PDA

View Full Version : Running the Vent Control Cable on a SIII

crankin
11-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Where is the vent control cable coming up through the lower dash and how is it running into the upper dash? I looked in the optional parts catalog but it does not so that detail.

kevkon
11-12-2009, 07:19 AM
It runs from the control lever into the the sub -dash ( the metal support under the top) where it connects to a fulcrum rod hat opens and shuts a pair of flaps that allow air thru the vents.

crankin
11-12-2009, 09:19 AM
I have that much. I am trying to figure out where the openings/holes to bring the cable through are located at. The only thing that I can see is the my lower dash is missing a hole…and I am not really sure how it runs on the upper dash…Does the cable run behind the instrument cluster or does it run along the wiper motor, etc…?

redmondrover
11-12-2009, 09:54 AM
We just disassembled our Series III RHD dash as part of a frame swap (for more info see blog at www.redmondrover.blogspot.com (http://www.redmondrover.blogspot.com)). The demist/heat cable ran from the control lever down into the lower dash/plenum assembly and over to the door in the plenum that contols direction of air flow. The hot/cold cable ran under the gauge cluster and into the engine compartment through its own hole. It was not run through the large rectangular grommet through which the wiring harness and speedo cable pass. This cable was not attached to anything in our 109--in other words, there was no way to shut off the coolant to the heater core.

kevkon
11-12-2009, 11:00 AM
I have that much. I am trying to figure out where the openings/holes to bring the cable through are located at. The only thing that I can see is the my lower dash is missing a hole…and I am not really sure how it runs on the upper dash…Does the cable run behind the instrument cluster or does it run along the wiper motor, etc…?

Actually it's a little of both, but the cable is not that long and it has to bend to get to the control lever. I think you will see that there are not many options there. It will end up running close to the bulkhead.

daveb
11-12-2009, 02:54 PM
IIRC there is a hole in the flat metal cover of the lower dash that it passes through. There is a small metal ferrule that gets installed in the metal cover.
I think you just snap the ferrule in and the cable just passes through that.

BTW the flat metal cover I'm referring to is the one that you will see when you remove the plastic parcel tray. It is held in by a bunch of tiny sheet metal screws.

Where is the vent control cable coming up through the lower dash and how is it running into the upper dash? I looked in the optional parts catalog but it does not so that detail.

redmondrover
11-17-2009, 12:29 AM
I just took apart our SIII RHD dash as part of the general clean up on all the parts we've removed for our frame swap. I hope these pictures help!