PDA

View Full Version : 1967 SIIA LW109 (What's my rig worth these days?)

illianaHC
12-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Hello all;
There's a looooong story to this question but in brief, what kind of market & value does my truck have these days?

Here's a few pics & due to the time a detailed description will be added this week.

Thanks,

Mark

kevin-ct
12-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi Mark,

I'll give you a $1000 for it. :D Can I come over now? (look in your drive way i'm outside)

If the under side looks as nice as the top side, I would think that a fare price is about 12k to 16k.

But thats from looking at three photos if it.

Please post more photos and details.

Kevin

NickDawson
12-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Great looking truck! Im not as well versed as others around here, but I did spend 6 months shopping for a series truck this year. Im inclined to agree with Kevin (who I sent for coffee, I'll hold his place in line at your house, $1,100?) ... I think you could do torwards the upper end, closer to 15K.

Heck, sell it to orvis for $50K, they would sell it for 65K anyway :D

TedW
12-14-2009, 08:12 AM
I need to get mine appraised for an insurance quote, but can't find anyone nearby to do it.

kevin-ct
12-14-2009, 10:16 AM
I need to get mine appraised for an insurance quote, but can't find anyone nearby to do it.

Ask the insurance comp if they can send you someone.

East Cost Rover?

illianaHC
12-14-2009, 11:11 AM
LOL! You guys are hillarious! Hey, where's my coffee?

I'm working on a detailed MS Word document detailing my rig. Lots of history & very well maintained. I've driven it a total of 50 miles in the last 7 years & probably has less than 200 in the last 15. Mostly in storage & has been thoroughly restored using a few of the major vendors w/ OEM parts.
I know that there has to be someone out there that would like to use & drive this a lot more than me. I'd really like to have someone in the Chicagoland area come out & give me a good idea of where to sell it & approx value not based on pics.
Do you know of anyone around Chicago that would be willing to help? I've tried contacting the local LR club but no one ever replies to e-mails. Pretty shameful if yo uask me.

Thanks & I'll be back with more pics & info.

Mark

TedW
12-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Ask the insurance comp if they can send you someone.

Already did. When I called the place and told them what I had they said "Umm, I'm not so sure about that one. I'll have to call you back."

Haven't heard from them yet, and that was a week ago.

East Cost Rover?

Too far away, plus the fact (my apologies in advance to their fans on this forum) that I contacted them once about a major project and found their attitude to be extraordinarily condescending. They may not be that way anymore, but I'm not particularly interested in finding out.

scott
12-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Too far away, plus the fact (my apologies in advance to their fans on this forum) that I contacted them once about a major project and found their attitude to be extraordinarily condescending. They may not be that way anymore, but I'm not particularly interested in finding out.

i wouldn't apologize, ECR is a business that does good work for a customer that is different, not better or worse than I, just different. Their clientele appreciate good work and can afford to pay premium rates. And there probably ain't much of a return on their investment to do appraisals. Now bring 'em a basket case needing restored and blank check and i bet you'll find them very responsive. the LR Ranch in NM seems to be the same way.

Like it was said earlier, if your 109 is as pretty on the underside as it is topside then you have a LR that will fetch in excess of $15,000 from the kind of Series enthusiast that might otherwise be a customer of companies like the LR Ranch or ECR. So you see you might be view as competition.

If you like I'll give you $1150 and you won't have to worry about getting your feelings hurt by those guys' "condescending" attitude.

TedW
12-14-2009, 12:01 PM
If you like I'll give you $1150 and you won't have to worry about getting your feelings hurt by those guys' "condescending" attitude.

I think you're confusing me with illianaHC, who started the thread.

My feelings weren't hurt - far from it. I could afford the price quoted for the project, and was fully aware of their reputation for quality work. I just wasn't about to ask them to please consider taking my business. Their loss, not mine.

illianaHC
12-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Hey Scott;
I think there is some confusion from TED looking for a quote for insurance & my thread about general info & valuation. I've had nothing condesending said to me from anyone. In fact, the Chicago LR club won't even reply to e-mails! :p
The $1150 is tempting but....NO!!! :eek::nono::thumb-up::D
How can I accept an offer from a guy that didn't even bring coffe this morning while sitting in my driveway?!?:cool:

scott
12-14-2009, 01:05 PM
ill & ted

sorry about the mix up. but all you guys with pretty trucks start to blur together after a while :o.

ill, i spilt the coffee on the way so i just turn around and headed to work instead.

ted, it amazes me that finding amiable folks in the retail or service business is such a crap shoot. i guess that's what happens when folks spend their money at places despite how they're treated. treat me nice and i might buy from you, treat me rude and there's no freak'n way ya get my money

Bertha
12-14-2009, 01:52 PM
ted, it amazes me that finding amiable folks in the retail or service business is such a crap shoot. i guess that's what happens when folks spend their money at places despite how they're treated. treat me nice and i might buy from you, treat me rude and there's no freak'n way ya get my money

Vote with your dollar, thats how I do it. Ted's thoughts on the said shop are fairly accurate.

stomper
12-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Ted, I would suggest an appraisal from Matt Brown at Overland Engineering in Elliot, Maine. You may know him, he does occasionally appear here on the forums too.

