PDA

View Full Version : Dear Santa.....

VTRover
11-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Please oh PLEASE bring me that $65k 109 in the new Orvis Mens Catalog for Christmas! Or better yet give me the $65k and I'll buy a used 911 turbo, and 12 large orders from the Hogie Hut. Or maybe a two 1198R's and a new set of sneakers, or...........a one way plane ticket to vegas and a suite in Wynn.........

Anything Lanny touches is amazing but $65k? Heck I'll sell you my 110 for 50k nooooooooooooo problem.

Thank you Santa in advance.

Toodles,

Dr. Yohe

amcordo
11-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Since I know you're all having trouble figuring out what to get me for Christmas I just wanted you to know that I'd take a galvanized chasis and a few helping hands to get it swapped in a day or two.

Also a new lamp for the dome light.

rbonnett
11-20-2009, 07:59 AM
If its not too much to ask:

I would love a new authentic wiring harness.

And some ladies to test my suspension :thumb-up:

Thanks Santa

greasyhandsagain
11-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Dear Santa...Please let Someone put a LHD 1948 80", fully restored...up for sale!

TeriAnn
11-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Dearest Santa,

My needs are are few, my wants are fewer. I've been a very good girl this year in spite of unexpected hardships and a little treat would lift my spirits ever so much.

Needs:
- New cam and a case of ZDDP additive
- New green striped canvas for my Dormobile lifting top
- NP435 close ratio gearbox with 35 spline output shaft
- new pair of D90 door tops

Wants:
- Like new D110 rear door with heated window & rear wiper
- Aston Martin DB4 Zagato

So dearest Santa please be a darling and drop off these trinkets.

Affectionately yours

greenmeanie
11-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Needs:
- NP435 close ratio gearbox with 35 spline output shaft

Thinking of changing away from the T18? Are you finding the granny 1st too low to be practical for everyday use?

TeriAnn
11-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Thinking of changing away from the T18? Are you finding the granny 1st too low to be practical for everyday use?

Indeed. I just very seldom drive into places where I need a 70:1 axle ratio. I'm not a Rubicon or gonzo rock crawling kinda girl. And the T-18 leaves just too far a gap between the the 70:1 first and the 34:1 second gear. (For those in the gallery, stock axle ratios C suffix & newer are 41:1 first, 24.6:1 second.)

The only advantage to the T-18 other than its strength is that the T-18's high range first and stock LR low range second gear ratios are almost identical so you don't need to put the box into low range anywhere stock LR low range second works. It makes convoying with other Series rigs easy in those situations.

For the places I drive I calculate a 55:1 low range first gear axle ratio would be about perfect and I would like low range second gear on up to have comparable axle ratios to stock Series just for ease in convoy travel off road.

The ratios on the GM "D" version of the NP435 would be perfect but I understand it is a rare box and I would have to deal with a Ford small block engine and a GM gear set. I've noticed that no solution worth having is easy.

Nium
11-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Santa,
Found what I'd like for Christmas 1955 86' Series 1...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2634/4142370930_ef7586af40.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Old-land-rover-Series-1_W0QQitemZ120496254561QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_C ar_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c0e22ee61

Just pick 'im up (and make sure you get the tranny) and drop 'im off in the driveway. If you feel like fixin up anything before you do that'd be fine too. Thanks Santa see ya later.

yorker
11-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Why not look into a close ratio T-19? Like Ford used behind the 6.9l diesel? It might be a potential swap instead of the close ration NP435. Close Ratio T-19s are pretty common too.

Back when you swapped in the oriinal T18 I wondered if you knew what you were getting into- the granny low is nice on a plow truck or something like that but back when these trannys were common they more or less acted like a low range for 2wd trucks. People often drove them like a 3 speed with a transmission low range.

kevkon
11-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I wonder if the guy selling it even owns it?

TeriAnn
11-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Why not look into a close ratio T-19? Like Ford used behind the 6.9l diesel? It might be a potential swap instead of the close ration NP435. Close Ratio T-19s are pretty common too.

Actually the wide ratio T-19 with the 5.11:1 first gear would have been perfect. The close ratio T-19 has a low range first that is just a tad lower than the stock LR first gear, which I think is too tall for some of the off road work I do. The T-19 close ratio box would be a good choice for someone wanting to replace a stock LR box and keep close to the same ratios though.

The T-19 problem being I have no way to come up with a custom rear output shaft in a short amount of time. I can't reuse my custom T-18 shaft as it is different from a T-19. :( I can gather parts for a NP435 a lot faster as I have already secured an adapter. The gearbox would be a Ford case & output shaft with Chevy NP435 guts. All off the shelf parts except for a bolt on external adapter. Time is a critical element in my plans for an upcoming trip.

Back when you swapped in the oriinal T18 I wondered if you knew what you were getting into- the granny low is nice on a plow truck or something like that

I had no idea what I was getting into. Back in 1999 I had no clue about non Land Rover gearboxes and had not paid much attention to ratios other than knowing that the stock LR low range first was not low enough. I relied entirely on Timm Cooper for guidance and he chose the gearbox for me. Had I known then what I know today I would have most likely gone for the wide ratio T-19 with the 5.11 first or the bastard NP435 I'm currently scouting parts for. 10 years ago I only knew what is in the LR & TR3 service manuals.

On the other hand the 70:1 ratio is good for serious rock crawling in areas where a misstep means bashed body work. I just try not to travel in those extremes as my trips tend to be long distance and I can't afford to break the truck beyond its ability to limp out. I think it would be fine for an 88 set up for gonzo rock crawling. Not a good choice for a Dormobile.