PDA

View Full Version : JRD51OX: Windshield Install

thixon
12-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Jeremy,

I did'nt get around to this until last night. I spent most of the weekend installing n range hood in our kitchen, and it took much longer to route all the plumbing than I thought. Sorry.

First things first. Below is a photo of what you'll need to set the windshield. You can buy it at NAPA.

You can get a tube of goop as well, but this is much easier to deal with.

Next, you need to remove the old windshield from the frame. Unfortunately, mine was already removed (had the frame galvanized, thanks greenmeanie) so I can't show photos of how to get it out. It's easy, so don't sweat it. Lay the entire windshield frame on a work table, face down. Start by removing the tiny screws that hold the aluminum windshield clamps down (clamps run the perimeter of the inside of the windshield). Carefully pull up the aluminum clamps. You should now be able to see the edges of the windhsield. Take a razor knife, and carefully cut into the old goop, around the perimeter of the old windshield (straight down). You should now be able to start working the old windshield up and out. If you need to cut into the old goop from the front side do so. Luckily, you don't have to worry about breaking the glass!

Once its out, you'll have to clean all the old goop out of the frame's channel. Dig it out using a putty knife/chisel, whatever. The residual can be cleaned off with lacquer thinner or acetone.

Now for the new goop. Unroll your window weld, and begin laying the bead in place. You don't have to cut four pieces for each run, just circle the perimeter with one piece, and connect the edges.

Next, begin squishing it into place. Use a piece of the wax paper is was rolled onto, as it will stick to your fingers if you don't. cover the bottom of the channel, and get it to about 3/16" thickness or so (estimate, don't sit there with a ruler!).

Next, set the windshield in place. Make sure its centered. With gentle pressure, seat the new glass into the window weld. Test fit you're aluminum clamps. If you need to squish the seal further, use gentle pressure around the edges of the glass to seat it further. You can use a heat gun to soften the window weld. Once you're lined up properly with the screw holes in the frame, begin replacing the aluminum clamps. Be careful here. Don't force anything, and make sure you're fit is right. If you try and force the clamps, you could break your new glass.

Once the clamps are in place, flip the frame over and inspect the front side. You should have some goop that has squeezed out between the frame and the new windshield. You may also have some spots where it hasn't squeezed out enough. No big deal. You will have extra window weld. If you have voids, use the extra to fill. Take a piece and stretch it out to thin it. Then just use a plastic ply tool/bondo spreader/your fingers to press it into the void.

Finally, take your razor knife, and cut around the front perimeter, and peel away the excess.

Go have a beer, you're done.

Note, you can only attache three photos. I have emailed you several more, of each step.

Good luck, hope this helps.