While I have not met him, he is working on a quote for me for some work, and has been quite diligent on keeping me updated with how the quote is coming. Some time ago, a mechanic from ECR was quoted as saying if he couldn't work on his own rover, he would have Matt do the work for him.

Obviously, an appraisal is necessary for insurances, but a vehicle is really only worth what someone else would PAY for your vehicle. Some schmuck paid $65,000 for the one in the Orvis Catalog, so based on that, the OP would possibly be looking at $30,000 maybe? marketing is everything. I would have to believe that $16,000 to $19,000 in the right circles would be reasonable based on the current pictures and info at hand.

Blueboy
12-14-2009, 02:11 PM
TedW,

you might also want to consider stated value or words to that effect insurance.

MercedesRover has written a few replys on the topic here although I can't remember exactly which thread.

do remember he used Chubb though.

could be an alternative.

Jaime

TedW
12-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Ted, I would suggest an appraisal from Matt Brown at Overland Engineering in Elliot, Maine. You may know him, he does occasionally appear here on the forums too.

That's a great idea, Stomper! Thanks for the suggestion. Only problem: I'll come back with a truck full of parts I don't really need..............

Bertha
12-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Ted, I would suggest an appraisal from Matt Brown at Overland Engineering in Elliot, Maine.

One thing to note in regards to insurance appraisals is that insurance companies will only accept an appraisal from a company/person licensed to appraise cars.

TedW
12-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Hello all;
There's a looooong story to this question but in brief, what kind of market & value does my truck have these days?

Here's a few pics & due to the time a detailed description will be added this week.

Thanks,

Mark

Hey Mark:

Sorry about the thread hijack! My bad.......

Can you post some Interior fotos? Especially of the dash.

That's one handsome sled.

illianaHC
12-14-2009, 07:43 PM
No prob Ted. I've been there myself.

Here goes some interior pics...

kevin-ct
12-14-2009, 08:07 PM
No prob Ted. I've been there myself.

Here goes some interior pics...

Whats with the red paint under the hood? :eek:

stomper
12-15-2009, 06:13 AM
Awww, you ruined it with the red paint. Now it isn't worth anything. I guess you better cut your losses and sell it to the highest bidder at $1150. :D

But seriously, to fetch high dollar prices, like Orvis did, it would have to be a perfect representation as it arrived from the factory.

My recommendation would be to place it in LRX, and the other usual places, and put a list price of $22,000. See if you get any interest. Plan on actually selling it for $20,000. This is assuming the frame is clean and rust free. Otherwise, all bets are off.

illianaHC
12-15-2009, 10:07 AM
You know, I thought it was odd myself when I bought it. The guy I bought it from said that he wanted to dress it up a bit without adding the chrome stuff. I have done nothing to this rig since I bought it except drive it. It's one of 7 vehicles I own & never sees any daylight except when I need to clean the garage. I bought it to use to drive the kids to school & run around town but just never got around to it. I mainly have used it to shuttle the kids to the local park & back. Quite a shame actually.

As far as the frame & rust issues...there are none. Having been in a climate controlled storage for well over 15+ years & never being driven regularly, the only things needing attention are the wearables (IE: hoses, seals, etc...)

Here are a few pics of her bottom...;)

illianaHC
12-15-2009, 10:08 AM
BTW... being new to this, what the heck is Orvis, LRX, and all the "usual" places to go to sell it if that's what I decide to do? Sounds pretty retarded but I'm a newbie here.:rolleyes:

jrd51ox
12-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Orvis is an old hunting / outdoor goods company from VT. They recently sold a 1962 109 with huge price. Beautiful rover....but the price tag was crazy, I think it went for $65K....but they threw in some Battenkill luggage, so it was a deal, HA.
http://www.orvis.com/landrover

LRX= Land Rover Exchange, a place to buy & sell all things rover.
http://landroverexchange.com/

Good luck....beautiful rover by the way.

Take care.

illianaHC
12-15-2009, 10:23 AM
All you guys are the best! Good info will help me decide what to do in 2010.
For some reason, I cannot post any more pics. I guess we're only allowed so much storage on this site? I guess I'll have to delete some first pics & upload the undercarriage stuff after.

Oh well, I guess I'll stick to text then. :p

jp-
12-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi there,

What is the object located above the rear view mirror? And the thing located just below the speedometer, near the VIN plate?

-John

illianaHC
12-15-2009, 08:08 PM
I believe the plastic box (above the rv mirror) houses the alarm system. I've never used it though.
There are 2 things under the speedo you can be talking about. One is a manual choke that has a black handle & teeth. The second thing that you can be talking about is the rear light switch that activates the rear lights when putting trans into reverse.

I hope this helps.