PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof

spenceg
12-04-2009, 10:43 AM
My sunroof in my 2000 discovery is stuck closed and is leaking any ideas?

Paul Grant
12-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Perhaps the drains are clogged. There are two drains, one on the two front corners of each of the sunroofs. They have plastic hoses that carry water out of the sunroof frame. In the front they run down the a pillar and in the rear they drain out the rear wheel well. A shot of compressed air is usually enough to unclog the hoses.

Paul Grant
12-06-2009, 10:43 AM
I forgot to address the roof not moving. If you hear the sunroof motor trying to move the glass then it's most likely something has gummed up the rails.

HeadlinerExpress
02-05-2010, 07:24 AM
My sunroof in my 2000 discovery is stuck closed and is leaking any ideas?

Question: is it the Front or Back Sunroof that is not working?

Bill

spenceg
03-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Ok ill try blowing the drains out. I hear the motor working but how would i get it open to fix the track?

spenceg
03-21-2010, 02:48 PM
its the rear sunroof

Hammer38
03-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Ok ill try blowing the drains out. I hear the motor working but how would i get it open to fix the track?

You probably need rails & maybe a motor. Lower the headliner & you can take the torx bolts out that hole the assembly to the frame & remove the unit. You need to remove the motor first. It's three torx bolts. Fairly easy to figure out once your there.

spacemutt
03-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Most Disco II sunroof seals leak. You can buy new seal from Land Rover or on ebay. Try running a bit of vaseline around the rubber too.

As for not working, as mentioned above, new tracks.

Mjollnir
03-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Don't listen to Spacemutt's Vaseline idea. Vaseline, being petroleum jelly for personal and not automotive useage, will deteriorate the rubber and then you will need another seal. I'm sure there is a Land Rover approved rubber seal conditioner at Rovers North that could alleviate the issue.

spacemutt
03-26-2010, 07:45 AM
That's what I was told by a Land Rover dealer!

spacemutt
03-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Maybe silicone grease instead then.

Mjollnir
03-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Spacemutt- cool name. If the dealer told you to use Vaseline, I wouldn't go back there for an oil change (no pun intended). If I had to choose, I would pick the silicone instead. That stuff is basically indestructible, but I would still have to research its effect on rubber. All I know is that any petroleum based product kills rubber and dries it out. Makes no sense because it is a jelly type substance, but the world doesn't make sense either. Good luck to you across the pond, fellow enthusiast.