X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usadventureracing
    1st Gear
    • Sep 2008

Hardtop Windows How To

I am starting some winter projects and want to replace the window seals, sliders. Currently the windows do not slide and the sliders are all rusted out. Does our host have these? Also, does anyone have any insight on how to do this?

Thanks

Brett
    1968 Series IIa 88 w/ hardtop - SOLD
    1970 Series IIa 88 (parts car)
    M416 Trailer
    2008 Toyota FJ
    2009 Volvo C30
    1983 D110
    http://68landy.blogspot.com/2010/01/blog-post.html
  • Bertha
    3rd Gear
    • Nov 2007

Check out Teri-Anns' site, she has covered this step by step(as well as a host of other Rover repairs)

1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Comment

• TeriAnn
      Overdrive
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by usadventureracing
      I am starting some winter projects and want to replace the window seals, sliders. Currently the windows do not slide and the sliders are all rusted out. Does our host have these? Also, does anyone have any insight on how to do this?
      Pretty much all the Series parts suppliers have replacement channels. The channels are held in by screws located in the bottom of the channel. You need to locate them & remove them. You start with the top channels, remove the glass then do the bottom channels.

I have not done the door channels for a couple decades so I'll leave step by step instructions to anyone who has done it recently.

If you are referring to rear side sliding windows on the hard top sides, to paraphrase some popular commercials "There's a page for that".

-

Teriann Wakeman_________
      Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• kevkon
        3rd Gear
        • Aug 2009

TeriAnn, Why is it that you can find all of the good Rocky Mountain stuff on the http://www.rockymountainspares.co.uk site but not the North American site? I can't figure that one Do you know if everything available on the UK site is available here as well?

One trick I learned when replacing the channels is to keep them in order and use the old channels as templates for the screw hole in the new channels. I admit it's a little more work, but it makes it easier when installing the new ones. Also some masking tape marked with the hole locations.
        94 D-90 tdi
        72 Series III

Comment

• Jim-ME
          Overdrive
          • Oct 2006

My experience with RM is that if you call them they have what you are looking for. Their contact information is here: http://www.roverdrives.com/accessories.html. They don't show all their stuff as it says the accessories page is still under construction. I called them last week loking for replacement screws for their transfer case sump and believe I talked to Ray himself. He was great to deal with.
          Jim

Comment

• TeriAnn
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by kevkon
            TeriAnn, Why is it that you can find all of the good Rocky Mountain stuff on the http://www.rockymountainspares.co.uk site but not the North American site? I can't figure that one Do you know if everything available on the UK site is available here as well?
            I have no idea, I'm not associated with them. But please feel free to ask me about the British Pacific web site.

I believe most if not all of the stuff in the UK site is available in BC. I think it interesting that they used my picture of my front wheel showing the disc brake conversion I just completed. I have a modified version of their 4 way flasher, their transfercase dipstick, the disc brake conversion and the replacement channels for the rear side window all from BC.
            -

Teriann Wakeman_________
            Flagstaff, AZ.

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• kevkon
              3rd Gear
              • Aug 2009

Thanks TerriAnn and Jim.
              Their marketing kinda reminds me of a Monty Python skit.
              94 D-90 tdi
              72 Series III

Comment

• TeriAnn
                Overdrive
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by kevkon
                Thanks TerriAnn and Jim.
                Their marketing kinda reminds me of a Monty Python skit.
                All too true. They won't tell you what they sell other than springs and overdrives (which are each in their own web sites so you won't know about the other if you find one) but if you discover what hidden products they sell by alternate means and ask for it by name they feel obliged to sell it to you. I don't think their man in the UK read the skit before he built the web site.

John Cleese would make a good Ray Wood.
                -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                Flagstaff, AZ.

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• kevkon
                  3rd Gear
                  • Aug 2009

Maybe they should open a cheese shop
                  94 D-90 tdi