PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast anyone?

ignotus
11-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Hi,

I am looking for information about the breakfast on my 88.
It is a 2a with the inverted T holes. However there is no provision for headlights. The PO had a series 3 plastic grill which I have since replaced with the proper 2a grill. So is it a one of a kind or have the holes been filled in? There is paint on both sides so until I want to remove the paint I can't answer the being filled in question.
Bonus points if you can tell me what the 4 holes were for.

gene

Les Parker
11-25-2009, 02:08 PM
This is a standard Late IIa front panel, not sure where the breakfast come from!
The 4 holes are for the spire nut retainers to fit into.

:)

scott
11-25-2009, 02:20 PM
what year is your iia? my guess is that breakfast whether original to your truck or not was manufactured late 67 early 68. breakfast for the first bugeyes maybe. you know, faster to stop punching headlamp holes in the same style of breakfast they've been making since '59 than to retool and make the newer 11a breakfast.

ignotus
11-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Les,

It is my impression that when the headlights went out to the wings that the breakfast was produced with the "+" shape holes and corresponding grill. As for the 4 holes what would they retain? they do not line up with either the 2a or 3 grills.

Scott,

My 2a is vinned as a 60 but obviously it is not. Either it was revinned or someone went thru alot of work to put 2a parts on it. Would be nice to know the history....

gene

Nium
11-25-2009, 06:27 PM
If you can verify the chassis number off the frame or if you want to use the chassis number from the plate in the cabin you can get in touch with these folks and for a little bit of money they'll look up some history for you...
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/namgar/bmiht/bmiht.htm

For general chassis number identification...
http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html

leafsprung
11-26-2009, 06:26 PM
take a picture of tha back side of it to see if it has been modified, its not a bugeye panel nor is it a late SIIA panel.

Nium
11-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Maybe it's Lightweight breakfast that was bodged in. Does it look like the sides that join up to the fenders have been cut towards the top?