PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Plug Question

amcordo
11-12-2009, 10:59 AM
OK, so there are three different plugs on the various drivetrain parts that I need to change oil in. I'm trying to figure out what tool I should be asking for at Autozone when I'm looking for to remove two of the three.

1. Square headed fill plug - easy. Just use a wrench.
2. inverted square head fill plug - ?
3. inverted slot fill plug - ?

TJR
11-12-2009, 11:11 AM
2. inverted square head fill plug -
You may be able to use a socket wrench and an extenion w/o a socket on it. The socket drive is square.

3. inverted slot fill plug
You may be able to use a properly sized open end wrench tipped on its side and slid into the recess. I've also used the flat end of a large file inserted into the slot then turn it with a large adjustable wrench tightened around the file.

...Talbot

jac04
11-12-2009, 11:11 AM
No need to buy anything.

2. inverted square head fill plug - ?
Insert 1/2" drive into plug (or short 1/2" drive extension) and have at it.

Insert the open end of whatever open end wrench will fit in the slot and use your big adjustable wrench to turn that. Option would be to cut a piece of scrap metal to fit in the slot and then use the adjustable wrench.

Edit: Talbot - funny, I swear that I typed my answer at exactly the same moment you were typing yours. You just hit the post button first!!!

SafeAirOne
11-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Insert the open end of whatever open end wrench will fit in the slot ...

The side of the open end of a Craftsman 1/2" wrench does it for me.

daveb
11-12-2009, 03:06 PM
yup. 9/16" for me :)

and don't use files like that you'll break them. they don't like bending too much.

Insert the open end of whatever open end wrench will fit in the slot ...

The side of the open end of a Craftsman 1/2" wrench does it for me.

amcordo
11-12-2009, 03:14 PM
You guys are awesome. I do enjoy saving money...

TJR
11-12-2009, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=daveb;42138]

and don't use files like that you'll break them. they don't like bending too much.

..That was option B after the open end wrench, and I agree for the most part since files are hardened steel... but if the adjustable is placed just below the plug, it should work fine... I know.. I've gotten away with it..

In fact a curious thread would be all the ways we have actually abused tools for purposes thaty were never intened.(and lived to tell about it)

Jac04.. I guess you took too much time bolding your text :)

...Talbot