PDA

View Full Version : To Convert the Ex-MOD to LHD or leave it RHD??

toga Rover
11-22-2009, 10:52 PM
I clicked the "post a poll" button for this - hopefully it works.

So I am now at the point of deciding whether to keep the 109 Ex_MOD RHD or convert it to LHD?

The blue SIII 88 has a good motor and tranny, but a bad frame. I could just take the motor & tranny, drop it in the 109, and call it a day, or I could cut out the "steering bell" (or whatever it's called) on the front left side of the frame (plasma cutter) from the 88, and take the steering linkages and footwell box for the peddles, and make the 109 into a LHD rig.

I have no problem driving RHD, but my wife would struggle with it, and she likes to go off-roading with me (and I'll admit she got our old RR Classic out of some knarly spots).

Should there be a the time to move on to another project, will those in RoverLand be as willing to buy a RHD 109 as they would a LHD? With so many Ex_MOD's out there, would I be hurting the value of the truck?

The world of Series trucks is new to me. I am very curious if there are strong opinions one way or another about this conversion. So here we go.....

badvibes
11-23-2009, 04:48 AM
toga-

I voted LHD because a 109, LHD, with a truck cab would be a sweet truck. Something I would like to own. Good luck either way.

Jeff

SafeAirOne
11-23-2009, 04:59 AM
If you drive it regularly, adapting to RHD is easy--It only takes 3 or 4 weeks till the lane position feels natural and you can shift without thinking about it.

Off road driving is easier too--The differentials line up under your left foot, the wheels line up under your right foot.

I say "leave it where the Queen intended it to be!"

yorker
11-23-2009, 05:52 AM
I'd leave it RHD- that is part of the charm imho. They are a piece of cake to drive, your wife will figure it out.

LaneRover
11-23-2009, 07:26 AM
I vote to keep it RHD if the only reason is that your wife is currently uncomfortable with it. Now if the reason is that she has a hook for a left hand and can't shift then maybe LHD is a good bet.

Brent

Tim Smith
11-23-2009, 08:53 AM
I say LHD because I look for it when I'm considering a rover. I don't think the novelty of RHD would be much fun in modern rush hour traffic. Of course, I tend to use mine as daily driver.

SafeAirOne
11-23-2009, 09:25 AM
I don't think the novelty of RHD would be much fun in modern rush hour traffic. Of course, I tend to use mine as daily driver.

My RHD is my daily driver. Granted, we don't have a whole lot of rush-hour traffic here in New Hamphsire, but I'm not sure I see the advantage of going 3mph sitting on the left side over going 3mph sitting on the right. In fact, it is easier to carry on a conversation with your traffic jam neighbor when you're driving a RHD rover! :D

Now if you had raised the "no toll booths/McDonald's drive-thrus/drive up ATMs & bank tellers" issue, I'd have to agree with you there.;)

lrdukdog
11-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I voted to change it over. I have driven a rhd and it's IMO a PITA to 1-change lanes, 2- anything drive through, 3- parallal parking 4- there must be more that I can't remember right now.
Jim Wolf

thixon
11-23-2009, 12:46 PM
My first was a righty. DD for years. Reversing through a drive through is awesome. :thumb-up:

Tim Smith
11-23-2009, 12:57 PM
My RHD is my daily driver. Granted, we don't have a whole lot of rush-hour traffic here in New Hamphsire, but I'm not sure I see the advantage of going 3mph sitting on the left side over going 3mph sitting on the right. In fact, it is easier to carry on a conversation with your traffic jam neighbor when you're driving a RHD rover! :D

Now if you had raised the "no toll booths/McDonald's drive-thrus/drive up ATMs & bank tellers" issue, I'd have to agree with you there.;)
Lets just say that driving rush hour traffic in a series truck requires an acute awareness of your fenders, around my neck of the woods. :eek:

LaneRover
11-23-2009, 01:54 PM
In a RHD toll booths weren't too much a problem though a few of them didn't like my dog being the closest one (got me through a toll for free once though!)

