PDA

View Full Version : warm up

badvibes
11-25-2009, 09:13 PM
First I know that New Mexico cold is nothing like Maine cold, but I'm a wimp. My truck runs like an absolute pig until it warms up well. The manual choke will keep it running but it misses, backfires and just runs very rough until well warmed up. I'm wondering about some type of add on engine heater, block type, inline on a raditor hose, whatever. Anybody use one, what type, and what do you like about it or dislike about it? I'd appreciate some feedback from experience to help me decide what I'd like to try. Thanks.

Jeff

scott
11-25-2009, 10:39 PM
jeff

you know mine has the 110v lower rad hose heater. haven't had to use it in a while. i'm just posting this to get even w/ ya. you know i hate it every time you swing open the rear door to your clean uncluttered tub. the pd starts w/o choke and is ready to go after about two minutes of idling and this almost makes up for having for having the pig stye behind me

if you want we can swap out lower rad hoses and you could see if that helps but dude it's only been in the twenties. what are you going to do when the glaciers return?

badvibes
11-25-2009, 11:07 PM
jeff

you know mine has the 110v lower rad hose heater. Yep. haven't had to use it in a while. I didn't know you had ever used it. i'm just posting this to get even w/ ya. you know i hate it every time you swing open the rear door to your clean uncluttered tub.
http://i49.tinypic.com/15iai53.jpg
the pd starts w/o choke and is ready to go after about two minutes of idling and this almost makes up for having for having the pig stye behind me

if you want we can swap out lower rad hoses and you could see if that helps but dude it's only been in the twenties. I could also put away all the junk I have sitting out in the way and park inside the garage, that would prevent the problem. what are you going to do when the glaciers return? I'm gonna go all sled dog.

Still seeking more opinions.....

KingSlug
11-26-2009, 09:47 AM
This might seem silly since I am in SoCal, didnt have issue in Hilo. I have a mylar/bubble wrap windscreen sunblocker, so when I start up I walk up front and put the sunblocker against the breakfast to prevent airflow to the radiator and oil cooler. Yes, its a poor mans version of a radiator muff. But with a MOD rover its always over cooled, the 8 bladed fan sucks enough air that you can feel the breeze at idle. Soon as the oil temp gauge needle starts deflecting, I remove the air blocker and I am ready to go.

Jared

scott
12-04-2009, 09:16 AM
well this was a new problem for me. woke up and it was 13`F. when out to start it up and the rubber cover for the starter button was so cold and hard it took me a while to get to where i could push it in. it's a cheapy from autozone...guess i should have stay w/ an original

badvibes
12-04-2009, 09:19 AM
well this was a new problem for me. woke up and it was 13`F. when out to start it up and the rubber cover for the starter button was so cold and hard it took me a while to get to where i could push it in.

chief-

Well there's another difference in our trucks. Mine has a metal button on the end of a metal post coming thru the bulkhead. You must have the deluxe starter button.

stomper
12-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Wow, that cold weather really sucks, it was in the 40's this morning up here in Maine today! Bring on the global warming, Maine will be the next Florida!

gudjeon
12-04-2009, 12:12 PM
The OVLR web site has an a part # for a plunk in block heater you can get from any good North American parts store. It goes into one the frost plug holes. I put mine in the centre right before I put on the manifolds.:rolleyes:
I would imagine using the rear frost plug hole would work as the original optional one was threaded into the rear of the block.

I also had an in line unit that hooked up with the heater line. This worked OK but you had to mount it as low as possible in order to work properly.

Rad muff/cover is helpful. I started mine up today at -15c this morning. This is my frosty reminder to drop the 15w40 for something more suitable.:thumb-up:

rbonnett
12-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Wow, that cold weather really sucks, it was in the 40's this morning up here in Maine today! Bring on the global warming, Maine will be the next Florida!

And 68 here in Portland yesterday :eek: Made me wish I had held off insulating the soft top.

badvibes
12-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I also had an in line unit that hooked up with the heater line. This worked OK but you had to mount it as low as possible in order to work properly. I started mine up today at -15c this morning. This is my frosty reminder to drop the 15w40 for something more suitable.:thumb-up:

I guess I'm leaning toward this type as it sounds easier to install. Had to add oil this AM, I run 20W50, talk about slooow to pour. Like scott mentioned it was @ 13 degrees earlier and isn't supposed to get out of the 30s today, it's 23 right now. At least I have a heater that works good.

