PDA

View Full Version : Lowering an ex MOD 109. (really), lowering

jgkmmoore
01-03-2010, 05:07 PM
I have a '64 109 ex MOD SW w/tropical top. Rumored to have 1T frame.
The truck is mounted high on what appear to be long shackles, that have an extra set of bolt holes about 2-3" above the current bolts. I need to LOSE 1 1/2" in height to get it in my garage. Anyone know if I can simply move the bolts/springs up to the next set of holes without doing anything else? I don't want to change tires/wheels or anything major. 'Quick and dirty' is what I prefer:sly:. 'PB Blaster' is understood in advance. Assume small move like that shouldn't involve driveline or front end/wheel geometry changes? I have plenty of clearance...not an issue. Don't believe truck can possibly ride any harder than it does now. Shocks on this truck seem rendundant. It has airbags in back...2 1/2" above axle ???
Don't know history......:confused:
Thanks, Jeff

stomper
01-03-2010, 06:41 PM
You might want to look closely at the body mounts, to make sure no one added any spacers to "lift" the vehicle first. also, if tghe rear has airbags, did they change the suspension to an axle under spring setup for more clearance?

yorker
01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
the 1 ton/military frame/shackles allow you to use the extra holes to go back to the regular height. The extra holes were really meant for when 9.00 16 tires or the desert sand tires were fitted. Assuming your chassis and spring shackles are that type then you should be able to lower it. I don't know if you'll get 1.5" though. maybe lower the pressure in your tires? what size tires are fitted?

jgkmmoore
01-03-2010, 09:51 PM
The truck has 7.50 X 16 tires on it. I have a set of 235X?? studded winter tires that I could use if I have to shave 1/2" more. Don't wanna go there if possible. Yorkers remarks make sense to me, and that may be the course. Need to get a better look at the rear Salisbury and the airboinkers to make sure nothing would interfere. I'm of the hope and opinion, that those extra holes are there to reset to a more 'stock' level. I could stand to have less ground clearance just so i could get my old butt in/out easier.

jgkmmoore
01-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Truck still has 'axle over' springs, both ends. 8 leaf springs rear with airbags, thinner 11 leaf in front w/Bilsteins.

jgkmmoore
01-03-2010, 10:07 PM
I think Yorkers answer settles it for me, and I will try it and see what happens. Thanks for the inputs, guys. Can't wait to have the only 'Slammed' Landy 109 on the block......

luckyjoe
01-04-2010, 09:18 AM
If your 109 suspension is original, you probably do not have air springs, but Aeon rubber load springs. These are hollow rubber and provide additional support once the springs reach rated load.

You should be fine "lowering" to the 'upper' holes and switching to civy shackles.

Regards,

jgkmmoore
01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks Tom. Sounds like maybe you've been there/done that.
Correct, air load springs. Leaves on axle. Good idea..using civvy shackles. Think I will. Pip,pip.
Best, Jeff:thumb-up:

luckyjoe
10-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Jeff,

What did you end-up doing with your suspension?