PDA

View Full Version : how about detroitlocker and 24 spline foe rear 2a 109 anybody have any exp?

glbft1
12-22-2009, 02:30 PM
well we got pricing on a salisbury think a 24 spline upgrade and a detroit might be the way to go on a 109 what do these drive like in rovers? is it dangerous? trying to get the most for what money I can spend( without the wife making me live it it....):D
Thanks for all the advice and info...... merry christmas to all
Greg

Les Parker
12-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Greg,

Beware the Detroits, you want to round a corner and they may not let you !!

:cool:

yorker
12-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Detroits take some getting used to- some people love them some hate them. Unless you are doing hard core rock crawling I'd go with a Detroit Truetrac- I think they'd suffice for 90% of Land Rover owners.

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/faq_category_1.html#a36

Linus Tremaine
12-22-2009, 03:54 PM
I had one in my dormobile. I hated it. The snapping is also very hard on the series gear box. Perhaps why I broke a layshaft. Always popping and causing bucking on turns.
I dont recommend a detroit locker.

Blueboy
12-22-2009, 05:21 PM
ahh, the Detroit locker versus other model discussion.

on other sites, this topic has filled pages upon pages with folks strong opinions supporting both sides.

glbft1, you really need to think about how much traction aid you want and the final goal.

0 help = an open diff like the Sals with stronger 24 spline shafts either LR or other manuf

some help = Trutrac with stronger 24 spline shafts either LR or other manuf

locked help = Detroit mechanical; always present or an ARB; selectable operation with stronger 24 spline shafts either LR or other manuf

personally for whats it worth, I've always had ARBs because I like the control of being able to be locked or open depending on the condition for my more off-highway oriented Rovers.

my 109 has a Sals with std LR 24 spline shafts or basically a NAS 110 set-up, yet, Blueboy only sees moderate off-highway use so even with the V8, this is robust enough.

Jaime

solihull109
12-22-2009, 05:25 PM
I think for what you want to do, and the fact that you live in Maine with icy roads, a selectable locker(ARB) is the best way to go, however, they're not cheap.

I think the Sals. rear might be a little overkill for what you want to do. A well built rear will hold up fine, and you won't be giving up the ground clearance. A salisbury axle hangs low, especially if running near stock size tires.

Give me a ring Greg.....:thumb-up:

JimCT
12-22-2009, 05:47 PM
The one time we laid the ambulance over if I had a locking rear axle I could have driven out of the situation. And it I had an ARB I woudl never have had it locked and at the point I decided a Detroit in the Salisbury was the way to go. I would not sorry much about the loss of clearance, what you hit with the Salisbury is pretty robust. I do think the weight of the ambulance negates the quirkyness of the locker, thought I have also heard that the newest one are a bit softer in engagement. Will let you know how it goes. Jim

solihull109
12-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Greg,

Beware the Detroits, you want to round a corner and they may not let you !!

:cool:

That is completely an opinion. I've driven with a Detroit in the rear, and yes, it's a different driving style. However, once you adjust to it, they are 100% predictable.

solihull109
12-22-2009, 05:51 PM
The one time we laid the ambulance over if I had a locking rear axle I could have driven out of the situation. And it I had an ARB I woudl never have had it locked and at the point I decided a Detroit in the Salisbury was the way to go. I would not sorry much about the loss of clearance, what you hit with the Salisbury is pretty robust. I do think the weight of the ambulance negates the quirkyness of the locker, thought I have also heard that the newest one are a bit softer in engagement. Will let you know how it goes. Jim
?? The ARB engages in 1/20th of a second. You don't need to drive 3 feet for it to work. You flip the switch and you're locked.

JimCT
12-22-2009, 05:52 PM
It took less time than that to lose it on the side hill, probably would not have had time to flip the switch kind of had both hands on the wheel!

solihull109
12-22-2009, 05:54 PM
It took less time than that to lose it on the side hill, probably would not have had time to flip the switch kind of had both hands on the wheel!

:).....

glbft1
12-22-2009, 06:52 PM
well we have decided to upgrade to the 24 spline with a arb thanks for all the advice:thumb-up:

yorker
12-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Wait a minute- I thought the Salisbury swap was too expensive? Or did you mean the Salisbury+ locker was too expensive an option?

Blueboy
12-23-2009, 07:36 AM
well we have decided to upgrade to the 24 spline with a arb thanks for all the advice

great combo - now just make sure the ARB is set-up properly.

Jaime

Tim Smith
12-23-2009, 07:36 AM
For what it's worth, I replaced my ARB which fell apart due to SPOT install error and decided to go with the Trutak. I'm actually much happier with the Trutrak because I don't have to make a decision whether I need it or not and there's no more air line to worry about.

They are all good options really but you should call Bill at GBR first. Not that ARB is a bad option. It's just that he can describe the different setups much better than a layman such as myself.

Les Parker
12-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Hmm.
Methinks Greg was asking for opinions from folks with experience of the different drive line options.
At the end of the day, it all depends on the terrain and the amount of lead in the right foot.

Blueboy
12-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I replaced my ARB which fell apart due to SPOT install error and decided to go with the Trutak. I'm actually much happier with the Trutrak because I don't have to make a decision whether I need it or not and there's no more air line to worry about.

which is why it is very important to have anything installed properly.

although I have a high respect for Bill @ GBR, pretty sure there are also a few options in the ME area to have the install done if necessary.

again, having the option or decision to engage a traction aid for me is an advantage, yet, as Les mentions, it all boils down to the driver plus terrain.

Jaime

Tim Smith
12-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Let me just highlight the SPOT error... Whoever installed the original ARB had used a spacer ring behind the ring gear instead of the thicker ring gear which removes the need for a spacer. Everything was probably bolted up and in perfect spec when the thing was put together but eventually that spacer ring gave way for movement and in the long run the ring gear came loose and chewed up the works in the matter of just a few miles. I had no idea about any of this until I had the break.

Just wanted to let folks know that using a spacer ring is what I'd consider the SPOT in this case. Bolting it together and leaving things out of spec would be too but the former is harder to avoid if you don't know about it.

scott
12-23-2009, 10:37 PM
i've got a trutrac, just the 10 spline, and used a spacer. i was saving the bucks when i did my build. i used the long bolts for the ring plus spacer and got about 3000 miles on it. some of 'em pretty hard miles. i'll be pulling it this spring to put it on the front and a detroit w/24 splines are going on the rear

glbft1
12-24-2009, 05:56 AM
thanks for all the input, will be getting the arb with 24 spline just want the option of turning it on when needed, our mechanic recommended this set up also, he custom builds defenders and series and this is all he installs,merry christmas and happy new year to all.:thumb-up: