X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amcordo
    5th Gear
    • Jun 2009

Seats from Other Cars

So my series has low back seats from some stationwagon in it and I want to change them to high back seats (preferrably cloth) and am not particularly interested in changing them back to the less than comfortable oem seats. SO, anyone who's ever gone to a wrecker yard and gotten seats for their rover please post some pics or tell me what type of vehicle you got them out of!

Thanks!
  • greenmeanie
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

Anything froma jeep CJ or Wrangler fits and works well and is easy to fit. Done well it can give you an extra inch or two of leg room on an 88 and I'm about to experiment with my 109. I prefer to use the Bestop Trailmax aftermarket seats but they are not going to be as cheap sa the scrappy version.

Comment

• KevinNY
      4th Gear
      • Oct 2006

I had seats from a Saab 900 for a while. I just got rid of the original height adjustment system and made simple brackets from angle aluminum. I have Sparco seats now on sparco brackets. The LR seatbox makes adapting almost anything very easy.
      The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Comment

• badvibes
        3rd Gear
        • Mar 2007

amcordo-

Here are some Mastercraft seats in a Series named Lucy. They are very comfortable. John, the owner, fabbed some simple mounts that by releasing 2 pins still allow access to the underseat cubby.

1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

Comment

• stomper
          5th Gear
          • Apr 2007

Looking to add a bit more comfort for those ski bunnies in the back are you? Perhaps it will balance out the leaning to the left you had.
          Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• Dashface
            Low Range
            • Nov 2007

I just put new front seats in my 109, and you know what fit perfectly? Seats from a VW Westfalia. I saw some locally, and had this funny feeling, so I picked 'em up... And the bases fit in the original seat boxes in my truck, AND the backs bolt into the original bracket as well. A pretty nifty solution if you can find some in good nick.

Comment

• jrd51ox
              1st Gear
              • Mar 2009

Seats from a VW Westfalia. I saw some locally, and had this funny feeling, so I picked 'em up
              Please post a pic if possible.

Comment

• TSR53
                5th Gear
                • Mar 2006

Here are my 1991 Volkswagen Westfalia seats. EXTREMELY comfortable on long distances and the adjustable dual arm rests are very nice.

Added pluses, they have rotating bases for a full 360deg rotating captains chair attitude.

Can be located over here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=57

Cheers, Thompson
                Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
                Rovers North, Inc.

Comment

• zayante
                  Low Range
                  • Oct 2006

The Westfalia seats look like a great option. The first ones I found on locally on Craigslist might require some new matching door panels however...

Chris
                  1965 IIA 109 SW
                  Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem

Comment

• xsbowes
                    2nd Gear
                    • Dec 2006

Can the VW seats be easily made so the bases are removable for access to the underseat fuel fillers?
                    Stacy
                    Motta S.A. Italy

Comment

• Lalo88DK
                      1st Gear
                      • Nov 2009

Due to backproblems I have fitted seats from a Mazda 323 sedan (don't know what is't called in the US) And it works great.
                      Quite a few Danish Series owners have fitted seats from different Mazdas.

As i have two military fueltanks I need to be able to lift both seat's to fill it, so they are hinged in the back.

Comment

• Artificer
                        Low Range
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by greenmeanie
                        Anything froma jeep CJ or Wrangler fits and works well and is easy to fit. Done well it can give you an extra inch or two of leg room on an 88 and I'm about to experiment with my 109. I prefer to use the Bestop Trailmax aftermarket seats but they are not going to be as cheap sa the scrappy version.
                        That's a very interesting option. I may try that someday soon.
                        sigpic
                        A 'barbie-convertible pink'
                        1965 88" IIA

So much woe as I have with you
                        รพoled. --Chaucer

Comment

• yorker
                          Overdrive
                          • Nov 2006

Volvo 240 seats used to be a popular swap- some will get you seat heaters too that are easy to wire up.
                          1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• Boddington
                            Low Range
                            • Jan 2009

Man, I give you guys credit. I am someone who likes stock only and cringe at the thought of putting something from another car into mine. Hell, I get mad if I'm browsing somebody else's car pics and see one of those after-market steering wheels in it!

My old Series IIa had those elephant hide - or whatever they're called - seats that I'm sure were original. You know, the ones that provided zero comfort and would slide all over the place since there were compartments within the seat boxes. But that's how a Land Rover is supposed to ride, dammit!

To each his own, of course.

Comment

• amcordo
                              5th Gear
                              • Jun 2009

Final decision: Chrysler Sebring Convertible seats. The inertia belt is built into the seat - just have to make a simple mount to fix it to the seatbox and will probably also mount it to frame under the seat box.

Comment

Working...