PDA

View Full Version : New Glass for the windscreen....

jrd51ox
11-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Just wanted to check the forum for any suggestions or lessons learned from the past concerning replacing the windshields in a SIII.

I am planning on buying the glass from our host, Part#: PLE319, then have Safelite come to the house and install for $100 even.

Do you think this will be a straight up job for any glass professional or will a series be a curve ball for the tech?

jac04
11-23-2009, 01:30 PM
The job is very easy. The only thing to watch out for is the little screws holding the glass retaining strips in place - you don't want to strip these.

Now, on my install I noticed that the butyl glass sealer that I purchased from RN seemed a little thin, but I ended up with a good seal on the glass after pressing everything into place.

Some glass companies will no longer use the butyl tape/ribbon and they will want to use a urethane adhesive for installation. I can't possibly see how the urethane can be used for installation of a Series windshield. You may want to verify that they have the proper butyl for installation before they come out to perform the install.

thixon
11-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Why not bank the benjamin and do it yourself. Its an easy task.

jrd51ox
11-23-2009, 02:16 PM
I just don't trust myself. Before I bought the series my only automotive experience was changing my oil.

Rather pay and have done right the first time.

superstator
11-23-2009, 02:49 PM
I dont know that I'd trust the safelite guy any more than my own butterfingers. Learn by doing, and I bet you can't break anything that costs more than $100 to fix anyway :)

Bertha
11-23-2009, 03:17 PM
If you want to trek over to Westchester County NY, I will help you do it for free. I usually use the 3m strip caulk product. I find it is easy to work with and looks very close to the original stuff that Rover used, and makes a good seal. Are you doing it with the windshield frame still in the truck?

jrd51ox
11-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Yes the frame is on the truck. Thanks for the offer Bertha, but without a OD I'm more than a little hestitant to take her up the GSPW & Turnpike.

Bertha
11-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Yes the frame is on the truck. Thanks for the offer Bertha, but without a OD I'm more than a little hestitant to take her up the GSPW & Turnpike.

Door is always open(the garage door that is) anytime you need.

Mercedesrover
11-24-2009, 05:27 AM
The Safelight guy isn't going to have any idea how to install that glass and isn't interested in learning. He'll break the first one and refuse to install the second. You will be much better off taking some time, asking some questions and doing it yourself.

yorker
11-24-2009, 06:22 AM
Why not get a heated windscreen (http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/5772)while you are at it?

Terrys
11-24-2009, 06:36 AM
Seriously, save your money and do it yourself. It's a boatload easier with the windscreen laying on a pair of sawhorses, but not difficult to do in place, just a little awkward. On the wrench scale, this job is in the same category as changing your oil. It's so easy a Caveman ......sorry.

Bertha
11-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Why not get a heated windscreen (http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/5772)while you are at it?

They are really great. I have them on my 109. I wanted to get them for my 88, but the pricing has gone through the roof on them.

thixon
11-24-2009, 07:21 AM
JRD51OX,

I'm currently waiting on a new piece of glass from our hosts. If you can wait, I'll take a bunch of step by step photos when I do the install, and post everything up with descriptions. I plan to knock this out asap, but I have to wait for the glass to show up. They shipped it yesterday, but its thanksgiving week so that may hold things up.

Let me know if you want me to do this, if it won't help then I won't bother.

kevkon
11-24-2009, 07:51 AM
I'd agree completely wih MercedesRover. Those guys are used to working from the outside and not dealing with a hundred tiny screws, and old school glazing putty.

jrd51ox
11-24-2009, 07:58 AM
After everyones replies I think I'll be doing this myself.

thixon,
Thanks alot for your offer, please keep me posted on your install, that will be a huge help.

Jeremy