PDA

View Full Version : Series III clutch questions

Winooski
12-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Hello,

After having the brakes on my 73 109" LHD series III looked at by a reputable service center, they recommended the clutch be replaced. While they were test driving the truck they thought the clutch was slow to engage in 3rd gear. It seems to engage well enough when driving on level ground, but I think I can understand what they were talking about when going uphill. After changing into 3rd going uphill, the engine will rev without any increase in speed (not that I expect much in that regard with the 2.25L petrol).

They also commented on how the rear seal may need to be replaced as well since there was oil leaking onto the clutch housing. There is a leak, but I have seen maybe one or two drops on the ground under the truck, nothing dramatic. Other posts here on the forum have stated there will be a shuddering feeling if there has been any seepage of oil into the clutch from a leaky rear main seal. I have yet to experience any severe shuddering (how dramatic would it be?) when starting from a stop, but I also don't want to get too far down a path of destruction where the cost of repair becomes absurd.

I throw myself at the mercy of the Forum for advice. I realize this is a broad request, but I am looking for some guidance before I start tearing things apart to find it was only normal Series behavior.

Thanks.

scott
12-01-2009, 02:54 PM
i first notice my clutch "slipping" after a 2nd to 3rd shift on a steep climb. after letting off the peddle i felt the engine rev'ing up w/o an increase in speed. i had gone a few more miles and done a few more shifts when it stopped working all together. there was that nasty smell of burnt clutch pad too.

SafeAirOne
12-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Well, if your clutch is slipping, you ought to replace it. It will eventually not work and may eventually damage the flywheel. While you're in there, you might as well address the main seal leakage.

Having said that, my clutch is fine, but I'm the one parked over the pond of oil.