PDA

View Full Version : SIIa interior panels

4flattires
12-23-2009, 10:30 AM
The attached pic is from our newfound sticky on Rovers waiting to be rescued. Are these red-outlined panels factory for my 69 IIa 88?

I had not seen these rear panels before. Then again, except for my seats, there ARE no panels in mine! :)

Thanks,

Jeff

rbonnett
12-23-2009, 11:58 AM
My '64 came with them - same elephant hide as the seats so I always assumed they were from the factory

Andrew IIA
12-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Those deluxe trim panels were fitted to Station Wagon models, along with the individual jump seats and rear door.

Regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88" SW

TedW
12-23-2009, 01:12 PM
In black; the head bumpers also go above the front doors.

galen216
12-23-2009, 01:26 PM
My '74 SIII has all of that in black except the rear door.

Bostonian1976
12-23-2009, 01:54 PM
yeah my '63 has that identical layout...

4flattires
12-24-2009, 02:00 PM
I have some work then ahead of me to make some patterns. I'll assume they have the same pressboard backing found elsewhere. I now see the mounting holes for the front and rear pieces in my body panels. Would it be correct to think the top piece mount up with the roof bolts? If someone has them out and would be kind enough to post some measurements, that would make for a very merry Xmas!

Cheers!

Jeff

thixon
12-27-2009, 07:55 PM
I have some work then ahead of me to make some patterns. I'll assume they have the same pressboard backing found elsewhere. I now see the mounting holes for the front and rear pieces in my body panels. Would it be correct to think the top piece mount up with the roof bolts? If someone has them out and would be kind enough to post some measurements, that would make for a very merry Xmas!

Cheers!

Jeff

Jeff,

They're really easy to make. The front can be made with a small peice of angle iron (alum or steel, whatever you got) and some 1/4 " ply or pressboard. The angle rolls over that front edge. The rear is the same. The head peice was actually a piece of sheet steel, with a few tabs on the back that hooked over the sill on the hardtop. Obviously, you can make them however you wish, and then just cover them with vinyl.

Good luck:thumb-up:

Jim-ME
12-28-2009, 07:42 AM
A friend who made my new wooden seat frames and bottoms for my individual folding rear seats used white board and varnished the back side to make them a little more water resistant than plain pressboard. It was the same thickness and worked very well. Just something to consider.
Jim

4flattires
12-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks!

Jeff

TSR53
12-28-2009, 10:54 AM
just an fyi...

Vinyl elephant hide material is available from stock - Exmoor Trim, sold per 1 meter x 127cm.
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-16742-vinyl-elephant-hide-material-1-meter-x-127cm.aspx
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/medium/FAB-EHG.jpg (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-16742-vinyl-elephant-hide-material-1-meter-x-127cm.aspx)

Tsmith
12-29-2009, 02:58 PM
There is a PVC sheet material called Cintra that signmakers use that is available in various thicknesses (and colors). It is very stable and will not deteriorate if it gets wet as the original organic materials will. It is easily worked with hand tools.

I used it to make interior panels on another restoration project and, covered with vinyl or leather, is a good solution.

crankin
11-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Did the rear upper clam shell have an interior panel?

siii8873
11-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Darn, wished i read this post about two weeks ago. I just removed and reconditioned / recovered all of my trim pieces. Could have drawn up sizes for you.
The top pieces are on a sheet metal frame with tabs that hook on roof galv rim. The back Top ones have an additional set of tabs that hook on the channel above the window. There are also screws on each end of these.
The lower vertical ones are pressboard. The front ones have two clips on the back side that attach to holes on side panels and a thin alum angle tha goes around front on side panels. The rear ones have two clips on the front and a tab toward the rear.
There is also a sheetmetal trim piece coveredin headliner fabric at the top of the windscreen. It attaches with a screw in the center through mirror mount and one on each end that attaches to tabs on the front of the frim pieces over the doors.
This probably means squat if your working blind.

crankin
11-16-2010, 09:23 PM
But does the rear upper clam shell have an interior panel?

Eric W S
11-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Don't use wood at all. GO to a marine store and get Starboard or equivolent. Basically it's a poly that you can cut like wood. Home Depot may have similar poly boards used for exterior trim as well.

siii8873
11-17-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure about what comes with a clamshell door for trim. I retrofitted my 88 with a clamshell type door ftom the standard station wagon door. I glued some closed cell foam covered with headliner material in that area. Do you have a headliner in the truck, typically not with a clamshell. You could easily trim this area in the same material as the trim pieces if you want. Do not think it wouldbe the same as original, who cares your truck.