PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start??

JChinch
12-08-2009, 04:25 PM
So, this is an extremely open ended question.. I have this project that I am without a doubt overly excited and confident about. Take a look at the link, browse the pics, http://s525.photobucket.com/albums/cc338/JChinch7/LR%20109/?start=all and guys be honest about what you think with it. Mind you, everything on it is how I got it... so when you see hoses coming up through the firewall don't rip me apart, it was the last owners poor man's heater... he had a radiator in there. Mind you, I guess I can't blame the guy, its a neat idea.

So what I'm wondering is this, the clutch is stuck engaged... it can't hurt to rebuild the slave and master cylinders with our Host RN rebuild kits can it? possibly the cheapest way to find out what else I need to do for the clutch?

And, as for trying to start it, after capping off all stray wires so I don't perish in a fun fire, where would you guys start other than the basics of Marvel oil in the cylinders, clean ground cables and air filter, degunk carb.

I guess what I'm asking is this... Is it worth it to hammer out a couple days work on something that's been sitting for 4 years? Mind you I picked this find up for 600 bucks, so I have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

All honest opinions welcomehttp://www.roversnorth.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif

Thanks

graniterover
12-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Wrong data plate. Frame is likely shot. Wiring looks like a fire getting ready to start.

The clutch is more likely stuck - search and you'll find a few different hacks to unstick it - mostly you'll need it running to do that. It might not be the hydraulics.

Overdrive and the roof rack = 600 was a great price. Was it in NH and I didn't see it first? ;-)

Get it going and see how addicted you are. You can sell the overdrive and rack for more than you paid for it so you have absolutley nothing to lose.

Seems you have a mix of Italian and English crap already - you should be used to what you're about to get into.

Have fun.

Mark

siii8873
12-08-2009, 05:58 PM
The dash is a series III, but plate say series IIa.

looks like a doable project and mostly complete but could be quite expensive. Particularly if your obsessive about things. From my experience everything takes twice as long and cost twice as much as you think.
As noted you certainly would recoup your 600 if you sold a few parts.

Good luck and keep every one updated and don't be afraid to ask questions.

greasyhandsagain
12-08-2009, 06:18 PM
All I could think when I looked at those pictures is........"I hope that guys got a lot of money and free time"

Other than that, getting it done would create a very desirable vehicle in todays market. Hopefully if you do rebuild it you will avoid the use of non standard parts and keep it original.

Very few people buy 'other peoples dreams' but a stock restored vehicle always has fans.

good luck to you, remember the world ends in 2012 so you better get cracking!!

ignotus
12-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Well like others said you could part some stuff out and recoup your $600....

BUT.....

If you want to get it on the road depends on how much time and money you want to spend on it. So first I would suggest you make friends with any other Rover owners in your neck of the country. They can help immensely.
The clutch is probably frozen to the flywheel and sometimes rocking the vehicle in gear can free it or try other methods on this and other forums.
Remove any wires that do not go anywhere. Buy a workshop manual.
You can probably get it running for under a grand but like a previous person answered the frame is bad in the rear.
You want to take pride in the Rover? A frame up restoration will let you sort it out to be the vehicle YOU want it to be. Cost can go up to $20k depending on where you source parts and what you need to do.

Good luck and keep us informed!
Ignotus

siiirhd88
12-08-2009, 06:40 PM
We visit Morehead City often and have a home in the old part of town. We would be glad to look at the truck or lend a hand if needed. A friend in town has a nice SIII 88, and there is a non runner SIIA sitting in Beaufort. I bought my '80 SIII 109 in Havelock a few years ago.

PM your contact info if you would like to get together when we are in town.

Bob
'96 Disco SE7
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

ktom300
12-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Mine hadn't run in 8 years when I put it on the trailer. It's important to know what it was doing when it was last parked. Mine was driven to it's resting spot so I tried to get it running immediately.
First step was battery power, not so easy since mine is 24V. Next step was an oil change and coolant change. Then we turned it over to make sure it was getting fuel, which it wasn't. Next we tried gravity feed to the carb and it magically fired right up. All in all it took about 3 hours with fluid changes. Would've been less if it had been a 12V system (only need one battery) and the gasket in the tank change-over tap had clogged the lines.
I understand your enthusiasm but from the pics, this one looks like a lot of time and $. Starting with a new chassis. I've also learned that once you take something apart, you find something else that also needs to be repaired. If you do a chassis swap you will find lots to replace.
I would go ahead and try to get it running. At least then you'll lknow if you have a running engine, transfer case, trani or not.
From there you can decide if you want to keep and restore or sell and recoup expenses.
I got really luck because I wasn't a Series enthusiast, I stumbled across a free lightweight, and it ran/drove after a days work. Brakes were a different story but that was pretty much it.

