PDA

View Full Version : Injector pump timing

GeoffWillis
11-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Ok folks, more on the continuing saga of the 2.5 n/a diesel injection pump removal. I've got the front timing cover removed, and as part of the process I've lined up marks on the injection pump gear, crankshaft gear, and camshaft (?) gears. According to the manual, there is also a mark on the flywheel (Remove the inspection plate and look for alignment tab), and a place to insert a timing tool that precisely aligns the flywheel (Crankshaft), and the injection pump. Picture "TimingCoverRemoved" shows the alignment of the timing gears.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31277813@N06/4144710841/

The next picture "ImpossibleBolt" shows the access point for the tool that engages with the flywheel.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31277813@N06/4144710813/
Unfortunately, I find removing this bolt to screw in the alignment tool impossible. I've tried universal joints, extensions, box end, open end wrenches to no avail. The only options I see are:
1) Yank the engine to gain access to the port.
2) Remove the transmission tunnel an access the port from inside.

Does anyone know how important it is to drop this alignment tool in the flywheel? Or is just getting the timing gears/marks lined up enough? I bought the two tools (One for the flywheel, the other for the injection pump iteself) that will ensure proper timing of the pump/engine, just gaining access to the flywheel is tough as it's obscured by the firewall. I've taken SO long to get this far and I'd like to wrap it up (Don't really want to put the engine), but without pulling the transmission tunnel I don't see how else to get in there. Appreciate any input.
Also, I've got a new timing belt, but did not buy a new tensioner or water pump. Should those be replaced as a matter of fact? The vehicle is "new" to me, so I don't know the history.
Thanks,
Geoff

junkyddog11
11-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Having TDC is pretty important. Not sure why your having such a hard time getting the cap of the timing (clutch cover) hole, but I'd keep at it.
I always install a new tensioner with a timing belt.
I install new water pumps if they look or feel as if needed when the old one is off, but I generally have them in the shelf. If in doubt, just get it while it's off. Cheap insurance as long as you aren't buying junk parts.

GeoffWillis
12-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Well, I got the booger out last night, or really my son did. He came by to help take out the transmission tunnel (Bribed him with steak dinner...) and I challenged him to get the bolt out and 5 min later there it was!!! I then inserted the "Special Tool" into the hole vacated by the bolt and SLOWLY turned the crankshaft nut until a solid "Thunk" was heard and felt. The "Drill bit" looking portion of the tool had dropped down into it's cavity on the flywheel and all timing marks are perfectly lined up. We celebrated with dinner and I should have the injection pump off this week end (Real job's kinda busy right now).
When I remove all the plumbing from the injection pump, I was just going to cover the fuel lines (Low pressure and high pressure side) with baggies/twist ties. Any problem with that? Ideally I'd have prefect fitting plastic caps, but I figure as long as I seal out the dirt/grime it should be ok. Looking forward to getting it back on the road, wouldn't you know the inspection expired Nov!
Geoff

junkyddog11
12-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Sometimes it just takes a fresh pair of hands! and a good bribe!

I use plastic / rubber caps from the hdwr store.....not sure what they are sold as but a little poking around found some nice fitting bits.