PDA

View Full Version : top speed of 35ish and 65 psi compression

onecross
11-28-2009, 04:41 PM
I took my 1960 series II 109 SW out for its first drive about 3 weeks ago and i am unsure why it will not exceed 35 to 44ish mph... when i shift in to 4th it does not hold or accelerate its speed but starts to loose it. I just checked the compression using a gauge autozone rented to me is reading around 65 pounds across the 4 cylinders and i know it should be up over 100... any help on diagnosing the problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks
-Mat

Nium
11-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Just to clarify, you had a reading of 65 psi for each cylinder?

Have you done anything lately. Valve adjustment?

onecross
11-28-2009, 07:01 PM
i rented a gauge from O'reillys its reading 120 to 125 in each cylinder. the other gauge must have been broken.

Walker- i adjusted the valves according to the specs in the green bible and found out that they were a little tight but this did not improve the problem

Nium
11-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Mat,
Glad to see you got the clutch sorted out and finally were able to drive the Landy! I apologize about the clutch I had some bad info about what the IIA 9.5" pressure plate was suppose to look like. Live and learn.

Readings of 120-125psi are much better for a newly rebuilt engine then 65psi. Any other symptoms? Bucking, stalling, whining?

onecross
11-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Mat,
Glad to see you got the clutch sorted out and finally were able to drive the Landy! I apologize about the clutch I had some bad info about what the IIA 9.5" pressure plate was suppose to look like. Live and learn.

Readings of 120-125psi are much better for a newly rebuilt engine then 65psi. Any other symptoms? Bucking, stalling, whining?

no problem on the clutch we all learned something from that.

it runs great right now it just doent seam to have have the power to accelerate in 4th gear. it was back fireing a little but i think that has been worked out with adjusting the timing

Nium
11-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Check the adjustment on the brakes maybe they're dragging some causing the Landy to have to work against them.

onecross
11-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Check the adjustment on the brakes maybe they're dragging some causing the Landy to have to work against them.

the Brakes are fine i checked them by jacking up the truck and spinning them. Any other ideas?

Thanks

scott
11-29-2009, 12:42 PM
my issue with not getting up to speed was timing, adjustment and the advance not working properly.

onecross
11-29-2009, 01:12 PM
my issue with not getting up to speed was timing, adjustment and the advance not working properly.

We changed the Rover to a pertronix ignition system after first starting the motor with the standerd points set up. how do you check to see if the pertronix distributor is working correctly?

scott
11-29-2009, 03:43 PM
wow, that's wierd. i started of w/ a petronix after my rebuild. finally got it to time and run correctly by going back to points.

Terrys
11-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Are you getting full throttle travel from the peal? Check to see that the pedal pich bolt is tight and that puting the pedal to the floor opens the throttle plate all the way. Check your timing to be certain you're at about 6 degrees BTSC. Are the mechanical advance weights free> Commonly frozen. It your vacuum advance working? See if the breakerplate is moving when you suck on the hose, or use a handi-vac pump.