Jeff

scott
12-04-2009, 01:30 PM
And 68 here in Portland yesterday :eek: Made me wish I had held off insulating the soft top.

yak it up you two, albuquerque gets maybe 10 days a year of below freez'n temps. oregon is soggy and i know maine is about to enter it's months long period of dang it's freak'n cold

stomper
12-04-2009, 01:55 PM
I wish it were only a month, it is closer to 3-4 months. It has been unusually warm around here, but I think if it weren't for the snakes, I would move to New Mexico too.

gudjeon
12-04-2009, 03:34 PM
We are supposed to go down into the -20's of C for the next while. I am not a huge proponent of synthetics, but I am going to give some 5W50 a try this winter. Normally, I have run with 10w40 for winter and it works well unless it stays below -20c for long. I have to park where I can't plug in so I need something good for cold start up. The gear oils sure hate it when it gets like this. It feels like the park brake is left on for the first mile.

scott
12-04-2009, 05:00 PM
We are supposed to go down into the -20's of C for the next while. I am not a huge proponent of synthetics, but I am going to give some 5W50 a try this winter. Normally, I have run with 10w40 for winter and it works well unless it stays below -20c for long. I have to park where I can't plug in so I need something good for cold start up. The gear oils sure hate it when it gets like this. It feels like the park brake is left on for the first mile.

yea mines a bit slugish at first with the gear oil all thickened but i like the way it makes my driveline feel all tight. i imagine that this is what it must have felt like win it was new

rbonnett
12-06-2009, 12:46 PM

68 to first snow in 72 hours - no wonder my joints ache

ybt502r
12-06-2009, 01:28 PM
In Calgary, it's -18C (about zero F) and that's the high for today. I had synthetics in the engine and drive train last winter, but the 90w synthetics leaked just that much better (when I was able to check in the spring). I have a mix of 80% natural to 20% synthetic in the gearboxes now (kept the full synthetic in the differentials); the engine is still full synthetic. I run a lower radiator hose heater and a muff. The truck hardly ever gets warm inside (still the stock heater), but the engine and drive train run well enough. It's just too darn cold to spend time on my back checking fluids, so I need to get everything shipshape to last the winter.

The radiator muff is really key to getting (and keeping) the engine warm. I've a rebuilt Zenith and Pertronix igintion, and the engine has not failed to fire right up.

Uhh...what was this thread about originally anyway?

badvibes
12-07-2009, 04:11 AM
I wish it were only a month, it is closer to 3-4 months. It has been unusually warm around here, but I think if it weren't for the snakes, I would move to New Mexico too.

ybt502r-

I think it was about snakes?

Jeff

scott
12-07-2009, 10:21 AM
ybt502r-

I think it was about snakes?

Jeff

Snakes! not the dreaded Snow Snakes!

badvibes
12-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Uhh...what was this thread about originally anyway?

I remember what it was now, me being a wimp cuz I want my truck to warm up faster and run better. Here's what this mornings drive home from work looked like. Not much snow but with winds gusting to 60 mph the slush on the roads is now a sheet of ice.

http://i47.tinypic.com/f2tv6p.jpg

Getting closer to my neighborhood.

http://i46.tinypic.com/34i0gug.jpg

My neighborhood, just a block from home.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2euslyd.jpg

This is a preview of what's headed your way Easteners. It may be no big deal for you guys but I'm a desert dweller, Albuquerque drivers are crazy as it is, put them on a sheet of ice and the potential is unlimited.....

Jeff

scott
12-08-2009, 01:18 PM
jeff

we have no cell phone while driving laws here now, there's talk of law that says no texting while driving, do we have to add no picture taking too!

badvibes
12-08-2009, 01:48 PM
we have no cell phone while driving laws here now, there's talk of law that says no texting while driving, do we have to add no picture taking too!

Sir the vehicle is obviously a British made Land Rover and as everyone knows those crazy people drive on the wrong side of the road because they sit and drive in the wrong seat in the vehicle. So I must have been the passenger in that seat taking the pictures, yeah that's the ticket.....

