PDA

View Full Version : 4-Hi Keeps Popping Up

amcordo
01-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Hey all! When I push down the yellow four-hi it stays down but then pops up when I start moving faster than a couple of miles an hour. Four-lo has no problem. Any suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting?

Jeff Aronson
01-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I can only guess on this one. 4 low - pulling back the red lever - actually slides a different gear to the final drive. 4 high - pushing down the yellow lever - engages the front driveshaft. So they're peforming different functions.

Have someone push down the lever while you watch the action underneath the car. It might not be engaging completely, thus popping back up under load.

Good luck,

Jeff

rbonnett
01-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I had the same problem - except ine won't stay down at all with the spring on. So I tried with the spring off. When I push the yellow know down 4W Hi engages and stays engaged. I cycle the red know LO-to-HI and it disengages; yellow knob pops up about half way. I ended up wrapping a fat elastic around the base of the shaft on the yellow knob to make sure it doesn't get half-engaged from vibration or bumps. I don;t know if that's possible but worried about something breaking.

So far, I've had no problems using 4 Hi this way. I have adjusted the selector to the limits of the threads at the bottom. That didn't make any difference. Even though everything seems to be working, I suspect there's something broken or missing inside. Probably in the spring or summer I'll have a look inside and see what's up - my synchro is starting to go so I have to get inside the gears sometime.

amcordo
01-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks all for the help!

I too have to tear the tranny apart this spring/summer, so I'll rig it like this for now probably.

I had the same problem - except ine won't stay down at all with the spring on. So I tried with the spring off. When I push the yellow know down 4W Hi engages and stays engaged. I cycle the red know LO-to-HI and it disengages; yellow knob pops up about half way. I ended up wrapping a fat elastic around the base of the shaft on the yellow knob to make sure it doesn't get half-engaged from vibration or bumps. I don;t know if that's possible but worried about something breaking.

So far, I've had no problems using 4 Hi this way. I have adjusted the selector to the limits of the threads at the bottom. That didn't make any difference. Even though everything seems to be working, I suspect there's something broken or missing inside. Probably in the spring or summer I'll have a look inside and see what's up - my synchro is starting to go so I have to get inside the gears sometime.