PDA

View Full Version : differential question

marlin66
12-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Went 4 wheeling yesterday and blew out rear diff in my 1966 88. I have 2 used diffs at home but they don't fit. My axle housing is early type with 2 locating dowels. Extra Diffs I have are newer style and don't have holes for dowels. Question: What's the best way to fit them (i.e., punch out the dowels from the axle housing, grind down the dowels or drill dowel holes in the replacement diffs?)

Thanks

scott
12-11-2009, 09:25 AM
i did the same thing, and temporarily fitted a diff from a rrc. i used the gasket as a template and drill a whole in the diff for the guide pin

gudjeon
12-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Grab on to the dowels with a vise grip plier, twist, and pull. They should come out. I put a ser3 rear diff in my ser1. Pull the locating dowels and it should be fine. The ser3 design must have found these to be redundant. I lines up just fine without.:thumb-up:

scott
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Grab on to the dowels with a vise grip plier, twist, and pull. They should come out. I put a ser3 rear diff in my ser1. Pull the locating dowels and it should be fine. The ser3 design must have found these to be redundant. I lines up just fine without.:thumb-up:

gud,

i wish i'd known they just pulled out, would have been easier. drilling the diff wasn't hard as i had pulled everything out of it to change the ring and pinon gears. when i blew mine it was the spider gears and the rrc spider gear group didn't fit in my iia diff casing but the iia r/p gear fit the rrc 3rd mbr. i was surprised at how easy the drill went through that casing. i eventually rebuilt my iia diff with a trutrac from gbr

gudjeon
12-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Yes, the nodular type of cast the housings are made from machine pretty easily. Lucky for those that need a bit of modification.:thumb-up:

It wouldn't be a Landrover without going the long way.

marlin66
12-14-2009, 02:37 AM
thanks to all for your insight. I just pulled the dowels and put in the replacement. back on the road now.