SafeAirOne
12-08-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm afraid that heap isn't worth anything. Looks like you overpaid by $600. I'd be willing to help you out, of course...I'd be willing to take it off your hands for the $600 you paid--That way, you won't have lost any money and can walk away with your dignity intact still...;)

Seriously, though--Unless you need the cash, I wouldn't part it out--After all, you've got a Land Rover 109 virtually for free. Even if you put a new galvanized chassis on it and did some other things to get it in very good condition, you'd very likely be in much better shape (financialy) than if you bought a similar rover in very good condition.

I'm gonna GUESS (with special emphasis on the word guess) that this was converted to LHD. 3 reasons for this guess--1) Don't see SIII 109s around here, though this could have been manufactured for a LHD market, of course. 2) The previous owner's cobbled-up controls in the center of the dash tray point toward the right seat and 3) The turn signal wand is in on the RHD side of the steering column, like my RHD SIII 109. This wand is universal and works for both LHD and RHD SIII rovers, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: Make that 4 things--4) Your heater hole is in the left wing, the side that RHD rovers have it on. Might explain all the indoor plumbing if the PO didn't source a LHD heater blower and fan assembly.

EDIT EDIT: 5)...And it looks like a RHD dash assembly too.

gudjeon
12-08-2009, 10:01 PM
For the market in these parts, it looks like the starting point of a good project. If it is more or less all there, I would go for a rebuild. The ser1 I had was in a lot worse shape than that when I started. I've seen people want more money for less.

To even find a decent project vehicle is getting rare here. Not that I want another. One is enough for right now.:rolleyes:

kevkon
12-09-2009, 08:01 AM
I'm gonna GUESS (with special emphasis on the word guess) that this was converted to LHD.

That was my first thought too.It may also have been be IIa as the serial # indicates.

My advice, before you start ripping into it ; take a little time and research to determine just what you want this vehicle to be and how much you are willing to spend in both time and money to get it there. Many people fail to do this and end up with a project that never gets completed.
If you do decide that it's not worth the cost, please don't break it up for parts without first offering it as a complete truck.

JChinch
12-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Haha, Man I can't even tell you how getting so many replies just fuels the fire for this project. As one of you mentioned, you can see my array of vehicles, so I'm fairly used to the horrible treatment I get from these rolling headaches.

I'll make a few quick statements to move this along some. . I only bought this because it was a complete body w/ glass, it had the galv roof rack (although not full size) and it rolled onto a trailer instead of stacked in piles of parts. I'm totally aware of the frame work, IE it's going to the heap yard. I've been searching around for a 110 chassis from ANYTHING, so I find the Hybrid links on here fun to read, but no one gets on there anymore. It's going to be a full custom project, I'm not rich by anymeans, but I spent years a diesel mechanic/24V Technician doing complete overhauls and rebuilds of engines, trannys, transfers and diffs as well as front to backs on military vehicles. What I'll really be learning on this project is custom metal work to fit a frame or whatever comes into play. At this point in my life, I'm an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician by career. For those of you that know what that is... you'll understand I have more than an extensive backing in electronics and wiring. As for others that don't know. . . not to be rude, just Google it.

Away from me and to the truck... I know it's a Series III, and that the number plate doesn't match, so thats actually already off the truck, as is all the carpet, trash and whatever else that was just junk and worth tossing. I can't make out the chassis number, as the NH roads took its toll years ago and replaced numbers with rust. I was planning on doing the following when I got back home for the holidays:

Pulling useless wires that were ran through
Capping off wires that are integrated into the truck
Cleaning grounds and getting a new batt
Marvel Oil in the plug wells to sit for a bit on the cylinders
new plugs
cleaning and recleaning the carb
Slamming the truck into a tree to free the clutch (if i can get it to roll)
List goes on, those are first

Mind you, i don't expect to get it running, then register it and have myself a jolly time, but tinkering is fun and my Alfa's are getting annoying and at this point, My P38A doesn't need work (read doesn't need MUCH work). In all fairness to the guy that sold it to me, he was asking three times as much. Needless to say, he wanted it gone.

