X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SkinlessFrank
    Low Range
    • Jun 2007

Turbo for 2.25L N/A diesel?

What's the difference between a 2.25 turbo diesel and the non-turbo 5 bearing?

I have access to a SIII 5 bearing setup, and only want to use it if I can get a turbo on it. I assume that I could just throw on a different exhaust manifold, turbo, and add some plumbing to the intake manifold...right?

If so, does RNorth stock the parts needed - I didn't see it in my searches...

- S
    Sean
    1972 Series III
    1984 Defender 90 [2.5 TD]
    1993 Range Rover
  • graniterover
    1st Gear
    • Oct 2006

I don't believe there ever was a 2.25 turbo diesel.

In addition, some 2.5 td had a reputation for either head or block cracks, can't recall.

\
    Originally posted by SkinlessFrank
    What's the difference between a 2.25 turbo diesel and the non-turbo 5 bearing?

I have access to a SIII 5 bearing setup, and only want to use it if I can get a turbo on it. I assume that I could just throw on a different exhaust manifold, turbo, and add some plumbing to the intake manifold...right?

If so, does RNorth stock the parts needed - I didn't see it in my searches...

- S

Comment

• yorker
      Overdrive
      • Nov 2006

There was no 2.25 turbo diesel- there was the 2.25 diesel (10j) which came in 3 and 5 main bearing guise, then there was the 2.5l diesel a non turbo(12j-15j) and lastly the 2.5l 19j which WAS turbo but had a number of changes though it was problematic.
      1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• yorker
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by graniterover
        I don't believe there ever was a 2.25 turbo diesel.

In addition, some 2.5 td had a reputation for either head or block cracks, can't recall.

\

here you go:

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• SkinlessFrank
          Low Range
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by yorker
          Ok - thanks...I must have mis-read something and remembered it incorrectly. Sounds like a no-go for turbo with the 2.25L NA.

Thanks!
          - S
          Sean
          1972 Series III
          1984 Defender 90 [2.5 TD]
          1993 Range Rover

Comment

• yorker
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

In my opinion it wouldn't be worth getting involved with. It HAS been done before but I've never heard of any good, long term results. Better off to look into the later Rover diesels or Mercedes swap that Jim did.

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

Working...