PDA

View Full Version : Distributor Lubrication

jac04
11-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm getting ready to start my SIII, which has a Lucas 45D distributor. I couldn't find any info in the service manual about lubricating the distributor. My old Rover had a Lucas 25D and the manual stated to lubricate with oil down the center of the dist. shaft.
Does the Lucas 45D require the same lubrication down the center of the shaft?

Bertha
11-23-2009, 03:21 PM
I always find it is good practice to apply a tiny amount of grease to the shaft. It helps to prevent wear on the red(or blue depending on the distrib) plastic part of the points, and with what has been comig through these days in the way of points, they need all the help they can get.

jac04
11-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks. I'm running a Pertronix, so I won't need to lube the cam lobe surface. I eventually found some info. Per the repair manual, it looks like everything is supposed to be greased at assembly, then periodically the shaft bushing is oiled through the top of the shaft and the advance mechanism is oiled as well. There is supposed to be a small felt pad at the top of the shaft. I took the cap off my NOS distributor and everything was greased nicely, so I didn't lube anything. However, I didn't have the felt pad-not sure why.

stomper
11-24-2009, 06:20 AM
if I am not mistaken, I believe the small felt pad you are referring to is part of the points assembly, and lubricates the lobe of the shaft. If you have a petronix ignition, then you wouldn't have this felt pad. If there is another felt pad somewhere, then I am missing it also.

jac04
11-24-2009, 07:00 AM
^^ There is supposed to be a felt pad at the top of the distributor shaft as well.

kevin-ct
11-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Yes, I would use a drop or two of Mobile one oil. This will keep the shaft lubed so the weights will not bind. Should be lubed once a year.