PDA

View Full Version : Fiber washers

Walker
11-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Has anyone used fiber washers on the oil drain plug? I'm trying to keep mine from leaking and the copper compression washers don't seem to do it (short of stripping the bloody threads).

Art

SafeAirOne
11-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Hold your copper washer with a wire, then heat it up with a propane torch till good and hot, then immediately quench it in a cup of water.

This may make the copper soft enough to be a good seal again. It has probably been work hardened from being squeezed and re-squeezed all these years.

Or you could just buy a new one for $1.07 from our hosts (probably cheaper at your local auto parts store, if the guy behind the counter can get past looking up a mid 60s Series Land Rover on his computer).

KevinNY
11-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Yes, you can get them here. http://www.cgenterprises.com/gasket_size_cross.htm

Great site for magnetic plugs, repair plugs etc.

kevkon
11-15-2009, 06:57 PM
I use teflon tape on all plugs. No leaks even with old washers.

brucejohn
11-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Silly me, I just keep a bunch of new ones from our hosts so I can use new each change. Teflon tape, though, what an idea. May have to try that.

jac04
11-15-2009, 07:17 PM
You don't want to be using teflon tape on these plugs. The threads are not supposed to form a seal - they are not pipe threads - and you don't want to risk any pieces of teflon tape floating around in your oil.

LaneRover
11-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Rubber O-ring?

kevkon
11-15-2009, 10:17 PM
You don't want to be using teflon tape on these plugs. The threads are not supposed to form a seal - they are not pipe threads - and you don't want to risk any pieces of teflon tape floating around in your oil.

Theoretically, you shouldn't need teflon tape on non-tapered threads. However, after repeated use, over-tightening, corrosion, and damage the threads on these plugs can benefit from the use of teflon tape. You only need 1 to 2 wraps on the threads, then remove any excess. I have never had a problem with this application and I don't get any leakage. As with anything applied, one should always be careful. If you are, you won't have any end up where it doesn't belong.

jac04
11-16-2009, 11:13 AM
However, after repeated use, over-tightening, corrosion, and damage the threads on these plugs can benefit from the use of teflon tape.
If the seal is formed by the head of the plug, then what's the benefit of wrapping the threads with teflon tape?
Sorry to harp on this, but I deal with lubrication systems for industrial gear drives, and teflon tape in a lube system, even on pipe threads, is usually a no-no.

kevkon
11-16-2009, 02:30 PM
well if the washer seal does it's job then the tape is redundant. The problem is that doesn't always hold true. Especially on an older vehicle with imperfect mating/sealing surfaces and antiquated washer seals. I use the tape as a masure to stop any fluid from hitting that seal when I suspect it's not up to the job. And, yes I understand your concern about teflon tape getting into the mix. That's why I apply it judiciously and very carefully. By the way, over the years of working on engines, the number one source for items which do not belong in the lubrication system is excess RTV, silicone , and other gasket sealing agents. I doubt anyone would stop using these sealers, but like the teflon tape they must be applied carefully. In fact, I'd say they are far more problematic than the teflon tape given their properties and that you can't tell once you have placed what ever they are sealing together whether it has squeezed out and contaminated the lube system.

Nium
11-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Another option would be to take the old copper washer with you to the auto parts store and get a few generic replacement nylon/plastic oil pan drain bolt washers and just match them up to the copper one.

I like your forum ID. Guess I'll have to throw my first name into my signature to keep down confusion. :D

gudjeon
11-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Most good auto supply places carry nylon sealing washer specifically for various sizes of sump plugs. That is, if you want plastic on you rig.:thumb-up:

Walker
11-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Nium, the Walker comes from the fact that I end up walking - a lot. Sorry for the confusion (also an avid hiker in the Sierras). Yes, to others, I know our hosts have the copper washers and I have a few on hand. The issue is that the copper ones don't do the job of keeping it from leaking. It would be nice to be able to work under the truck without lubing my shirt!

Art