PDA

View Full Version : dual system 109 rear brake line length?

brucejohn
12-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Okay, before I go ballistic on our hosts Monday morning help me out a bit if you would. First, I need to calm down, second I need to end up with the right part. Helping me with obtaining the right part would be most helpful, I may sip on a scotch for it's soothing effects.

I 2nd day aired a rear brake line (594747) for my dual system 109. So, this weekend's goal was to actually drive the old girl. I have been looking forward to this for too long. Anyway, I start at the front unrolling and shaping the line as I go to match the one I removed. About half way toward the back as I am trying to straighten out the whole new line I notice it is quite a bit shorter than the old one. Turns out it is about 16" shorter than the old one and 4" shorter that the straight distance between the front 4way junction and the rear bracket for the flex line.

Old line: about 88",
New line: about 72"
straight line distance between end points: about 76"

I have a dual system with a 4 way junction. Two lines and the switch entering on the top from the master cylinder and dash, respectively; two lines exiting the bottom, one to the front brakes, one to the rears. The junction is mounted at the tab I have on both the SIIa and SIII chassis and the rear bracket is also in the same location on both chassis.

So, is there anyone with a 109" that could use a 72" rear brake line, or did RN send me a bad part?

leafsprung
12-12-2009, 07:59 PM
The line you have 594747 or NRC4278 is the correct part number for a dual circuit brake equiped 109. If you are having problems with the line length make your own line. It costs less, takes less time than waiting for a part to be shipped AND will be the correct length. Make it in stainless and you wont have to worry about it again. :thumb-up:

brucejohn
12-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks leafsprung. I am calmer now and was able clean up the threads in the old brass fitting successfully, so I may not need the new part. What I still do need to know though is if the part I received is faulty or is there something really different about my truck. I hope I can return the part for credit, but if my truck is off that's my problem.

Anyway, I really just needed to vent a little steam earlier, peace has returned. Thanks for the thoughts, I think I see a flaring tool in my future.

Mercedesrover
12-13-2009, 06:11 AM
I have really good luck with the Automec brake line kits. They fit, they're easy to form and they don't corrode like most brake lines. They're pretty inexpensive too.

brucejohn
12-13-2009, 09:02 AM
I have really good luck with the Automec brake line kits. They fit, they're easy to form and they don't corrode like most brake lines. They're pretty inexpensive too.

Through Paddock? It looks like you can get all the lines handed and all. Thanks for the tip. I love this place.

I could still use some one else's measurement of the length from the union on the chassis at the footwell back to the rear flex hose bracket, if some one would be so kind as to crawl underneath, please? =}

Mercedesrover
12-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Through Paddock?

PM sent. My mom always said "dance with them that brung ya!" so it's not polite to type the name here.

yorker
12-14-2009, 05:47 AM

I've had great luck with Automec brakelines too- RN doesn't carry them but other US sources do some are cheaper than others but here int he rustbelt I think they are the way to go.

JackIIA
12-14-2009, 10:06 AM
I thought Automec made copper brake pipes, which are illegal in the U.S., unless things have changed, which I doubt. But maybe they make a wider variety than I know about.

yorker
12-14-2009, 10:58 AM
I thought Automec made copper brake pipes, which are illegal in the U.S., unless things have changed, which I doubt. But maybe they make a wider variety than I know about.

http://64.90.169.191/applications/automotive/hydraulic_brake_tube.html

http://64.90.169.191/applications/automotive/brake.html

Cunifer (http://cunifer.com/?page=home)- a copper nickel alloy. Volvos have had them for some 30 years or so.

JackIIA
12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Don't want to hijack this thread TOO much, but if I can believe the attached article, rigid brake pipes are not regulated by U.S. govt(!) See paragraph on page 2, just below the barchart on this link (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/www.brakequip.com/pdf/ezibend_2.pdf). This article makes the case for Cunifer, posted by Yorker, which I had never heard of. always something new.

if the link doesn't work....

www.brakequip.com/pdf/ezibend_2.pdf

brucejohn
12-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Don't want to hijack this thread TOO much, but...

No worries, lots of great information I wish I had known before I did some of the other work I have already accomplished.

I still would really appreciate knowing the distance from the brake line junction below the master cylinder near the foot well to the rear flex hose bracket on a 109 dual system chassis.

Keep hijacking with all the great brakeline scope AND help me find the info I need.:thumb-up:

yorker
12-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Don't want to hijack this thread TOO much, but if I can believe the attached article, rigid brake pipes are not regulated by U.S. govt(!)

That was my understanding- After all-manufactures have supplied cunifer lines stock original equipment. I recently disposed of my 1983 Volvo it still had the original copper nickel brake lines on it after all that time. On the other hand I have a 1995 VW Jetta that is on its 3rd set of brake lines since I purchased it back ~2004, I believe they had been done at least once before that.

With the salt and other nasty de-icing chemicals they use in the Northeast now I think SS or Cunifer is the way to go- at least on something you intend to keep more than a few years.

http://www.austinhealeywood.com/brakestory.html

You guys outside of the rust belt can probably get away with regular lines. :thumb-up:

SafeAirOne
12-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Not to help you hijack this thread, but the copper lines I have on my 73 SIII from the UK are the only non-corroded bits on the underside of my 109. Don't know when they were installed, but I've been running them for 6 years now.

Brucejon: Sorry I can't help with the measurement--Mines a RHD, single-circuit system. I usually just make my own line, like Ike says.

brucejohn
12-16-2009, 08:42 AM
I usually just make my own line, like Ike says.

I got it, I am hoping for some back up before I call RN announcing they sent me a bogus part. I would assume the RHD 3 way junction near the foot well would be in the same location as the RHD 4 way?

Thanks for all your help.