PDA

View Full Version : Won't go over 20mph

Green100inchRR
12-14-2009, 08:34 AM
This is my first post and actually my first Rover forum but I've had my Classic for about a year and managed to fix everything myself but this one has me stumped.

Last night after a week of no problems I knew it had to be too good to be true. My truck is a 1990 Range Rover Classic with 240k that I bought from an engineer at work and was meticulously maintained but has since required every penny I've made since purchasing it.

When The gas pedal is pushed all the way to the floor the engine would cut out completely until I backed off an inch and it would come back. Not a problem unless I was really trying to get the transmission to kick down. It never really posed a problem. Last night I went to that dreaded danger zone and all of a sudden it wouldnt go over about 20mph. I had to feather the pedal to get it to go anywhere and in certain spots it would just die.

I just put in a Roverconnection custom 140amp alternator and dual battery with split charging system to run the winch, so for now i'm going to rule out that. Even though I just recently learned that she doesnt like cheap chinese alternators, after going through 6 in as many months and for some reason crappy alternators cause all kinds of weird issues.

My first mistake was to make this thing my daily driver and I need to get this sorted out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

phoenix
12-14-2009, 03:32 PM
throtle position sensor

Les Parker
12-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Also check for any vacuum leaks.

Green100inchRR
12-22-2009, 06:44 AM
So, after installing a new throttle position sensor and having it continue to have the same problem, I checked all the vacuum lines and found a few dry rots and cracks and replaced them. Problem still existed. To make a long story short, I removed the mass air sensor to manifold hose, which is looks like 3 inch diameter dryer hose made of cloth. From the outside it looked like a 20 year old 3inch diameter dryer hose, but on the inside it was about the diameter of a nickel. The cloth had completely collapsed to the point where it was 90% blocked. Since this item is apparently no longer available new, it was off to Pep Boys for a suitable replacement. And as much as I hate that place, they had exactly what I needed. 3 inch diameter flex hose that can be cut to length that comes with screw on rubber couplers that fit on either end once you decide how long you want it. The only thing it didnt come with is hose clamps but the originals can be reused. Runs great.

kevin-ct
12-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Wow, Good find! I'm glad that it all worked out for you. :thumb-up:

happy Holiday's!!!! Keep Rovering into the new year!

Kevin

Green100inchRR
12-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your help Kevin!
Happy Holidays!