PDA

View Full Version : Just been through a totally crazy situation with the Points!

greasyhandsagain
11-22-2009, 03:04 PM
OK. A simple thing I done wrong had both me and my cousin totally confused, until he got out his multimeter and figured it out.

Put new points in, and then got NOTHING. No spark, nothing.

I had put the low tension lead, and the condenser wire on TOP of the little plastic washer thingy on top of the point "frame" (I dont know the proper term) and got nothing.

After a long period of head scratching, and changing wires around, he figured out that the low tension wire and the condenser wire end needed to go directly on top of the metal of the point frame, instead on top of the plastic washer.

A totally dumb little thing, but the rover had ZERO spark without these items arranged in the correct manner.

Live and learn, eh?

LaneRover
11-22-2009, 04:59 PM
I've done that a few times myself.

greasyhandsagain
11-22-2009, 06:46 PM
It is amazing that something so totally teeny and innocent can render the vehicle totally useless.

I imagine that scenario has played itself out numerous times....

LaneRover
11-22-2009, 07:59 PM
It is amazing that something so totally teeny and innocent can render the vehicle totally useless.

Kind of like mice in the wiring.

siiirhd88
11-22-2009, 08:47 PM
I once bought a non running MG for $35.00..... After 5 minutes work to fix the same incorrectly installed points I drove it home. I later sold it for considerably more.

Bob
'96 Disco SE7
'81 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

Nium
11-22-2009, 10:11 PM
At least, it's one of those things you usually only have to do once, as I can say as having been there at least once myself.

thixon
11-23-2009, 08:06 AM
DO NOT beat yourself up over that one. I'll bet everyone on this board has done it at least once.

Look at it this way, at least you did'nt do on the side of the road in the dark during a rain storm!:D

NickDawson
11-23-2009, 08:12 AM
reminds me of my broken roter cap button... checked (and replaced darned near) everything - ended up being a broken carbon tip in the roter cap...
ockham's razor every time

Nium
11-23-2009, 08:39 AM
reminds me of my broken roter cap button... checked (and replaced darned near) everything - ended up being a broken carbon tip in the roter cap...
ockham's razor every time

Nick you helped me help someone else. I was chatting with a fellow that was having ignition problems after replacing cap, rotor, points, condenser, plug, and wires on a Lucas 25D4. Initially he had the points setup wrong, just like you did greasyhandagain, then after he got the LT lead and condenser wire on the right way he still wasn't getting any spark at the plugs. Made me think of you Nick and I suggested he check the center electrode on the cap. Sure enough the center electrode of the new cap was missing. :thumb-up:

NickDawson
11-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Nick you helped me help someone else.Made me think of you Nick and I suggested he check the center electrode on the cap. Sure enough the center electrode of the new cap was missing.

What a great outcome! Your friend was lucky to have your expertise just glad my trials led to some good thinking.
Similarly, I will never again forget to check the fuel shutoff solenoid on a carb either :) Two things to check that are now burned into my brain as a result.

LaneRover
11-23-2009, 09:02 AM
DO NOT beat yourself up over that one. I'll bet everyone on this board has done it at least once.

Look at it this way, at least you did'nt do on the side of the road in the dark during a rain storm!:D

Heck, I think that I've done it twice!

Luckily that was before going over to a friend's house who did the same thing. I quickly realized what had happened looked at the points on another truck and we fixed the problem. At the same time I showed him how to use his lower dash as a bottle opener so was the definite hero of the day!

Brent

greasyhandsagain
11-23-2009, 11:43 AM
I have to add something very funny that happened. (and please this is not a racist post)

The building I have my shop in also has a Church downstairs, and as some churches are, this is basically a Black church (again, not racist). As I worked out front, with wires and books spread out under the hood, and a look of despair, Services were soon to take place. Very well dressed Ladies and Gentlemen arrived, dozen of people...and started going inside. One of the ladies said to me.."Looks like you have a problem there!" .....I said, yup, just put points on and now it wont even run. two hours ago I was driving trails back in the woods...and NOW it wont even run! Oh well, I said, They can fix these things in the middle of Africa, I should be able to do it here......She says Laughing.. "Well we have plenty of Black People here, let us know if we can help!"

With a laugh I replied, "Well, ask around and if anyones worked on fifty year old land rovers...send 'em out!" :-)