PDA

View Full Version : Spring, Sprang, Sprung

jcasteel
11-25-2009, 11:26 PM
I might have a little Christmas money to spend this year. One thing high on the list is to address my leaf spring situation. I drive a pickup cab IIa with the top removed in the summer so I am pretty light weight. Seldom carry anything but if I do it is a load of concrete or gardening materials (maybe twice a year). Current plan is to stay with OEM style springs but add the slippery plastic (UHMW ?) between leaves.

Is there a place to buy Genuine springs? How are RN's Proline? I've spent the last few hours searching through this forum looking at threads with the word "spring" in them. Hasn't really helped much. Not even sure that I have a question. I suppose I just need to decide if this is the most important purchase on the list.

Has anybody compared new springs with new bushings to Parabolic springs with new bushing?

Anybody have a set of Genuine old, low mileage, OEM springs from when they converted to Parabolics?

Consider the can of worms open.

martindktm
11-26-2009, 09:06 AM
I will have a set of oem spring avilable probably next spring. I did Order Britpart parabolics springs and shocks for my 88. Riding with the stock one is almost like if the axles where welded to the frame. Very stiff. Can't wait to install my new chassis and sprigs to compare the ride.

yorker
11-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Has anybody compared new springs with new bushings to Parabolic springs with new bushing?

Anybody have a set of Genuine old, low mileage, OEM springs from when they converted to Parabolics?

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/leafSprings.htm

New springs with lube or sheeting between the leaves work very well, you could easily refurbish a good set of used springs and get many years of use out of them, clean and repaint the leaves and put UHMW sheeting between them.

Any decent spring place (http://www.alcanspring.com/) should be able to re-arch sagged springs for you, or even make new springs for you.

gudjeon
11-26-2009, 05:05 PM
I refurbished a decent set of used OEM springs. That was about 5 years ago and I would do it again if faced with the choice. Keep them oiled well and they stay supple for a leaf pack.:thumb-up:

redmondrover
12-02-2009, 11:25 PM
We have a set of Pickup springs from our 109 that we are replacing with station wagon springs. They are currently located in Seattle, WA. If you are interested, send me a PM.

jcasteel
12-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Been studying for finals so I haven't been on the board. I'll post pictures of my springs (not that that will do any good) I may take one or both of you up on the springs. Gotta go to bed at the moment 1:54am and I need to be at work by 7 am.

Pics soon. I'm pretty sure that at least my rear springs are completely wrong for an 88 inch pick up. -John

yorker
12-04-2009, 05:50 AM
With this data you should be able to get springs made by any good spring place.