The only time RHD was a hindrance to me was taking a right onto a road that was at a slight acute angle to the road I was turning onto AND I had my windowless canvas top on. I was fine backing into ATM's and tend drive-thru's. Changing lanes was never a problem and though you think that parallel parking would be easier it isn't but it is just a perspective thing.

If the only reason is because at the moment your wife isn't very comfortable with it I would say that after a few times of driving it she would feel like it is 2nd nature to her. The first time I drove mine I felt like a drunk ape with a slight palsey but within a day or two was absolutely fine.

JimCT
11-23-2009, 04:29 PM
A RHD LR is so much easier to work on. Look at where the master cylinders are. The exhaust is not beneath your feet. I had a RHD 109 station wagon for years and it was great.

Bertha
11-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Living in the NY metro area and back in the days before EZ pass(and me having multiple vehicles at my disposal), I found RHD to be an annoyance. Sure it was fun for about the first 1k-2k miles. I picked it up pretty easily, the stares and reactions from people were fun, however practicality prevailed and it started getting old. About 8K miles later and in need of restoration, I converted it to LHD-18 years and about 70k miles later, I have no regrets. If you are worried about resale, LHD would be the way to go.

Cutter
11-23-2009, 10:01 PM
I voted keep it RH but upon thinking, I would swap it to LHD. You have everything you need to do the swap which is the big thing. It also seems like a fun project and yes, I think most people would prefer a LHD here in the states so if you ever want to sell it, its definitely more valuable.

Nice 109 btw!

LaneRover
11-24-2009, 08:28 AM
A RHD LR is so much easier to work on. Look at where the master cylinders are. The exhaust is not beneath your feet. I had a RHD 109 station wagon for years and it was great.

This is definitely a benefit!

Well, in the winter in Maine I did miss the exhaust being by my feet!

greasyhandsagain
11-24-2009, 12:56 PM
*When* I finally get the 1948 which will eventually come my way (isnt the future great?) it will no doubt be RHD. But, for the sake of driving here in the USA I am very happy that my 1958 S2 is a LHD version.

RHD would be great fun though if you have a very large dog who likes to sit up front when you go for drives :)

thixon
11-24-2009, 01:04 PM
if you leave it a righty, be ready for the dreaded mail truck jokes.

LaneRover
11-24-2009, 10:04 PM
if you leave it a righty, be ready for the dreaded mail truck jokes.

Then you get to mention that hearing that joke REALLY makes you want to 'Go Postal!'

cscutt
11-25-2009, 10:01 PM
without a doubt, RHD is the way to go. It takes about three weeks to get used to it, but once you do, it will seem much more enjoyable to watch the window lickers look at you with that "look" as to why there is no driver on the left side of the machine. I love my RHD compared to my LHD,:thumb-up: I put my two Border Collies in the left side of the cab to add to the illusion.

toga Rover
11-26-2009, 09:50 PM
500 People have looked at the poll, and only 29 have voted?
Come on folks, let your voices be heard.......

Pretty Please? :)

LaneRover
11-27-2009, 05:25 AM
500 People have looked at the poll, and only 29 have voted?
Come on folks, let your voices be heard.......

Pretty Please? :)

I have looked many times but only voted once.

TeriAnn
11-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Personally I think the whole poll thing to choose RHD or LHD is rather silly and bad idea unless you have already decided and are doing the poll just for jollys.

You and your wife are the ones who will be driving it. Not us. You are the ones who need to be happy with it. The only poll that remotely matters is what you and your wife think.

That said, it has been my observation that LHD LRs are easier to sell in North America and command a higher price. Also it is easier, for me at least, to get a detailed view of what's going on alongside you on the vehicle side that you are driving on.

While anyone can get used to anything if they wish to, it seems like RHD in North American is mostly a novelty act with a constant confusion factor. But is there any advantage beyond that and does it remain a fun novelty once the newness wears off?

Poll yourself and your wife. The rest of us don't matter.

JackIIA
11-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Left hand drive is gaining slowly in the polls.....

or rather, catching up