PDA

View Full Version : Series without Overdrives.....

jrd51ox
01-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Hello everyone...
I'm just wondering how many of you with standard 2.5 petrol engines without the OD hit the road on long trips. I want to hit the road on some trips up to VT to visit friends, but with a top speed of 55-60.....I'm very hesitant.

I ask because every time I think I'm ready to buy an OD or roverdrive something comes up and the funds magically disappear.

Thanks again.

leafsprung
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
go for it, Ive taken a lot of trips in no/OD trucks even with the 1.6 and 2.0L engines

TedW
01-06-2010, 01:39 PM
I have 235/85/16's and can cruise comfortably at 50 or so without shifting into OD.

jrd51ox
01-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Goodyear G90 (7.50R16)

TedW
01-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Goodyear G90 (7.50R16)

IIRC your tires have a similar diameter to mine.

yorker
01-06-2010, 02:14 PM
If you are really worried about it then stick to roads that were in use when your Rover was designed. People use these trucks every day all over the world for the last 60 years without any overdrives.

SafeAirOne
01-06-2010, 02:16 PM
I take plenty of long trips with my 109 pulled by the 2.5 diesel (65 hp when new). Worst rover/engine combo there is, but I can still do 55-60mph on level ground (eventually) with 235 85R 16s and no overdrive.

LaneRover
01-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Hello everyone...
I'm just wondering how many of you with standard 2.5 petrol engines without the OD hit the road on long trips. I want to hit the road on some trips up to VT to visit friends, but with a top speed of 55-60.....I'm very hesitant.

I ask because every time I think I'm ready to buy an OD or roverdrive something comes up and the funds magically disappear.

Thanks again.

a series Rover may be slow compared to other stuff on the highway but it fits right in on the backroads. It will definitely be a more interesting trip on those back roads. YOu can always do 1/2 and 1/2, take the highways to get through NY and then once into New England take some of the backroads.

If you do take the highway and the weather is bad and everyone else slows down you will still arrive at about the same time as if the weather was good cause you didn't have to slow down as much or at all!

I have taken many a long trip both with and without overdrives. The overdrive allowed me to cruise at 65-70. Without it I usually keep it to 60. On long trips I also tend to wear earplugs.

Brent

scott
01-06-2010, 02:52 PM
minimum speed on most us hwys is 45 mph. if you can do that who cares what those in a hurry types scream at you, you can't hear them anyway you're in a rover doing 50.

TedW
01-06-2010, 02:53 PM
I have taken many a long trip both with and without overdrives. The overdrive allowed me to cruise at 65-70. Without it I usually keep it to 60. On long trips I also tend to wear earplugs.

What Brent said. You will have a much more pleasant trip if you take secondary roads, and it won't take that much longer.

I hate highway trips because every car (and semi) on the road passes you at 70MPH, and it is LOUD. Very unpleasant. If you do take the interstate, be sure to have lotsa Excedrin with you. You'll need it, IMO.

jrd51ox
01-06-2010, 03:05 PM
:thumb-up:Very encouraging words....thanks for the advice everyone.:thumb-up:

How much oil do you usally take with you to be safe on a 5+ hour trip?

leafsprung
01-06-2010, 03:11 PM
5 hour trip is cake. If your truck is in good shape, you shouldnt need any oil. If it uses oil bring enough to cover its rate of consumption.

rwollschlager
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM
and its not like they sell oil only in select parts of new england. You can check it every fill up and buy some if you need it. The less weight carried in your rover the better:D

LaneRover
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
I would start keeping track of how often you need to put oil in based on mileage. If it is a quart every 500 miles then keep a quart or two with you on a long trip. I usually have a quart with me as a just in case, short of a catastrophic loss it should be enough to get you to more oil if it is needed.

east high
01-07-2010, 12:00 AM
5 hour trip is cake. If your truck is in good shape, you shouldnt need any oil. If it uses oil bring enough to cover its rate of consumption.

+1.

I hit the road last summer and 5 hours is no prob. My top speed for was roughly 65 and I didn't need to add oil once in the 750+ miles of my trip.

I'd agree with the others about the use of ear plugs, however.

Jim-ME
01-07-2010, 04:58 AM
I have a 2.5 NA diesel and routinely run interstates at 49 to 52 mph. I drive by tach rpms and GPS speed never by the speedometer. I usually avoid 2 lane state highways because if the speed limit is 50 people want to go 60 and there isn't always a place to pass. At least on the interstate people can pass because I am always in the extreme right lane. As far as noise goes my canvas top isn't as bad as a metal top and I just leave my hearing aids at home :). I do hope to add an OD but not so that I can go much faster than I already do.
Jim

Jeff Aronson
01-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Jim,

Don't you live in the Bangor area? If you're going to VT, you're going to take Rte 2 across ME and NH to enter northern VT. This is the perfect Series Land Rover road - winding, 55 mph must of the way, scenic, and trips through lots of town centers.

