PDA

View Full Version : upgrade advice 2a 109

glbft1
12-21-2009, 10:01 AM
greetings,
We are currently upgrading our rig, comments about rear axles breaking alot
are on web-sites wanted some real world info, do these break alot, is it better to replace with new 10 spline axles every 35000 or so miles to prevent problems. or is worth every penny to upgrade to 24 spline and an arb locker in the rear.
This is an everyday driver and we want to explore alot in the woods this year just trying to get rid of problem areas now.
Thanks
Greg:D

yorker
12-21-2009, 10:26 AM
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/#rear

+

http://seriestrek.com/axles.html

= :D

Bertha
12-21-2009, 01:52 PM
I would find a good used salisbury. Thay are reasonably priced and durable.

Blueboy
12-21-2009, 05:01 PM
and an arb locker in the rear

just curious on why you feel the need for a locker?

Jaime

glbft1
12-21-2009, 08:56 PM
we do not need to get a locker just want to eliminate any axle problems, is it possible to just install hardened axles?? has anyone broken the 10 spline ones? thanks for the feedback

yorker
12-22-2009, 07:15 AM
we do not need to get a locker just want to eliminate any axle problems, is it possible to just install hardened axles?? has anyone broken the 10 spline ones? thanks for the feedback

Good god yes!:D People have broken the 10 spline axles! and the diffs... It is only a matter of time.

Find a Salisbury or look into Jim Young's axle upgrades (www.seriestrek.com) Forget about hardened 10 spline axles- it is just a archaic/poor design and its flaws become readily apparent when you do any serious offroading in an 88" or use a 109 with any real weight in it. You can get away with them for a while- loads of people do- but sooner or later...bang.

Blueboy
12-22-2009, 08:02 AM
we do not need to get a locker just want to eliminate any axle problems

like others have said, installing a Salisbury diff and the LR 24 spline half shafts is one option and keeps an open diff.

or install a Trutrac diff with new 24 spline shafts like those from Seriestrek for some traction aid in the rear.

or install a locker like ARB or Detroit with new 24 spline shafts like those from Seriestrek.

others will probably also chime in.

Jaime

bpj911
12-22-2009, 08:32 AM
I'd be interested in a salisbury if anyone could direct me to one.

TedW
12-22-2009, 08:43 AM
If I plan to replace my stock rear diff (1970 88 IIA), can I do so in such a way that it would now use a 24 spline axle??? What diff would that be, and would it be compatible with my stock front diff???

Or...can I rebuild my rear diff to accept 24 spline axles??

kidrover86
12-22-2009, 08:54 AM
FJ60 axles are pretty much a direct bolt in with disc brake tabs and are very stout (nearly as strong as a salisbury). It might be something to consider if your looking at upgrading your axle shafts. Although others may disagree, once you start putting custom shafts and toyota 3rd members in a rover housing, it's really alot cheaper and easier to just swap fj axles (complete assembly). Blasphemy, I know!...but it is another option you should be aware of.

To keep it strong AND rover salisbury is probably your best bet.

bpj911
12-22-2009, 10:56 AM
What specifically needs to be addressed with FJ60 axles?

slorocco
12-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I run a 109 station wagon and after breaking two stock rover diffs, I upgraded the rear to a Salisbury with a detroit locker. I have never regretted that upgrade. The detroit has worked really well for me and you don't have to think about it at all. The cost was less than swapping out both front and rear for toyota stuff. I've run that set up for 9 years with no problem, the front was still all stock LR 10 spline, on 32" tires.

Made a lot of changes to the rest of the drivertrain over the course of the last year and a half but I'm still running the same rear salisbury/detroit locker.

TeriAnn
12-26-2009, 11:13 AM
greetings,
We are currently upgrading our rig, comments about rear axles breaking alot
are on web-sites wanted some real world info, do these break alot, is it better to replace with new 10 spline axles every 35000 or so miles to prevent problems. or is worth every penny to upgrade to 24 spline and an arb locker in the rear.

As someone who replaced 7 broken rear axles and had the stock rear diff rebuilt a few times during the first 19 years I've owned my 109, I feel that it is a very good idea to uprate the rear axle assembly. I did mine in 1997 with a Salisbury assembly and have not broken anything back there since.

Land Rover fitted the Salisbury as standard equipment on 109s starting with the introduction of the Series III. It is a straight swap upgrade to an earlier 109. Just get a good SIII rear Salisbury, a new set of U bolts and a Series III 109 rear propshaft. Unbolt the old & bolt in the new. The Salisbury has a longer front than the Rover diff so the SIII rear propshaft is about two inches shorter.

A stock SIII Salisbury holds up quite well. Unless you are running a serious torque engine in conjunction with performance driving style or are into super gonzo rock crawling you are unlikely to run into rear axle failures. If you like to push the envelop the ARB is stronger than stock and stronger 24 spline axles are available. If you are really serious, you can upgrade to 35 spline axles with a little machining.

The only problem area with a Salisbury I have encountered is the drive flanges. This is a wear issue and not a breakage issue. They are a softer metal than the axles and over miles additional clearance grows between the axle splines and the drive flange splines. When it gets large enough you will notice it as a clunk. I found I was replacing my drive flanges every few years. There are hardened Salisbury drive flanges available. I put a set on a few years back and have not experienced the worn drive flange clunk since then.

For people with 88's:
A Salisbury has different spring mounting plates. A conversion requires cutting off the existing spring mounting plates and welding new ones on in the 88 location. It also means shortening the already very short 88 rear propshaft. I would recommend staying with the Rover axle housing and uprating the internals. Go with the stronger 24 spline ARB or Turtrac carrier and 24 spline axles. You keep your stock rear propshaft.

rosims
03-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Can anyone tell me? I have a tru-trac diff out of my Discovery 2, Will it work in my 109 s/w rover axle? I know I will have to get 24 spline axles, but will the 4.7 ring gear fit the D2 diff? Are the Bearings the same?

lrdukdog
03-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Check here to see if Gunny still has it, http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?456-Series-stuff-roll-up

It's at the bottom.
Jim Wolf