PDA

View Full Version : adding marvel mystery oil to gas in series 2a

glbft1
01-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Hello,
Wondering if anybody has added mmo to their gas to help lubricate the upper engine parts, old school mechanics say to add 2 oz per 10 gallons of gas to help keep everything running smooth and clean in older engines, just want to keep this rig running sweetly forever!!
Thanks for the feedback:D
Greg

glbft1
01-05-2010, 07:52 PM
sorry didn't realize the other post on the same
subject...........

Jeff Aronson
01-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi Greg,

I use Marvel Mystery Oil in the Corvair because of its hydraulic lifters. They lose pressure to easily so it helps to have it as an additive in the gas, or even sometimes in the oil pan. But that engine, with 124,000 miles on it, was poorly maintained before I bought it, and shows it with some pinging in hot weather.

As a gas additive, it really serves more as an upper end lubricant [rings, valve guides]. Given the ethanol in some gas in Maine, it can't hurt to use it.

That said, I've rarely put any in my Land Rover's tank, which now has around 350,000 miles on the current engine. I don't know if your 109", with its strong engine, really needs it, but why not pamper it once in a while :).

Jeff

glbft1
01-05-2010, 08:01 PM
thanks jeff
are we still on for rover romp? going to throw a dinner here so come hungry
:D

Jeff Aronson
01-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Yes, the Winter Romp is on my calendar!

thixon
01-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Greg,

I'd be careful with MMO. Don't overuse it. Its designed to be more of a solvent, than a lubricant. Its main purpose is to desolve the junk and crud in your motor. This can be a great, but if you overuse it, you could defeat the necessary lube properties of your engine oil.

thixon
01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Greg,

I forgot to specify in my first post that I was speaking about adding it to engine oil. Sorry, should have been more specific.

Les Parker
01-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Best of luck to the hardy souls who go on the Winter Romp.
Brrr.:popcorn:

Les Parker
01-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Way back in UK, we used to use a shot of Red "X" upper cylinder lubricant in the Mini's and Series I Landrovers, this must be similar to that?

thixon
01-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Way back in UK, we used to use a shot of Red "X" upper cylinder lubricant in the Mini's and Series I Landrovers, this must be similar to that?

Les,

Yep, same type of product. The seafoam stuff I saw mentioned on the forum recently, functions as a solvent, but doesn't market itself as a "lube" like red x did (don't think you can get it anymore can you?), or like MMV does. Seafoam is also a more aggressive solvent, and has specific directions on how to use it.

If you research the ingredients of MMV, its purpose becomes clear pretty quick. I'd hate to see someone over treat with MMV, and end up with a little metal to metal mayhem in their motor. I use MMV, but usually to clean guns believe it or not. A seafoam treatment is much better at stripping gunk out of an old motor IMO.

yorker
01-06-2010, 12:36 PM
MARVEL INVERSE OILER (http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/oiler_page.htm)