PDA

View Full Version : 11A Passenger grab bar

ivarra
11-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Has anyone installed some kind of a grab bar for the front passenger in a 11A? I do have seatbelts, but the passenger does feel exposed. And when going off road, they really dont have much to hold on to.

I would like it to look like it belongs in a 11A.

Any ideas?

Ivar

SafeAirOne
11-18-2009, 07:49 AM
I've seen the rear lifting handles attached to the dash in fromt of the passenger seat. I don't have any pictures, though.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/large/RNB671.JPG

badvibes
11-18-2009, 07:51 AM
What about a rear door grab handle? Part#: RNB056
Price: $17.18 from our hosts.

TeriAnn
11-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Has anyone installed some kind of a grab bar for the front passenger in a 11A?

Most people don't realize it but the top of the instrument panel shelf was designed to be a grab handle. That is why it is sticking up and rolled. But this design was from the days before seat belts when people would lean forward. The built in grab handle is a little too far away for most belted in passengers to reach.

May I suggest looking at passenger grab handles on old jeeps? I think you might find just the right look. I ended up using a stainless steel grab handle from my local marine supply store. It was fast & convenient to purchase.

Oh well, at least the instrument panel bottle opener is still useful since real ales don't have twist off tops.

Blueboy
11-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Oh well, at least the instrument panel bottle opener is still useful since real ales don't have twist off tops.

TeriAnn,

Not sure I totally grasp what you are saying.

Could you elaborate a little for me.

Best,

Jaime

meatblanket
11-18-2009, 01:39 PM
I used one of these:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=10315

Fits very nicely. Can't hurt to have a Jeep part or two in your Rover.:thumb-up:

scott
11-18-2009, 02:23 PM
no need for a grab bar...just place a 40 qrt ice chest on the passenger's lap. it'll keep 'em in place and your beverages handy

bmohan55
11-18-2009, 04:27 PM
no need for a grab bar...just place a 40 qrt ice chest on the passenger's lap. it'll keep 'em in place and your beverages handy

I wouldn't trust any of MY passengers with MY "Special Reserve"

scott
11-18-2009, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't trust any of MY passengers with MY "Special Reserve"

no need to trust 'em if the ice chest is big enough. ya just wedge it between their gut and your dash

badvibes
11-18-2009, 05:04 PM
no need to trust 'em if the ice chest is big enough. ya just wedge it between their gut and your dash

I believe bmohan55's implication is that he would trust the passenger to hold the barleypops but not that he would trust them not to be drinking his brewskis. But Scott we're old friends, you know you could trust me.....

LaneRover
11-18-2009, 08:43 PM
TeriAnn,

Not sure I totally grasp what you are saying.

Could you elaborate a little for me.

Best,

Jaime

The bottom of a metal dash in a Rover can be used to open bottles.

And she is correct about real ales not having a twist top too!

greasyhandsagain
11-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Ahhhhh.........now I understand. That thing on the top is a "grab rail" and not a shelf for your sunglasses, toll money, earplugs etc etc......that explains why they didnt put 'ends' on it so all your stuff dosent go flying out the doors when you turn a corner or do a 30 degree side slope!

Blueboy
11-18-2009, 08:55 PM
The bottom of a metal dash in a Rover can be used to open bottles

ah ha.

kinda thought that yet wasn't sure.

thx,

Jaime

TeriAnn
11-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm glad that this thread has become educational and is passing on the purpose of the tops and bottoms of the metal panel design. You can't believe that the Brits would design a REAL Land Rover without a built in bottle opener. It was only when the safety folks started redesigning things that the design started going down hill.

I always think its kinda sad when I see a bottle opener bolted to a Series II/IIA. It shows someone out of touch with their truck.

This is something that every owner should know and it only gets passed along mouth to mouth. Maybe someone should write a web page to help pass this lore on. :rolleyes:

greasyhandsagain
11-19-2009, 02:45 PM
My favorite "extra" is the metal can that nestles close to the exhaust manifold, so that a cup of tea can be made as soon as the journey is over. Learned that some years ago when LRW ran a story on the chap in South Africa...the short little old timer who is their guru who drove the red 109.

But then again I drink about 2 beers a year so the bottle opener dosent do me any good.

ivarra
11-19-2009, 03:05 PM
It was only when the safety folks started redesigning things that the design started going down hill.

I agree ... who cares about grab handles now ... we need to know what other secrets these vehicles provide for us ...

We have honestly used the breakfast (front grille) to bbq (braai) in South Africa
You get a better body shakedown that those fancy expensive massage chairs you buy at Brookstone
Bicep builders, unless of course you have power steering
anything else ??

LaneRover
11-19-2009, 04:51 PM
My favorite "extra" is the metal can that nestles close to the exhaust manifold, so that a cup of tea can be made as soon as the journey is over. Learned that some years ago when LRW ran a story on the chap in South Africa...the short little old timer who is their guru who drove the red 109.

But then again I drink about 2 beers a year so the bottle opener dosent do me any good.

It also works on root beer bottle tops (or just about any glass bottle with a cap)

Terrys
11-19-2009, 05:01 PM
real ales don't have twist off tops.
True enough, but even the "real Ale" bottled or widget canned is only a barely acceptable alternative to pumped, not gassed, ales from the keg

TedW
11-20-2009, 12:43 PM
I always think its kinda sad when I see a bottle opener bolted to a Series II/IIA. It shows someone out of touch with their truck.

I must respectfully disagree with TeriAnn. The underdash opener, while handy for opening the occasional bottle of road sauce, is inconveniently located for servicing a tailgate bacchanal like those held at the British Invasion. My corner trim-mounted Rocky Mountain opener fills the bill and never gets lost (see avatar above).

I have also found that the underdash unit displays too much flex when opening a bottle of Sebago Rip Tide Red Ale, my official lubricant.

amcordo
11-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Why is everyone calling it a grab bar? Call it by it's official ISO certified name : "OH, SH%& handle".