I noticed how some of the switches were awefully weird, but I couldn't imagine why anyone would go through the trouble, JUST to have left hand drive when RHD is cool too. Maybe I'll put it back, maybe not, maybe I'll donate my P38A to the cause and make something totally useless but fun. Not sure yet, but at this point, it would be neat (and make a neat story) if I could do some work and get it running.

Tim Smith
12-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I say, start by getting the motor running. Once it's running, try to pop the clutch loose like you were saying. All of this should be a weekend job unless something is wrong.

Once you have the thing running and moving, you will be able to assess the drive train. If it's mostly good then you just have to spring for the new frame and time on that bulkhead. Putting money into the truck on that frame is just going to be throwing money at a sinking ship.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. :thumb-up:

kevkon
12-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I guess I'd approach this project differently. I wouldn't even waste the time getting the motor started. What's the point? Thee frame is trash, the clutch is siezed, and looking at the condition of the vehicle, electrics and brakes are probably toast. Besides, if you are committed to restoring this truck you are sure to want to upgrade the motor anyway. I would spend the time dismantling the vehicle, inspecting parts, and storing the pieces worth keeping. On a series III there are a lot of little things that are difficult or super expensive to replace, especially at the dash. So start looking at what's available and what's not. Also it's a good time to start mitigating any of the damage on those parts which are to be saved and re-used.

graniterover
12-09-2009, 05:36 PM
I've been searching around for a 110 chassis from ANYTHING, so I find the Hybrid links on here fun to read, but no one gets on there anymore.

I have a NAS 110 frame in decent shape I'd sell. It's in NH though. PM me if you're interested.

greasyhandsagain
12-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Im going to make a prediction......

this vehicle will be up for sale in 2 weeks for $2500 and it will become SEP (somebody elses problem)

SafeAirOne
12-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Im going to make a prediction......

this vehicle will be up for sale in 2 weeks for $2500 and it will become SEP (somebody elses problem)

Never underestimate the drive and commitment of a Marine.

EDIT: Especially one whos garage is half-full of high-maintenance vehicles.

Tim Smith
12-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Never underestimate the drive and commitment of a Marine...
I second that vote. Even if for nothing more than I want to see our new friend give a nice old 109 a new life.

I mean, what better truck for carrying Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician gear? ;)

JChinch
12-09-2009, 09:50 PM
GraniteRover: PM Sent, absolutely interested.

Greasy: I must say, in two weeks this vehicle will still be sitting in the driveway, as it has for Ten months now. Undoubtedly it will not be for sale. Some things are just not worth getting rid of! :):) (but if you have a spare $2500 I think we could work something out! hahaha, kidding kidding... )

Tim Smith: Good call on the gear! The truck will not only shuttle me around, but my two Siberian Huskies and all the outdoor gear one could dare pack. . Although it's a bit tame down here in NC for my taste.

Anyone want to toss in ideas on how big the mouse wheel under the hood should be? I have a couple old Alfa engines laying around... something tells me that's a bad idea.. . .

Tim Smith
12-09-2009, 10:09 PM
What engines? This could be interesting. :D

greasyhandsagain
12-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Ten months in the driveway and not really worked on? You may really want to reconsider the vast amount of time and energy such a major project will entail and honestly judge if you are able to see all this through to completion. And now honestly that you are considering a bizarre engine conversion if you abandon the project halfway through.....no one is going to want it besides a junkyard or parts stripper. As others have said, the only logical way to approach this is to get it into an empty two car garage and take it totally apart. Some items go in the "good" pile, some in the "restorable" pile and some in the "junk" pile. Refinish everything good, repair everything restorable and purchase and replace everything that is junk. Over the spam of a few years.....the time will come when you can slowly begin to put it all back together on a rolling chassis with all the bits renewed. If you keep it bone stock and put it together from lots of parts from RN you will have a wonderful desirable land rover which will be a joy for years. Hack it up and put in an alfa engine.........$600 again

JChinch
12-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Greasy: As much as I'd love to dive into this with you. . . . Lets go ahead and realize that from March 09 to Oct 09 I was deployed to Sahl Sinjar Iraq. With that being said, I bought this project in the end of Feb 09. So being that I've only been home for a few months (and gone for 8 months), I dare say that I haven't gotten around to working on it yet. Then again, shame on me for allowing my family, full time active duty job and other daily projects to come first. This, however is not the medium on which you and I should discuss this. Does that sound fair? :thumb-up:

Tim: I have a running 3.0 (read Milano Verde thats a parts car), but as a good friend of mine pointed out the minute I made the joke a few nights ago, I'd be one if not many things. First, stupid, second the only man in history to put together the biggest nightmare of work/parts and functionality ever. So that went out the window quickly.

