PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

cachinfool
12-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I've looked at the Green Bible and tons of dashboard pics but am still at a loss. I'm pretty sure the bottom is supposed to be a heater control but it goes to nothing it's the top "what is it" that really has be stumped.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/da200528-b446-479d-ab53-d0fc1936ff21.jpg

greenmeanie
12-05-2009, 01:54 PM
There used to be an ashtray there. Itwas made of soem bakelite or elephant poo type of plastic.

yorker
12-05-2009, 04:38 PM
yeah the top is the mount for the baklite ashtray it would slide into that mount and was easily removable so you could empty it.

cachinfool
12-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks, I would never have thought of that. Since I don't have an amp meter that looks like a good spot to install a voltmeter.

greasyhandsagain
12-05-2009, 06:26 PM
yeah the top is the mount for the baklite ashtray it would slide into that mount and was easily removable so you could empty it.

Why not take up smoking cigarettes? Then you could remount the ash tray and enjoy both of them properly!

LaneRover
12-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Why not take up smoking cigarettes? Then you could remount the ash tray and enjoy both of them properly!

Just don't open the front vent with a lit cig sitting in the tray!

There was a story about the Rover team putting in the ashtray originally up alongside the vent controls. None of them smoked so it seemed fine to them. Later they took one for a drive and actually had a smoker along with them. He had his cigarette in the ashtray when someone opened the vent. The lit cigarette went flying into the back of the rover. Not sure what they had back there but I guess that it was interested to drive,look for and put out the cigarette!

Down on the dash it probably isn't a problem!

Brent

greenmeanie
12-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I forgot to say that the ottom thing should be the heater control. If it pushes/pulls by about an inch then its the heater. If it rotates, however, then it is the wiper control. That hex looks like the one that takes the special wiper knob.

daveb
12-07-2009, 02:06 PM
LOL

I had the old style ashtray in my 109...the one between the vents not the one lower down on the dash like the one in the photos above. The best feature was when you were heading down the road and the air moving through the vents would get the cherry going on a cig you'd thought extinguished. Then the resulting brief panic at the sight of smoke wafting up from the dashboard area. Good times!

(glad I quit...over 5 years now)

Just don't open the front vent with a lit cig sitting in the tray!

There was a story about the Rover team putting in the ashtray originally up alongside the vent controls.
Brent