PDA

View Full Version : who has the fastest water pump replacement?

scott
11-14-2009, 12:21 PM
gotta r/r the water pump. what kind of time am i looking at? it's a crappy weather weekend here.

Bertha
11-14-2009, 01:23 PM
1-2hrs
drain radiator
disconnect upper rad hose
loosen clamp on center hose on water pump end
put piece of flat board or plywood over rad fins(on inside) to protect rad
remove shroud(if you even have one)
loosen generator/alternator
remove belt
remove fan and pulley
unscrew water pump(note where the bolts go as there are 3 different sizes
pull out pump and wiggle it free from center hose

to install:
clean off any gasket material on housing
clean any cosmoline off new pump mating surface
apply gasket sealant to pump surface
add gasket
add sealant on top of gasket
and follow the reverse of above

scott
11-14-2009, 02:03 PM
2 hrs eh. i do have a shroud. was thinking it be faster to pull the breakfast with rad an shroud still attached. since my rebuild i haven't put back all the hardware. breakfast only has the two sets of 3 upper bolts and the 2 lower holding it on. leave the wiring attached and just swing it out of the way. loosen and remove fan belt, yank out the old slap in the new. i will have to time myself from the openning of the drain to the starting it up.

Bertha
11-14-2009, 02:18 PM
No need to pull out the rad support, just protect the radiator.
I just did this job 2 weeks ago on my 88. It took all day because I had friends coming over, my neigbor wanted to help(no real car knowledge), my wife wanted to go out for lunch blah blah blah. Before you know it 5 hrs have gone by, its getting dark and that pump was still not done.
Comedy hour aside, it should take less than 2hrs with no distractions.

scott
11-14-2009, 02:40 PM
cool, well here i go...

scott
11-14-2009, 05:14 PM
done! 1 hr 40 min from openning the bonnet to closing the tool box. hardest part bolt'n the fan and pully back on. left the shoud on. i'm letting the rtv set up for a couple hrs before i fire it up and pray for no leaks