What I have in mind is possibly a diesel and just creating a heavy duty drivetrain/axles and such, as well as disc brakes and maybe a fancy tape deck inside.

brucejohn
12-10-2009, 07:14 AM
March 09 to Oct 09 I was deployed to Sahl Sinjar Iraq.

Thanks for your service, it is appreciated and admired. I pray you will not be asked to go into Afghanistan.

This is the friendliest and most helpful forum I have ever participated in. I am sure comments here come with the intent to help you really think through what you are imagining so as to help you lay out a plan for success. Tough questions and blunt assertions are often great catalyst for thought provoking creativity.

What I have in mind is possibly a diesel and just creating a heavy duty drivetrain/axles and such, as well as disc brakes and maybe a fancy tape deck inside.

Personally, I have a strong desire to drop a 200tdi and a five speed into mine. I think mercedesrover has a mercedes diesel in his and that project looked cool as well.

Welcome, this is a great community. I have never failed to glean good information from the responses I have received here even when I disagree strongly.

greasyhandsagain
12-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Yup, sorry, I understand military and family commitments. Good luck with the project, hope to meet you out on a trail someday. Greasy

JChinch
12-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Absolutely no hard feelings. Just stated my case, and I could have done it in a more respectful manor. I do appreciate you being honest.

What kind of power would I be looking to get out of a 200TDI or benz motor?

ktom300
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I guess I'd approach this project differently. I wouldn't even waste the time getting the motor started. What's the point? Thee frame is trash, the clutch is siezed, and looking at the condition of the vehicle, electrics and brakes are probably toast. Besides, if you are committed to restoring this truck you are sure to want to upgrade the motor anyway. I would spend the time dismantling the vehicle, inspecting parts, and storing the pieces worth keeping. On a series III there are a lot of little things that are difficult or super expensive to replace, especially at the dash. So start looking at what's available and what's not. Also it's a good time to start mitigating any of the damage on those parts which are to be saved and re-used.

I guess some people have a lot more cash than others. I can't figure out why anyone would just replace/rebuild the whole drive train without know if it ran and how well.

JChinch
12-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I definitely do not want to keep stirring the pot here, but I saw a great set up here:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/lonn_V8.htm

Thanks TeriAnn for having some wonderful information throughout your site.. Is the LR Owner that did this conversion on here? How long ago was this done? Am I about to be blasted for wanting to stray away from LR powerplants. . . Obviously with mine being registered and having the false plate in the cab claiming it's a IIa when it's far from it, my 109 is already lost to the times. Thoughts?

greenmeanie
12-10-2009, 12:44 PM
It is your truck and your money so do with it as you please. An old Rover, whether restored or modified, is never going to be a sound investment so make it into a vehicle that suits your purposes and you enjoy rather than some hypothetical future owner.

If you choose to go with a repower there are plenty of us on here that have followed a similar path and like discussing the possibilities.

yorker
12-10-2009, 01:27 PM
get a copy of this and watch it:

http://www.a4x4isborn.com/

you might be able to download it off of the net- it might give you some ideas.

kevkon
12-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I guess some people have a lot more cash than others. I can't figure out why anyone would just replace/rebuild the whole drive train without know if it ran and how well.

Are you serious????
As far as cash goes, I don't have piles laying around. That's why I rebuild and customize so much. Anyway, I really don't see how spending time and cash on what obviously needs major work is in any way frugal. Nor is ruining salvageable parts because of an impulse to get something running that needs a ton of tlc. I have seen a lot of instances where that is exactly what happened. Trashing a trans because of a seized bearing does not seem to me to be a smart financial move. Ask any pro restorer and they will give the same advice.

Greenmeanie, I agree completely.

JChinch
12-10-2009, 02:45 PM
I guess what it's coming down to is this. I KNOW the frame is trashed, I knew that when I made this purchase, but for the price I paid, i got a good body that obviously still needs TLC and good glass.

I love how this stirred up opinions like I wouldn't believe, but ultimately re-powering seems to be the way to go. I already have to get a new chassis which is ok for me because again, I'm not loosing anything on this. Now as far as the new driveline, I'd love to salvage old parts and rebreath whats already going on under there, but quite honestly that 70-something BHP motor wouldn't get me up (it would, but i have better things to do than waste half a day) the mountain I live on back in NH, let alone around town.

