PDA

View Full Version : Series IIa or Series III?

brucejohn
12-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Kevkon brought up an interesting point on the 'Where do I start??' thread I have been wondering about:
On a series III there are a lot of little things that are difficult or super expensive to replace, especially at the dash.

I have an 82 Series III 109 (titled) with a reasonable body, engine and transmission that really needs to have the bulkhead restored or replaced on an early sixties IIa (no title) chassis. Now stashed behind my barn sits an okay IIa 109 body, bulkhead, engine and transmission (minus the bell housing).

My plan has been to enjoy driving the III while I attempt to refurbish the IIa body. It seems folks gravitate toward the IIa's more than the III's.

Is it worth it to truly refurbish the III or is it just too expensive in the end for a noob like myself, so I should stick with the IIa?

Lalo88DK
12-10-2009, 12:26 AM
I'd go for both of them :thumb-up:

crankin
12-10-2009, 08:56 AM
You could really argue that restoring a SIIa could be more expensive then a SIII. It really all depends on how deep you want to go with the restoration. My SIII dash was patched and recovered, although it is not 100% correct looking it is not going to hack the purist at heart off….and it only cost $150 to do it.

There are some subtle differences between the IIa’s and the III’s that cause each owner to love them for various reasons. For instance with me… a guy I know has a 1967 IIa…and I hate him because he slept with my wife….so, I went with a SIII (joking…only joking! It was my girlfriend).

kevkon
12-10-2009, 09:03 AM
It seems to me that Series III specific parts are harder to find, but it does depend on whether it's LHD or RHD. I can find tons of RHD parts on EBay UK, but LHD parts are a different story. Look at the import numbers for the different versions and compatibility. I recovered my dash as well and I used a much higher quality fabric than OEM. There are a lot of little things though that are just tough to find.

SafeAirOne
12-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Don't think that a SIII is worse than a IIA maintenance-wise. It isn't. On the SIIA, there are a lot of things that are equally as difficult or super-expensive to replace. You will have some extra minor work to do to access the rear of the instrument panel/ignition switch, but otherwise there's not much else to be concerned about. Of course, you'll have dual power brakes, better rear axle assembly and newer stuff on the SIII, otherwise, it's pretty much the same.

I think the choice should be "which rover is nearest to being roadable." Other considerations are unnecessary as the vehicles are essentially the same.

TeriAnn
12-10-2009, 09:56 AM
I have an 82 Series III 109 (titled) with a reasonable body, engine and transmission that really needs to have the bulkhead restored or replaced

I believe I know where there is a SIII bulkhead that is coming up for sale in California if you know of a way to get it to you.

brucejohn
12-10-2009, 10:11 AM
I believe I know where there is a SIII bulkhead that is coming up for sale in California if you know of a way to get it to you.

TeriAnn please PM me. I have family in both Northern and Southern California and will be out there for Christmas. Thank you.

leafsprung
12-10-2009, 12:14 PM
sell both, get a series one

ivarra
12-10-2009, 12:21 PM
…and I hate him because he slept with my wife….so, I went with a SIII (joking…only joking! It was my girlfriend).

Oh, so your girlfriend slept with your wife? What happened to the guy with the 67 11A then? :cool:

brucejohn
12-10-2009, 12:34 PM
sell both, get a series one

I should have added that as an option; certainly didn't mean to leave anyone out. =)

crankin
12-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Oh, so your girlfriend slept with your wife? What happened to the guy with the 67 11A then? :cool:

Ha... this is one of my stories...not amcordo's. I'm not that lucky...

brucejohn
12-11-2009, 06:38 AM
What did happen to the guy with the 67 11A then? It appears he refurbished it.

So far most forum commentators clearly prefer refurbishing a IIa. I like the both option myself. How to get my better half on board? Maybe if I paint it her color?

Not many strong Series III opinions.

kevkon
12-11-2009, 07:14 AM
I would definitely prefer the Series III. It's basically the same as it's predecessors only more road use friendly. They are all a step in the progression of the design. Of course there is that metal vs plastic dash silliness to contend with.

Leslie
12-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I voted both.

The SIIa is 'classic'. As my SII is right-handed, w/ no top or doors, it's fun tooling around in the summer, w/ everyone thinking that the lab is driving.

But, if I was heading out the door to go four-wheelin', if I was going to be using it for a back-up commuter, if I was going to head out on a snowy day, I'd be in the SIII hands-down, everytime. Not just the hardtop, or a more effective heater, but easier shifting, and, because of that plastic dash, a modicum more of protection over a bare SII/SIIa dash....

It's nice having the two, I'm not gonna get rid of either one, but, if I had to choose, I'd have to keep the SIII.....

ignotus
12-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Interesting to note; over 400 views and 25 votes to the poll.

Do like my friend and put a series 2a bulkhead on the series 3. Then you can fix em both up!:thumb-up:

TeriAnn
12-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Do like my friend and put a series 2a bulkhead on the series 3. Then you can fix em both up!:thumb-up:

Not a good idea. I'm trying to sell him your friends now surplus SIII bulkhead.

He can then fix them both up and end up with 2 trucks.

badvibes
12-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Interesting to note; over 400 views and 25 votes to the poll.

OK doing my duty to not be one of the over 375..... So if one does this and uses a 2 bulkhead on a 3 or vice versa, or does like siiirhd88 did and uses both headlights in the breakfast and out on the wings (a look I really like by the way) does the math come up to something new? I mean if add Series 2 parts with Series 3 parts do you now have a Series 5? I voted Series 2 because if I can have only 1 type of headlights I like the narrow look.

Jeff

TeriAnn
12-12-2009, 03:40 PM
I mean if add Series 2 parts with Series 3 parts do you now have a Series 5?

You get a bitsa truck. One that is a bitsa this and a bitsa that but not quite any grouping other than other bitsa trucks. Kinda like my truck. Its a 1960 through 1994 truck.

He seems to be rebuilding his 1973 truck into a 1959 through 1973 truck. But it already had a mid 1960's 7:1 engine & IIA gearbox in it when he got it.

To answer your other question it has SII radiator bulkhead and front wings, so no quad headlamps.

And no I don't now why he is doing this other than it pleases him to do so and rewiring his truck for him gives me a little something to occupy my spare time with.

utahseries
12-13-2009, 04:04 PM
I personally vouch for the IIA, just because there are less of them on the road. Oh, and No series 3 owner should be complaining about how expensive parts are.. Try Rebuilding a Series 1!

SafeAirOne
12-13-2009, 06:33 PM
I personally vouch for the IIA, just because there are less of them on the road.

Hmm...Maybe that's true WORLDWIDE, but certainly not in the US of A.

Typical Series Land Rover Gathering in the US:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2772/4182592415_e0874e7f6d_o.jpg

bmohan55
12-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Didn't think the EPA allowed that many Series at one spot at the same time.

brucejohn
12-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Didn't think the EPA allowed that many Series at one spot at the same time.

Unless you gather in a state that classifies used oil as a hazardous material I think you're okay.

Thanks for all the polling, there seems to be little doubt folks here prefer the IIa's over the III's. Vote if you haven't.=)

brucejohn
12-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Well, it appears the forum has spoken. Focus on rebuilding the IIa I likely will do. There is something about the IIa look that screams classic rover isn't there.

Out of the multitude of viewers I particularly what to thank those of you who took the time to vote. Thank you. This is a great place.