PDA

View Full Version : Tom woods drive shafts?

dandruka
12-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Has anyone had a shaft made by Tom Woods and what do you think of the quality? I want to convert the rotoflex to a universal. They said they could build me a rear shaft with a universal at the axle and a cardan at the case (eventually I am going to put a modest lift). of course I would have to switch out the 3 bolt pinion with the 4 bolt. $400 is what they said and it sounds great, however, I just wanted a second opinion or suggested alternative. Thanks

BackInA88
12-24-2009, 07:59 AM
If you are just doing a "modest" lift you don't need to swap out the rotoflex.
I have a little over 2 inches of lift with no problems.
I think the rotoflex is original with a 130K miles on it with 50K of it after the lift with plenty of trail runs.

If you are going over 3" than you may need to swap it out.

Steve

dandruka
12-24-2009, 01:30 PM
I still want to replace the roto as it already has worn out and the universal doesn't take grease anymore. I could spend a little bit to fix stock or I could get a new one that eliminates the roto deal for good. That's what I want to do and I was just wondering if anyone has used the Woods shaft before. If not, who else makes a good rear drivesaft?

siiirhd88
12-24-2009, 03:03 PM
We have custom Tom Wood's driveshafts on the wife's V8 SIIA 109. I found the company easy to deal with and they have excellent customer service.

I ordered the driveshafts on a Friday, they shipped on Monday and were delivered on Wednesday. The shafts have extended splines and use heavy duty Jeep size U joints available anywhere.

I have replaced two rear u joints in about four years of use and abuse, but otherwise have had no problems except for easily peeling paint.

Also recommended to me was Carolina Driveline, but I have no personal experience with them or their products.

http://www.carolinadriveline.com/

Bob
'96 Disco SE7
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

dandruka
12-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks Bob. They look like they have a good thing going. I'm going to order a rear shaft after the holidays and see how it goes.