As far as simplicity goes, I could find a carbed 350 anywhere, as well as the NV4500 trans and do something like that. That's really not even that much fab work. But, are there 200/300TDI's floating out there, and if so, what are they going for?

And again, without getting too far off the mark, when does someone draw the line of just being overboard with hopes. Really the possibilities are endless, but what's a practical driver for power while keeping it Rover? I'm not looking for a full resto, I like creative.

yorker
12-10-2009, 03:08 PM
http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/5339?page=1

kevkon
12-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Really the possibilities are endless, but what's a practical driver for power while keeping it Rover? I'm not looking for a full resto, I like creative.

The answer to that lies entirely with each Series owner. I think each of us have gravitated toward the Series for our own reasons and as such the extent of that which we alter is dependent upon how we see the truck. I love customizing and that has been my background, but in the case of my Series I'm not so sure I want to get away from the basics. I knew the limitations of this truck when I got it and I think in a strange way it's very basic simplicity and it's weaknesses as well were a large part of the draw. From an objective position, my opinion on power options is that whatever one chooses it must be done with the entire picture in mind. In other words; more power should be accompanied with stronger drive train components, better suspension, and increased braking. Beyond that, I say whatever floats your boat!

greenmeanie
12-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I think the best place to start would be to write down what you want this truck to do for you and then use this to develop a spec. It gives you something to look at to remind yourself why you are buying the parts you have chosen. You can also pull it out later and have a laugh when you see what you thought you wanted vs what you built.
Knowing the above you can shoot for the mild to wild. Cummins 4BT/6BT SOA monster trucks are out there as well as far more subtle builds like Mercedes Jim’s MB powered 109. Is diesel important to you? A used 350 can be had much cheaper than most Rover engines and delivers way more power. Your power plant choice may dictate your drive train, gearing and axles. Stopping power is always a good thing. Generally the Rover engines are more expensive than the domestic lumps. Some offer bolt in solutions but which is an advantage.
Spend some time reading the threads and you’ll find reference to:
Ford 302, T18, Series TC
Ford 300 +?
Chevy 350, LT95
Chevy 350 to stock series g’box
Cummins 4BT & 6BT
Chevy Vortec 4.8L with 4L60E auto box.
Chevy 4.3L, NP3500 (?), series TC
Chevy 151/250/292 to series gearbox & TC using a Scotty’s adapter.
Chevy 292, Ford NP435, Series TC.
Mercedes diesel to series gearbox and TC
Mercedes diesel to Ford NP435 and series TC.
Izuzu 3.9 plus LT95.
If you want to keep it LR then there are:
Rover V8
200TDI diesel to series drive train which is probably the most desirable Rover diesel swap.
300TDI, LT77 or R380 and LT320 TC
2.5NA diesel to series drivetrain.
THat doesn't even get into axle options.
I am sure I’ve missed some but these are what I can remember off the top of my head. A lot of these installations need the bulkhead tweaked for clearance which is something to bear in mind before spending money on repairs. Most also need revised engine mounts and various tweaks to the chassis which is a lot easier if the chassis has not been galvanized first. I don’t think any of the replacement chassis people sell them in bare steel so you’re left hunting for a used item or paying someone willing to weld galvy.

JChinch
12-10-2009, 06:27 PM
To everyone... I just want to express a huge Thanks.

I had absolutely no idea that my few posts would have generated so many responses. So really, thank you very much. Over the next few weeks I'll do exactly what you suggested Greenmeanie, although I have done it in ways already I'll search through the threads to see what works with what keeping in mind the obvious things such as susp and brakes.

I look forward to asking for more help, I almost wish I waited until the 109 was in my hands! Had I known this would have been so helpful so quick. Without a doubt one of the best forums I've been on, and that goes for all my vehicles.

Thanks guys! I'll let this one fade away until I ask some more blood boiling questions, Until then.. I promise I won't put an Alfa Romeo engine in a Land Rover. Yet.

yorker
12-11-2009, 09:45 AM
To everyone... I just want to express a huge Thanks.

I had absolutely no idea that my few posts would have generated so many responsesWithout a doubt one of the best forums I've been on, and that goes for all my vehicles.

The US LR community has changed a lot over the last 10-15 years. A while back you'd have been burned at the stake for even talking about changing a Series LR. Now people are much more forgiving and willing to say

"hey it is your truck do what you want!" :thumb-up:

Tim Smith
12-11-2009, 07:39 PM
I still stumped on putting a Milano Verde 3 liter in a series truck. :confused:
PrskWK-H29Q

JChinch
12-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Haha, one of the better videos for sound quality. . I do love Alfa's. . .

