PDA

View Full Version : won't go over 35-40mph

weatherm
11-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Ok well guru's you see the title. I went through and replaced the fuel sending unit (unfortunately it was bad out of the box --a old spare I had) and the ignition wires and the temp sender unit. Well I go drive it and cranks right up but it stalls out at about 35.. engine is still running sort of and then begins to jerk and lurch. So I let off the gas and can only go around 35ish.

I messed w/ the carb after that but that hasn't helped any
I swapped back to the old plug wires
Made sure all the wires and everything were connected

I'm at a brick wall. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

KingSlug
11-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Fuel pump?

brucejohn
11-24-2009, 07:39 PM
I am certainly not a guru. You didn't mention checking the fuel system though you just worked on it. Check sediment bowl on fuel pump, check fuel filter and replace if necessary. Does this happen as vehicle heats up? Has the vehicle been running fine until this recent work, or has she been sitting a while?

KevinNY
11-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Certainly sounds like a fuel starvation issue.

weatherm
11-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Worked fine that day... did the work that night... no workie in the morning... just a stall... like just lost fuel or something.

its was sitting for a few days until i did the work...

cleaned out the bowl and still nothing.

happened when it was cold and seems to be happening more as it gets warmer... ( could be psychological)

Nium
11-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Check the adjusment of the points. If you have a Lucas 25D4 dizzy make sure the low tension lead is in good condition.

Did you get the smoking issue at start up sorted out?

weatherm
11-24-2009, 09:14 PM
k. I'll check tomorrow when I have daylight. I'm tired of walking outside in the dark.

Yeah it just happened that one time. Its the season change I believe.. just the condensation. I managed to spit out soot / rust / and water out of the tail pipe tonight.. its b/c I need a new muffler. Its swiss cheese.

SafeAirOne
11-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Which type/year rover? My 73 SIII has a fine mesh screen at the botom of the fuel uplift tube in the fuel tank that gets clogged up with crap every now and then. I'll be going along at highway speeds, then I'll start to loose power, till I can't go very fast at all. If I keep driving, the vacuum developed in the fuel system (from the pump trying to suck fuel through the clogged screen) will eventually equal the pump's output ability and the engine will stop from fuel starvation.

However, when I drive slow enough, the fuel needs of the engine are small enough that that amount of fuel can still be sucked through the clogged screen and it takes a lot longer to build that suction-induced fuel defecit.

I have also had the same symptoms occur when a flap of rubberized cloth delaminated on the inside of my flexible engine air intake hose. It would be OK when I was at low RPM, but would swing out, blocking almost all the intake air to the engine when I depressed the accelerator. The black smoke pouring out of the tailpipe helped easily diagnose this in my case.

I don't use a distributor, but you may check to see that the ignition timing is right and that the vacuum and mechanical (centrifugal) advance are working properly. It might be workable at low RPMs, but not be able to keep the engine running properly at higher RPMs.

So to summarize: You should be able to narrow it to the fuel system, the intake air system or the ignition system. :rolleyes:

glbft1
11-25-2009, 06:47 AM
Had the exact same thing happen. blew a fuel pump replaced with a new one with a glass bowl, ran but sputtered at 35-40. asked around and found out some of the replacement fuel pumps with the glass bowl run at lower pressure, got a updated pump from our hosts without glass bowl and she ran like a top, it worked for me so give it a try.
Greg:thumb-up:

NickDawson
11-25-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm with Nium and am inclined to go over the points and low tension lead with a fine toothed proverbial comb.

Although, isn't 40 about top speed for a rover anyway :D ?

weatherm
11-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Its a '80 series 3 :)

40mph top.. no way man this thing cruises at 55-60!

I'll try swapping the filters ( use my old one and see whats up.. then check the dizzy

weatherm
11-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Alright! well next time you replace a fuel sending unit make sure that the filter doesn't hit the end of the vacumn tube! What a potatoe head move so just check it guys.

BTW.. if anyone ever gives you britpart stuff as spares.. throw it away :)

Time to order a proper one for RN.

brucejohn
11-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Glad you figured it out. An easy fix is always a good outcome.

SafeAirOne
11-26-2009, 07:53 AM
BTW.. if anyone ever gives you britpart stuff as spares.. throw it away :)

Glad you got it taken care of. It's easy to narrow down the problem if it worked before you "fixed" it, and it didn't work after you "fixed" it! :D

I think the general consensus is that as soon as you recieve anything BritPart you should immediately install it in the trash can as that is the only place it will really fit/work.

weatherm
11-26-2009, 09:38 AM
correct :)

Even if they are given to you as spares :) chunk em.. or shoot them.. thats always funner

jgkmmoore
11-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Condenser. Try replacing it.Common malady.