.....and Morgan Fairchild is my wife.

amcordo
12-08-2009, 03:11 PM
This is the reason I've been planning on getting/did get my rover:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=columbus+blizzard+stuck&m=text

This blizzard hit last year and nothing could move - the big 13 ton city busses were getting stuck on the roads. Naturally, I needed to be somewhere. So pulled out my one wheel drive Chrysler Crossfire and didn't go anywhere.

I started looking for a Jeep/light SUV and then ended up with probably the best/worst choice for winter driving: an ungalvanized LR! Wahoo!

PS those are random pictures of the blizzard, not mine.

SafeAirOne
12-08-2009, 10:02 PM
This is a preview of what's headed your way Easteners. It may be no big deal for you guys but I'm a desert dweller, Albuquerque drivers are crazy as it is, put them on a sheet of ice and the potential is unlimited.....

Jeff

I WISH that was what was headed this way! Looks like you're TWICE as lucky--You had very mild winter weather AND you don't have an inch of rock salt all over the roads! Lucky dog... ;)

scott
12-09-2009, 01:22 PM
I WISH that was what was headed this way! Looks like you're TWICE as lucky--You had very mild winter weather AND you don't have an inch of rock salt all over the roads! Lucky dog... ;)

even with all the snakes out here it's worth it given that we don't salt our winter roads and humidity is low. we usually just wait 'till noon here as that's when the passive solar snow removal kicks in. mild winters (except in the elevations over 7500') and no rust makes new mex a great place to own an old truck

yorker
12-10-2009, 09:56 AM
First I know that New Mexico cold is nothing like Maine cold, but I'm a wimp. My truck runs like an absolute pig until it warms up well. The manual choke will keep it running but it misses, backfires and just runs very rough until well warmed up. I'm wondering about some type of add on engine heater, block type, inline on a raditor hose, whatever. Anybody use one, what type, and what do you like about it or dislike about it? I'd appreciate some feedback from experience to help me decide what I'd like to try. Thanks.

Jeff

here you go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Bunsen-Kerosene-Auto-Motor-Heater-Very-Good_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9ceb8a0cQQitemZ3 20460261900QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcc essories

http://www.endtimesreport.com/pictures/auto_motor_heater.jpg

http://www.endtimesreport.com/Auto_Motor_Heater_Instructions.html
;)

badvibes
12-10-2009, 11:14 AM
yorker-

Nice! The answer to the problem and maybe others too. I was reading the instructions and noticed the parts about the "asbestos sheet" and "asbestos strips" stapled into a circular wick. Enough asbestos exposure and I'll be able to quit worrying which is going to last longer, me or my Rover.

Jeff

scott
12-10-2009, 11:31 AM
a bud told me when he was living in chicago he had to light his coleman two burner stove and slide it under his jeep for a couple hours on more than one occasion to thaw it to the point it would start. i grew up just south of cleveland and don't miss hav'n winter forced on me. here if i want it i drive about an hour and when i'm done with it i drive home

yorker
12-10-2009, 12:03 PM
ha! just don't inhale the asbestos.

I remember stories from a WWII veteran who was sent to Russia to build/service US Lend Lease trucks- he had all sorts of interesting tales but one of them was about lighting fires under engines to jeep them warm. also they'd drain the oil from the engines at night and take them inside and put the pails on stoves to keep it warm.

fun fun fun...

KingSlug
12-10-2009, 12:34 PM
In Norway they had defenders with swingfire water jacket mounts on the bumpers. The swingfire heaters could be moved from rover to rover to heat the coolant and move on.

After you heated the engine you could heat the cab up.

Jared

LaneRover
12-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Once started my Rover with a big cast iron pan with charcoal in it. Let the flames die down and then slide it underneath the engine, let it sit for about 10 minutes and it started right up.

In WWII I think that the Soviets would also pour gas down the crankcase of fighters to thin out the oil. As the engine warmed the gas evaporated. They also wouldn't grease their guns in the winter.

oldredbugeye
12-12-2009, 07:38 AM
we always clean our terminals...and our host offers a radiator muff..if you dont want that you can simply make 1 from cardboard..with a little yankee engineering you might even be able to make a V cut at the top to allow air in..you know so you dont over heat..dont know if this was mentioned by anyone else..and if so sorry..

Bill
Porter maine

Bostonian1976
12-12-2009, 08:31 AM
somehow my 2.25 doesn't have these issues even in extreme cold. the battery, on the other hand, usually needs some help...