PDA

View Full Version : Considering sale of my Trans-Africa Series...

J!m
01-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Hello to everyone!

Most of you already know me, some do not.

My name is Jim Leach and have been active on the scene (although not on this board really) for several years.

I am in charge of vehicle certification for Drive the Globe Overland Adventures as well as their Sponsor Officer (thanks to RN for their continued support BTW!!!):thumb-up:

As you may also know, in early 2001, I was part of the DtG Trans-African Expedition (Vintage Rovers Across Africa). I did this trip in my (expedition modified) 88" Series II-a (many photos of the adventure are on www.drivetheglobe.com (http://www.drivetheglobe.com))

The truck is sitting now, not getting the love it deserves. It is in need of another restoration, as the African "roads" did a number on the tub and roof sides. Fortunately, I have available another VERY MINTY 1971 rear tub as well as another set of roof sides, should the new potential owner want them.

The truck has a Ramsey 12,000# winch installed, and ARB locker is in the diff I broke the ring gear on in Africa (and is available) and a custom full length + roof rack, configured to hold the Overcamp tent we used in Africa (Sorry- tent has been sold; Ironically, it is back in Africa)

Mechanically, the truck needs the following:

Rebuild/replace of clutch master and/or slave
Mechanical repair of the hand brake lever (ratchet is not ratcheting any longer due to rust- brake works perfectly)
New tires needed as well

That's about it.

"NO ROAD" Vanity plates (CT registration) also available if interested.

Just a feeler at this point- this truck is not cheap, so please let's not waste each others time with low-ball offers. If the 'best' offer is too low; I will restore it myself and the price will increase substantially.

This is an excellent opportunity for the person looking for a very easy restoration project on a vehicle with historical significance. No poser here!:nono:

PS other expedition-used gear (fuel cans, water cans, ARB compressor etc.) may also be available and I will assist with making it [B]exactly as it was for the expedition if that is desired by the new owner. Reproduction Expedition decals can be obtained through DtG as well.:thumb-up:

msggunny
01-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Site and trip looks great! When are you all going to do the blue line through Zimbabwe?

You might want to take some pictures and post them, navigating through that site to find pictures of your truck is a PITA.

FYI.

Good luck with the sale, is that 101 still i action? What an awesome truck.

J!m
01-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks!

The pictures on the site of my truck are so old now, they really are not of much use (other than to illustrate the way it looked on expedition).

The yellow 101 (Velveeta) was sold soon after thew expedition was completed. The orange one was sold not that long ago and replaced with a Unimog.

I have been meaning to get up-to-date pictures but have not done so.

Basically, the truck needs the mechanical items listed sorted out, and a fresh coat of paint. Frame/brakes/lines were replaced before Africa (Galvanized Marsland BTW) and everything else is in damn fine shape.

Literally, I can charge the battery, prime the carburettor, pull the choke and start it. It has a Jacobs electronic ignition, motor t-box and trans (early, bullet-proof non-synchro tranny BTW) were rebuilt before the trip (and not seen many miles since returning)... It purrs like a kitten. (Rebuilt [since Africa] Webber in place) Springs are 109 1-ton models with military shackles front and rear (angle plate in front to correct pinion angle too)... ARB locker control mounted right on the shifter... Custom raised intake which retains the oil bath... too many mods/improvements to list.

It survived North Africa. Not much else to say about the quality of the truck!:)

EDIT: Stainless exhaust, Mean Green starter... The list goes on and on...