells would approve:nono:

jrd51ox
11-12-2009, 07:38 AM
I thought about that but wasn't sure if it would fit correctly.

Is this what you used?

TedW
11-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Is this what you used?

I have the rubber mat illustrated in jrd51ox's post. It fits like a glove in the back of my 88. IIRC you just need to trim it to fit around the filler shroud. I'd post a pic but right now I'm in Montreal. Will try to do it this weekend.

Our hosts sell this at a good price.

jrd51ox
11-12-2009, 09:06 AM
It fits like a glove in the back of my 88. IIRC you just need to trim it to fit around the filler shroud.

- That sounds great. I've been curious as to how that specific mat fits & looks. I was aiming towards the checquer plate, but at this point, I really just want to cover up the Dynamat ASAP.

I look forward to your pics, have a safe trip home.

jac04
11-12-2009, 10:54 AM
When I put the D90 rubber mat in the back of my IIA 88", the wheel boxes were too low (by about 1/2") for it to fit correctly. I just cut a piece of wood and bolted it to the top of each wheel box. It fit very nicely, although some trimming around the edges is required.

TedW
11-12-2009, 11:27 AM
When I put the D90 rubber mat in the back of my IIA 88", the wheel boxes were too low (by about 1/2") for it to fit correctly. I just cut a piece of wood and bolted it to the top of each wheel box. It fit very nicely, although some trimming around the edges is required.

I don't recall any fit issue with mine, except for some minor trimming (some as described).

I put mine in about 15 years ago, and it is starting to split at the corners. Not a big deal - I've used it hard over the years.

daveb
11-12-2009, 03:11 PM
I don't like the treadplate there, it looks tacky. Use rhino liner or something if you are concerned about durability. Obviously if you were dreaming of this before you even owned a LR then it has more to do with poor aesthetic judgment then it does with any kind of functional requirement.

I've carried all manner of junk in all my trucks and never needed treadplate in the back. I did replace the floor in my SIII 88 using a piece of a road sign. But I pulled out the old rotted floor and supports first.

The double layer of alloy with lots of holes drilled to install the treadplate....yuck, moisture trap and just...fugly...

Guess I don't feel too strongly about it ha ha...

jrd51ox
11-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Wow...I guess so. Good luck man.

JackIIA
11-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I have the rubber mat illustrated in jrd51ox's post. It fits like a glove in the back of my 88. IIRC you just need to trim it to fit around the filler shroud. I'd post a pic but right now I'm in Montreal. Will try to do it this weekend.

Our hosts sell this at a good price.

I've thought about that too since it looks kind of spiffy, but isn't it super thin, like those old 1970's floor mats? I'd rather put something pretty thick back there. I know someone posted some kind of farm related rubber matting awhile ago, that was thick and would definitely do the job. I THINK they said you could get it at Tractor Supply.

SafeAirOne
11-12-2009, 05:47 PM
I know someone posted some kind of farm related rubber matting awhile ago, that was thick and would definitely do the job. I THINK they said you could get it at Tractor Supply.

I think you are referring to the matting used in horse stalls--About 3/4" thick. I've seen an 88 with it in (on) the rear tub floor--looks proper and it's the last floormat you (and your heirs) will ever need to buy.

Blueboy
11-12-2009, 05:52 PM
the rubber mat for the D90 soft top is pretty thick.

we also had it in our 110 when in Brasil and used it pretty hard with stuff.

held up well.

Jaime

ignotus
11-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I went ot my local heavy industry which happens to be a cement plant and got for free, a length of conveyor belt. It is 1/2' thick and was a left over piece from a job. Most places love to give it away as then they do not have to pay for it's removal.
The piece I got is 36" wide and fits the rear tub nice! I have made a front mat for the drivers side and will make a passenger side soon as I recover from surgery.