PDA

View Full Version : Howdy.

McQ01
11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
New to Rovers- Just brought home a 1965 Series 2a. Needs small things to be roadworthy, and am considering a full resto vs. mods. Looking for advise and how to....first is a clutch issue...pedal goes to the floor, brakes work..
then a fuel pump, and of course some electrical issues..Positve Earth...
So, Hi y'all!

amcordo
11-17-2009, 01:48 PM
WELCOME! Let's see some pictures!! Preferrably ones of it leaning to the right...

jac04
11-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Looking for advise and how to....
Listen to amcordo - he apparently knows "how to" better than the rest of us......although some still claim that the pictures are photochops. :)

All joking aside - welcome to the world of Series Land Rovers. Check the basics on the clutch hydraulic system. Is there fluid in the reservoir? Any obvious leaks?

brucejohn
11-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Welcome! We all want to see pictures. No picture, no story. ;)

McQ01
11-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!
I believe the reservoir serves both the brakes and clutch master cylinders, is that correct?
No obvious leaks in the drivers footwell.

Nium
11-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!
I believe the reservoir serves both the brakes and clutch master cylinders, is that correct?
No obvious leaks in the drivers footwell.

Yep, the center inner cylinder of the reservoir is for the clutch and the outer is for the brakes. Fluid on the foot well would be from the master cylinder so the lack of any is a good sign. How does the slave cylinder on the side of the bell housing look any leaks there? You will need to crawl under the Landy to check or pull up the floorboards and gearbox tunnel. If you do pull up the floorboards and tunnel you could bleed the clutch fluid too.

Welcome aboard!

If you don't have copy of the "Repair Operation Manual Series II & IIA" (aka Green Bible) part # AKM 8159 Part 1 and Part 2 (or it comes in a single volume now days) you may want to procure it as it is indispensable when working on the Landy. That's not to say you shouldn't post every and all questions you have as you'll find this forum is full of helpful, friendly peoples! :thumb-up: It doesn't matter how small or large a question either.

McQ01
11-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Just checked the master cylinder by flashlight, inner and outer reservoirs are full..pedal goes straight to floor with no resistance...have not pulled the dog house or floor up yet.

Jim-ME
11-17-2009, 05:06 PM
I live in the Bangor area. If I can be of any help let me know.
Jim

badvibes
11-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Just checked the master cylinder by flashlight, inner and outer reservoirs are full..pedal goes straight to floor with no resistance...have not pulled the dog house or floor up yet.

When you get to checking the slave cylinder on the bell housing also check the flexible line from the slave back to the hard line. The other common problem is the 2 pins that are in the mechanical linkage where it goes into the bell housing. Been there, done that.

Almost forgot, welcome to the madness.

Jeff

LaneRover
11-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Is that a big extra fuel tank that is covered by the plywood in the back?

jb_
11-17-2009, 10:45 PM

Don't ask that! The previous owner was probably an axe ******er and there are dead bodies buried under there. LOL.

If it is listing to the right they are birds buried in there. :D

I crack myself up.

I love the instant response posters get here. Lots of good advice and a decent amount of fun.

McQ01
11-18-2009, 06:29 AM

It is an extra fuel tank...not sure im crazy bout it, but its there, at least for now....