PDA

View Full Version : Clutch stuck disengaged

BDR
12-05-2009, 01:49 PM
18 months ago I drove my Series III into the garage for a number of maintenance items, which ultimately ended up being an entire front-end rebuild. When I finished and fired up, I went to press in the clutch and ... nothing there. It's already depressed! And it's not just the pedal. The clutch itself is disengaged from the flywheel.

I'm puzzled. I've had instances of the clutch being stuck engaged in the past, and a big bang when it cuts loose and disengages. But I don't quite understand this situation, or quite how to go about attacking it. The clutch is stuck in the disengaged position.

At first I thought that the slave cylinder had hyper-extended and then the piston had become jammed rather than retracting. I've seen this before (elsewhere). But that isn't the case. Near as I can tell, up then behind the exhaust pipe, the clutch slave cylinder is A-O-K. I guess i'm trolling around, trying to reason how the clutch could possible be stck in this position, and what to do about it short of pulling the engine out. Obviously I'd rather not go there unless I must.

Any ideas, Rover peeps?

Thanks,
Don

Sputnicker
12-05-2009, 05:32 PM
That's a strange one. Oftentimes, the flex hose breaks down internally and starts working like a check valve, maintaining pressure because the fluid can't flow back to the master cylinder. The piston in the master or slave cylinder could also be stuck in the bore. The quick check for this would be to open the bleed screw on the slave cylinder and see if the clutch engages. What is unusual is that you would normally notice that something is amiss when it happens, not 18 months later. And it would be even more unusual to maintain the hydraulic pressure for 18 months. If it's not in the hydraulics, then it has to be in the mechanical linkage (maybe the release bearing is seized on the collar. See if you can disconnect the slave from the throw-out fork. Be careful as there will be a lot of spring pressure between the two parts.

Good luck - I hope it's hydraulic.

swingkeel
12-06-2009, 09:18 AM
So what you are saying is, that with the engine running and no foot on the clutch pedal you can shift through all the gears. Is that true?

BDR
12-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Swingkeel

Yes, strange as that seems, it is true. It's odd enough that upon receiving your request for confirmation, I went out, started it up, and ran through all the gears.

And let's recall, when I drove it into the garage 18 months ago and shut it down, the clutch was engaged!

Don

NickDawson
12-07-2009, 05:33 PM
silly question, especially considering the state of the peddle, but have you confirmed that the transfer case or overdrive (if equipped) is not in neutral?
Its happened to me where my OD just barely slips out - very similar symptoms.

scott
12-08-2009, 08:57 AM
silly question, especially considering the state of the peddle, but have you confirmed that the transfer case or overdrive (if equipped) is not in neutral?
Its happened to me where my OD just barely slips out - very similar symptoms.

nick who you calling silly? i once towed my 88 home and replaced the clutch slave cylinder just to find out that the o/d was between engaged and disengaged

bmohan55
12-08-2009, 02:45 PM
nick who you calling silly? i once towed my 88 home and replaced the clutch slave cylinder just to find out that the o/d was between engaged and disengaged

LOL !!!
that is so good to hear as sometimes I think I am the only one doing dumbbell things to their Rover.

My latest, I rebuilt my swivel balls, replacing all bearings, seals and gaskets...quite proud of myself until I filled up the ball and watch the oil pour out because I forgot to put on the Swivel ball gasket...kind the point of the whole rebuild, eh?

Maybe we should start a thread of "dumbbell" non-repairs we own up to.

scott
12-08-2009, 03:09 PM
LOL !!!
that is so good to hear as sometimes I think I am the only one doing dumbbell things to their Rover.

My latest, I rebuilt my swivel balls, replacing all bearings, seals and gaskets...quite proud of myself until I filled up the ball and watch the oil pour out because I forgot to put on the Swivel ball gasket...kind the point of the whole rebuild, eh?

Maybe we should start a thread of "dumbbell" non-repairs we own up to.

i like to call 'em my "potato head moves" my latest, 4 wheel brake job, put the drum back on w/drum screws installed forgetting to put on the rear shoe anchor thing. curse my stupidity and did it two more times. finally remembered when reassembling the last wheel.

swingkeel
12-09-2009, 08:26 PM
If that is the case its hard for me to believe that its the clutch thats disengaged. Could the springs in the clutch possibly get to the point where they weren't at least causing some contact between the clutch and pressure plates? That is, without some mechanical force to overcome them such as depressing the clutch pedal? I sure would be looking for some other disconnect in the drive line. I am interested to hear what you figure out.

And yes of course we all have those episodes of doing something dumb to our Rovers. One I remember a long time ago was leaving out the safety wiring on the tapered hex screws that locate the sleeve that the roller in the valve train moved in. This was after a lengthy rebuild - really stupid! Result was a dropped sleeve and roller and another teardown. I am sure there are plenty more but that one still sticks in my head after 32 years!

Good luck and keep posting the details.

All the best, Michael