PDA

View Full Version : axle casing and electrical question

tmckeon88
11-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi all-

I was wondering if anyone has or knows of a good rear axle casing for a Series IIA with the Rover differential. Mine is getting pitted with rust holes and I haven't seen new ones for sale anywhere. It's seeping a bit of oil- I suppose I can have someone patch it but I'd love to get one in better condition.

Second question on my IIA 88- my gas gauge and water temp gauge abruptly stopped working at the same time, which I find strange. I haven't taken the instrument panel off yet but I'm wondering if that might be wires rubbed together such that the insulation is worn off and they are grounding. The gas gauge will occasionally work for a few moments then drop back down. No fuses are blown and these gauges have always worked for many years. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks,
Tom

SafeAirOne
11-27-2009, 05:27 PM
The only thing the 2 gauges have in common is one (of two) fuse, a green wire from the fuse to the voltage stabilizer, and the voltage stabilizer. The circuits branch off to the gauges and to the senders, then to ground after that.

jac04
11-27-2009, 06:01 PM
For the axle case, try or hosts or George at Rovers Down South - a while back the had 2 very nice used IIA axle cases.

kevin-ct
11-27-2009, 07:05 PM
I have a nice one, for the right price I may let it go.

PM me

dunerunner
11-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Both gauges quit? Common Ground! Check the groounding point for both gauges.

tmckeon88
11-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks- I'll check for grounding.

Tom

SafeAirOne
11-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Both gauges quit? Common Ground! Check the groounding point for both gauges.

Common Ground? For a positive earth rover, perhaps. For a negative earth rover, they are separate. Tom, is yours a + or - Earth?

NEGATIVE EARTH CIRCUIT:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2669/4140227251_0583aabaa1_b.jpg