PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Pipe Seperation

navydevildoc
11-30-2009, 09:47 PM
OK everyone, need some advice.

Was driving the 88 to work today, and developed a very loud exhaust leak right before I drove in to the base. Got some interesting looks from the gate guards (well, more than usual). After looking under the truck, I found that the exhaust pipe leading from the engine compartment back towards the muffler had come lose where the two sections join together just aft of the doors.

I shoved it back together, but I could hear them coming apart while driving home, and sure enough it came loose about halfway there.

Now, it just so happens that I just laid down the cash for a new soft top and hoop set today from our hosts (it rained in San Diego this week!), so I don't have the dosh for a new exhaust setup right now.

The pipe and muffler all work great, it's just this joint that keeps coming apart.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the joint re-sealed and kept that way for a few months until I can get a new exuast setup?

scott
11-30-2009, 10:03 PM
weld it

brucejohn
11-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Welding it is a great idea, though being a rover I would have thought riveting would be an option? ;)

navydevildoc
11-30-2009, 11:37 PM
weld it

Yeah, that's my first choice. But the roommate has the MIG in colorado, and I don't know thing one about TIG or arc. I do have a Navy HT "Superwelder" buddy who does though. He owes me, so maybe it's time to get him over to weld it up!

greenmeanie
12-01-2009, 12:00 AM
If it is a stock exhaust there should be a ball and knuckle with two loose three bolt flanges to clamp it together. Assuming you have a stock exhaust three 5/16 X 1 1/2 bolts and asociated nuts are all you need.

If it is an aftermarket set up then just weld it.

Terrys
12-01-2009, 05:05 AM
I'm guessing it's not a stock system, as the flanges are pretty hard to miss. If it's a slip fit, get the right sized clamp, X2, put them at 90 degrees, about an inch apart. Ordinarily, on is sufficient, but alot of time the pipe fit is loose enough that crushing one point isn't enough to hold it.
Welding it sounds good, except, you'll never get it out in one piece, and knowing Land Rovers, dropping the front pipe is a probable event more than one or twice in it's (the pipe, not the Landy) lifetime.
Another common pipe clamping technique is to use two clamps, and, oriented in the same plance, use a piece of hardware store perforated stell strap between the two. One is the clamp (supposedly) holding the two together, the other on the small pipe (inner).

SafeAirOne
12-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Your local NAPA/PepBoys/AutoZone/AdvanceAuto/CarQuest has a gazillion exhaust unions in a variety of sizes/combo of sizes including flexible sections. Cut out the broken bit and clamp in a patch section. That'll get you by for a few months.

EDIT: Also, make sure you are not the victim of a broken exhaust hangar. Sometimes without proper support, exhaust components can come apart under their own weight when you go over bumps.

bmohan55
12-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Empty pint can of Guinness cut length-wise & 2 large ring clamps.:D

Yes, I have done this in my younger days.

scott
12-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Yeah, that's my first choice. But the roommate has the MIG in colorado, and I don't know thing one about TIG or arc. I do have a Navy HT "Superwelder" buddy who does though. He owes me, so maybe it's time to get him over to weld it up!

doc,

use the HT. dang being at a shipyard is what i imagine heaven to be like, ya got HTs all around, mwr's auto hobby shop and no tax package stores.

Nov 15 just past, did ya get the EP?

graniterover
12-01-2009, 12:16 PM
The ball part of the exhaust can develop cracks that you don't see unless you take it apart. I'd cut the two ends off and splice in a piece if there are cracks in that ball end. Shouldn't loosen up though I would think if the three bolts are tightened...

daveb
12-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I like Guinness too but everyone knows Sapporo cans are better since they are nice stainless steel. :)

Empty pint can of Guinness cut length-wise & 2 large ring clamps.:D

Yes, I have done this in my younger days.

navydevildoc
12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
doc,

use the HT. dang being at a shipyard is what i imagine heaven to be like, ya got HTs all around, mwr's auto hobby shop and no tax package stores.

Nov 15 just past, did ya get the EP?

Yeah, he's coming over today to look at it.

You better believe I got the EP.

navydevildoc
12-01-2009, 05:26 PM
EDIT: Also, make sure you are not the victim of a broken exhaust hangar. Sometimes without proper support, exhaust components can come apart under their own weight when you go over bumps.

Oooh. I didn't even think of this, and now that you mentioned it both times when it broke apart was going over fairly significant bumps.

Time to break out the bible and see what should be there vs. what really is.

navydevildoc
12-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Well, all the hangers are there, although I noticed one of my limit straps snapped in the rear. Ugh, one thing after another...

But I got the exhaust MIGed today, so now it's nice and solid.

cscutt
12-24-2009, 01:32 AM
go to the auto hobby shop on post, they will help you out and it will not be "southern engineered''. plus you can use the lift so you will be able to work on it in comfort and style...and not get wet or cold.:thumb-up:

navydevildoc
12-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Yeah, have used the hobby shop in the past... but now I tend to have better stuff in my own garage.

The lift however... it would be nice.