PDA

View Full Version : broke exterior door handle

jimsshuman
12-22-2009, 03:01 PM
my left rear has been broke since i purchased it. that's not too bad to deal with. but the other day the right front handle broke. that is a pain in the but! so i called a couple local shops that have parts trucks around and they want 75 big ones for the entire mechanism. WOW! too much for my blood. so i thought i could make one, prob better than the original, and i did.

i had a piece of 3/8ths or 7/16ths stainless rod lying around. i heated the last 2 inches of it with the torch, bent it about 85 degrees (now that i've finished it, i think about 95 to 100 degrees would prob work better), and flattened to about 7/32nds +/- thick (whatever the gap is in the end of the pushrod). then drilled a hole to fit the pivot pin in the center of the bend and a smaller hole to fit the short little pin that attaches the push rod to the pull handle. i then cut it to about 3.5 - 4 inches long and reassembled but it didn't work very well. while messing around with it i noticed the window wouldn't go down because it was hitting the excess rod. i then took it back apart, cut the excess rod off just beyond the hole where the pushrod attaches, and radiused (very important) and dressed the end. put it back together and viola! works like a champ!

just thought i'd pass it along. i now have 2 working factory handles, 1 non working factory door handle and 1 nice, good working, custom made stainless steel door handle. if only all the other fixes were this simple! :thumb-up:

FlagRover
12-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Got pics?

jimsshuman
03-17-2010, 09:38 PM
well, finally have pictures. finally replaced my left rear also. i'm pleased!

spacemutt
03-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Discovery handles are the same.