• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR88II-1962
    Low Range
    • Feb 2007

Battery Troubles

Hi,
    I just starting having some problems with my 62 88IIA. It won't start on its own, but I can jump start it. It doesn't seem to charge while running, but my meters shows me it's charging (16volts). If I pull the positive battery cable while its running, it dies. I put a new battery in it (showing 12+ volts), but just over 4 volts after I install the battery. Any ideas?
    thanks, Pete
  • scott
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

is that meter on the dash? is it 40+ year old? don't trust it. generator or altenator? i'm not sure about generator but i know pulling the pos cable and engine dies means bad alt
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• LR88II-1962
      Low Range
      • Feb 2007

Thanks Scott,
      I am using a hand-held meter, not relying on the dash one. It is a Lucas alternator - 12 VOLT/34AMP A1611. It was converted to negative ground a while back. I guess it is time for a new one....thanks again.
      Pete

Comment

• JimCT
        5th Gear
        • Nov 2006

killing your alt.

never disconnect the battery while the alternator is charging, you probably blew the diodes doing that. It doesn't see any voltage and goes full bore trying to make up for the lack of battery. You can get away with a generator, but not the alternator.
        1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
        1963 Unimog Radio box
        1995 LWB RR

Comment

Working...