PDA

View Full Version : questions on a 109

glbft1
01-02-2010, 01:31 PM
was looking on my id plate and it says land roverseries 2 2 x4 stretcher ambulance so i am wondering is this a late series 2 and was it designed to carry 2 stretchers or 4 men it has the regular 109 body on back not the ambulance body?

KingSlug
01-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I will have to look at my books, but my amby has the same tag. If I remember right its 2 fixed, 4 total when the top bays are pulled out, thus 2x4. Does your amby have roll bars? The earlier ones didn't, there were a couple changes to the ambulances over the years: including sinks, tables, oxygen tank holders, and a variation between army and air force ambulances. I have a list of the differences somewhere, with the rest of my ambulance data sheets.

Jared

glbft1
01-02-2010, 04:59 PM
it has sway bars but the body is a normal 109...

KingSlug
01-02-2010, 06:42 PM
RN brought in a bunch of ambulances when they were coming out of MOD, stripped the bodies off and put on the common 3 door body you have. My amby also has a mod tag with the major servicing including 5 engines, 2 transmissions and some just alphanumeric numbers, I even have an engine tag that says the last engine was put in at 17k miles and should last the vehicle until 37k its dated 11/97 and ask the drivers to strive to keep that target date in mind. Mine came out of MOD in 01/98 and I got it in 2001. I also have several tags by my cargo doors but were covered by many layers of paint.

Click on my signature and it will explain some.

Jared

glbft1
01-03-2010, 02:27 AM
yep this was imported by rn in the late 90s,I bought it from a boat captian who had put unleaded heads, overdrive, and a alt in it drove it on a trip and then parked it cannot find info on replacement parts when in service but it has military undercoating on it and has 38,000 miles runs like a champ,have several rover afficianados drive it they can't believe how tight and powerful it runs think it was hardly driven but matained very well.

SafeAirOne
01-03-2010, 02:51 PM
I even have an engine tag that says the last engine was put in at 17k miles and should last the vehicle until 37k its dated 11/97 and ask the drivers to strive to keep that target date in mind.

Ha! That's funny! And you thought buying a used rental car was bad!

Interesting that the (presumably) first engine only lasted only 17,000 miles and that the MoD would be satisfied to "squeeze" another 3000 miles out of the replacemnet engine.

Granted, military equipment is used hard, but it's an ambulance--I figure they would have greater longevity than a GS rover. Perhaps they should train the squaddies that drive (and fix) these rovers to get more than a (hopeful) 20,000 miles out of the engines.

Then again, I suppose it's no different than putting seemingly indestructable HMMWVs (Hummers) in the hands of 19 year-old US Marines during peacetime. :D

yorker
01-03-2010, 03:38 PM
:thumb-up:
I have a list of the differences somewhere, with the rest of my ambulance data sheets.

Jared

Jared I'd love to see those data sheets someday if you could scan them or make copies of them.

thanks!

Terrys
01-03-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't believe the short cycles given between engine replacements is a function of hard use. It was more to keep material in motion. They had guys rebuilding engines more as busy work than anything else, and it's better than wirebrushing and repainting pipe rail fences on a weekly basis, as our base commanders seem to prefer. There was a statistic published in one of the UK mags that said there were 6 Land Rover engines for every MOD Land Rover.
It's also a discipline that is enforced service wide: replace at predetermined intervals, rather than wait for failures. Sure glad they do it that way on the C130s.

cscutt
01-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I don't believe the short cycles given between engine replacements is a function of hard use. It was more to keep material in motion. They had guys rebuilding engines more as busy work than anything else, and it's better than wirebrushing and repainting pipe rail fences on a weekly basis, as our base commanders seem to prefer. There was a statistic published in one of the UK mags that said there were 6 Land Rover engines for every MOD Land Rover.
It's also a discipline that is enforced service wide: replace at predetermined intervals, rather than wait for failures. Sure glad they do it that way on the C130s.

I have to agree with you. on a lot of ocassions, I have found myself on the brit side, parts scrounging and canteen use, of a forward op base and noticed this phenominon with "maintenance" and such. it was sad and tragic that there were connex boxes of engines for the rovers waiting for a new home and the only requirement is to do a one for one swap and the motor had to come out of a rover. The same was true for axles and all other parts,:( ....wow.