It was a terrible joke I know :) It would be an unreal challenge though. . . One of those things that sounded better in my head than it did coming out of my mouth. Worse things have been though up, like buying a second Alfa Romeo. :nono:

Tim Smith
12-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Haha, one of the better videos for sound quality. . I do love Alfa's. . .

It was a terrible joke I know :) It would be an unreal challenge though. . . One of those things that sounded better in my head than it did coming out of my mouth. Worse things have been though up, like buying a second Alfa Romeo. :nono:When you first mentioned it, I immediately thought of the old PVR (Peugeot-Renault-Volvo) V6's which were absolutely delightful if you ask me. I remember driving some friends to the airport in an old 505 V6 via Manhattan and have vivid memories of the taxi's getting out of my way well in advance. My passengers were speechless. Low end torque and high end power were both very good so I always believed one of these would make a decent conversion engine. Probably too much power for the rest of the drive line though.

Your alfa 3 liter is probably like my old fiat. Spastic and useless below 2000k. I can only think that transplanting that engine into a series truck would result in lots of smoke with broken bits guiding your walk home.

If you want to make a hybrid, I say go for a slow running-high torque power plant that is middle of the road. For example, I'm soon to be installing a Mercedes 617 turbo diesel into a project truck (just like MercedesJim's truck) and from what I can figure it will be a great replacement. Lots of torque down low, power up top and it spins faster than a standard 2.25 which is what you have. So you could expect to keep up in traffic without fear of blowing it up and truck along the trails without lugging it.

I still think a weekend getting your current truck running would be time well spent. You could at least prove that the mechanics work and if nothing else, it would help you sell off the parts to pay for the new toys.

Do let us know how it goes. If for nothing else but to keep up the heated debate. :p

Nium
12-11-2009, 09:40 PM
I think it's about time someone put a turbine in a Series.:D Now there would be some power!!

Belated Welcome Aboard! Can't wait to see which power plant rebuild route you decide on.

Cheers

Tim Smith
12-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Just so you know, my 109 project was originally slated to be an electric hybrid with a backup generator for long distance. Lots of ideas were tossed around about the generator including using a small turbine to power it.

The electric power is the easy part but trying to figure out how many KWH it takes to make a series truck go down the highway was too much math for me. When the wind is with you the math works one way. Otherwise... well lets just say I'd rather be in recess. ;) Any way, on the trails, you'd either be starting forest fires or steaming ahead with smokey the bear running for cover.

Feast your eyes on this (not so small turbine) minivan.

-R2EmW-00d4

Nium
12-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Tim,
Your picture didn't turn out nor the one for post #36, well at least for me they didn't, I would like to see a mini van turbine powered (Tim "Toolman" grunt's here). I remember reading once that Jay Leno had a turbine driven motorcycle. He said when cars would crowd him at lights he could watch the front bumpers melt.

Tim Smith
12-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R2EmW-00d4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrskWK-H29Q

Just playing around. It's a quiet Friday night.

Tim Smith
12-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Always had love for the pulse jet idea though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U-grFuXZ9U

5U-grFuXZ9U

Nium
12-11-2009, 10:53 PM
:thumb-up: Good Stuff! Thanks Tim.

JChinch
12-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Really what I was going to aim for with a conversion was a BioDiesel. At least a diesel to start, just because I like the idea with the option later of going the BioDiesel route. I am starting to drool over the Benz conversion I keep reading so much about. Man Oh man. . . it's going to be a LONG holiday season this year.

greasyhandsagain
12-12-2009, 06:03 PM
You could really make an eco friendly vehicle by using only Gravity power. Just get some strong buddies, and push it to the top of hills. Then, you just coast down. Very Green and eco friendly.

OR, if you have the funds, purchase a Doble Steam Car, and cannibalize the motor and driveline out of that ol hunk O junk and put them into your rover!

Personally, Id like to see you use the straignt 8 flathead engine out of a 40s era Packard! They are a great motor. I once watched an owner balance a nickel on edge on top of the head...while the motor was running.

Arent we cruel? :D

JChinch
12-13-2009, 09:35 PM
I do like those suggestions! You almost had me with the Gravity Power. . .It's a shame my friends drive Alfa's and old BMW's, between our cars there's a lot of pushing going on!

Anything is better than what my 109 runs on now. Which happens to be Hopes and Dreams. It's pretty Eco-Friendly right now. :p