PDA

View Full Version : Pintle hook operation??

TeriAnn
12-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I've tried to play with a Land Rover pintle hook for the first time and was thwarted in my efforts to open the hook.

I removed the steel spring keeper and moved the lever that I thought unlocked the hinged side and it would not open.

What am I missing? Is there a second safety latch that I don't see?

Also there is a double lever that when in place keeps the pintle from rotating. The double lever is kept locked by a pin of some kind. How does that pin remove :confused:

Thanks

scott
12-28-2009, 06:53 PM
don't know about lr pintles but can't imagine they're that different from other pintles. once the pin that's usually chained to the unit, is removed a "T" like handle on the upper jaw is pulled up away and now the upper jaw can be pulled up and open. maybe the jaw's hinge on yours is seized?

TeriAnn
12-28-2009, 08:36 PM
don't know about lr pintles but can't imagine they're that different from other pintles. once the pin that's usually chained to the unit, is removed a "T" like handle on the upper jaw is pulled up away and now the upper jaw can be pulled up and open. maybe the jaw's hinge on yours is seized?

That's what I tried & it didn't move. Maybe it is seized but I can slide the movable jaw side to side on its hinge shaft just a little. Enough to know it is not seized there.

scott
12-28-2009, 09:34 PM
wierd, could the release dohicky be worn/broken such that it's not unlocking the jaw? or maybe the jaw pulls forward then up or something like that

Moose
12-28-2009, 10:42 PM
I've had both mine seize up after not being used for a long time. Liberal doses of WD40 or a penetrating oil to the hinged bit of the locking jaw, then a pry bar to lift the jaw (while you hold the locking lever open) should get it to move. Then more oil and lots of opening and closing to free it up. If you really want to go to town on it, remove the snap ring on the side, pound out the pin, lift out the top part of the pintle and clean everything up. There is a fancy smancy pin that will fit in that bottom lever to keep the pintle from rotating, but I just use a stainless bolt in one of mine and a big 'ol cotter pin in the other. Both work fine. Brett

TeriAnn
12-29-2009, 08:01 AM
I think I've been trying to make the pintle more complicated than it is assuming lot of pins & locks inside. I just need to take a step back and think simple & rugged instead of complicated internal moving parts.

There is a fancy smancy pin that will fit in that bottom lever to keep the pintle from rotating

This one still has its fancy smancy pin that also seems stuck. There is nothing obvious keeping the pin locked in place. What normally holds it in place and why is it fancy smancy? :confused:

I find it interesting that my poor little brain immediately assumes complicated unseen internal parts. I guess that's the way things have become in today's world. Which I guess is great as long as the speeding tech world that we are passengers on doesn't catastrophically derail. :eek:

luckyjoe
12-29-2009, 08:05 AM
TA,

I think your pintle is just frozen, and needs a good soaking in ______. I bet if you remove the grease nipple, you'll find solidified grease...

Here is a site with pintle rebuild info (http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/NATO%20Hitch.html)
http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/Images/US%20Rebuild/Small/Nato%20Hitch%20components_small.jpg

Regards,

jac04
12-29-2009, 08:40 AM
^^Hey, that's a picture of my pintle hitch!
The site referenced above shows some good pictures. It looks like you are doing the right thing, so something must be frozen.

TeriAnn
12-29-2009, 06:02 PM
TA,

I think your pintle is just frozen, and needs a good soaking in ______. I bet if you remove the grease nipple, you'll find solidified grease...

I got it opening & closing with the help of penetrating oil a chisel & hammer. I got the fancy smancy pin out as well with the help of my hammer. You gotta realize physically forcing things doesn't come naturally to most women, myself included. We always assume force will break something. I just had to be talked into using the hammer.

Here is a site with pintle rebuild info (http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/NATO%20Hitch.html)
http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/Images/US%20Rebuild/Small/Nato%20Hitch%20components_small.jpg

Bless you my child. This is exactly what I need to understand what's inside.

many thanks!!

luckyjoe
12-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Glad I could help. I needed to find that site anyway - the pintle on my 109 is fine, but the one on the back of my Sankey is in desperate need of a rebuild...

Regards,