One of my II-A's does not have an overdrive, and I bought it in VT a few years ago. I drove that Rover without any incident at 60 mph much of the trip. It will go faster without any problem but as Ted notes, there's more drivetrain noise at 65 mph. It did not alter the length of the trip in any way.

For many years, I did not have an overdrive on II-A #1, and I drove it over 60,000 miles between Maine and Vermont for work assignments over several years. When I got the Fairey overdrive it did not change the engine rpm; it just made it quieter to do 65 on an interstate than without the overdrive.

I know one enthusiast who has more miles on his Rovers than I do on mine, and he has never installed an overdrive. He takes his Rovers everywhere and when I've convoyed with him on the highways, he's often going faster than I am with an overdrive :).

So enjoy your trip. I think you have 16" tires on your Rover anyway, so you're already ahead of the curve for highway driving.

Jeff

greenmeanie
01-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Jim,

So enjoy your trip. I think you have 16" tires on your Rover anyway, so you're already ahead of the curve for highway driving.

Jeff

Ah the low rider look. That truck is going to scream at 40mph.

Tyre size does have an effect on gearing, wheel size does not.

Jim-ME
01-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Jeff,
Yes I do live in the Bangor area but most of my trips are south or north not west. My sister lives in NH, Matt is in Eliot, Carey will be established in Union and I do frequently go to the North ME Woods. I do go to to the Burlington VT area to shoot anually but so far I have not done it in the Rover. This year I will. I have to be honest that I do not enjoy back roads with 55 mph speed limits simply because I feel like I hold up traffic. I really hate having someone right on my tailgate because I'm going slightly under the posted speed limit. As an example on the way home from Metal Dash last fall I had some kid in a ricer on my tailgate from 495 in MA up a state road in NH for much further than I felt comfortable until I ended up turning on my work light. He got the message and backed off. I can also vividly remember in my origional Rover back when trips from my parents house in CT to ME were the routine, seeing nothing but Kenworth, Mack or Peterbuilt and a large grill in my rear view mirror. Considering that I carried 5 gallons of gas in a GI fuel can on my rear door plus 10 gallons in GI fuel cans inside, it was at times some what nerve racking. I was probably one of the few that appreciated and enjoyed the national 55 mph speed limit. I hope at some point when I can afford to purchase an OD that will allow me to comfortably do 55+ I will do so. At that point I will most likely start doing "back" state 55 mph roads again but until then I honestly look for interstates because I can do the minimum posted speed limit limit of 45 with ease but cars and trucks can get by me. So my vote is for interstate travel when at all possible.
Jim

Jim-ME
01-07-2010, 08:28 AM
FWIW I run 33X9.50X15 which does help with highway speds to a point.
Jim

Jeff Aronson
01-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Good points, all, Jim. I am sure I have held up traffic on Rte 2 over the years :).

But I've also traveled those roads in my TR-7, which is definitely faster, and the Macks and Kenowrths of the Sunbury Lines or similar carriers come right up on the butt of the TR-7, too, if they think iit will help them keep a constant speed.

I agree there are more lanes on I-95, and it's our N-S main road, but I do find it boring to drive compared to the major secondary roads.

When you find an overdrive, keep the original final drive gear in the car just in case. Should you need to remove the overdrive, you can swap it back, even in a snowdrift in Scarborough [don't ask me how I know this :) ].

Jeff

greasyhandsagain
01-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Heres how to enjoy going FAST in a Land Rover

Get two. Go FAST in the Range Rover....Go Anywhere (just maybe not so fast) in the S2

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg204/ambro51/100_1175_00.jpg

Jim-ME
01-07-2010, 09:02 AM
No offense intended and I hope none is taken but I would personally give up Rovers before I purchased a Disco, Rangie or a Defender so that I can go faster. Too complicated and just not the same for me.
Jim (a diehard Series driver for the rest of my time on this earth)

greasyhandsagain
01-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Jim, they've both got good points, and both have got bad points. I confess Ive been amazingly lucky in my three years with the RR, only repair I needed to do was 1 muffler, and replace the EAS compressor (really easy). The S2 on the other hand, leaf springs, exhaust, exhaust valves, clutch, brakes, wiring, inner tubes, dynamo...and probably a dozen or more smaller things.

My Wife can drive and enjoy the Range Rover, she can get to work in the worst weather with it (unlike her new VW beetle convertible). I can drive the RR on the open road at 80-85 or whatever the interstate traffic is cruising, and not feel intimidated by ANYTHING on the road. It can still be a "truck" when I need one, and haul all sorts of stuff (plastic down in the back of course). Since I dont really commute to work or drive long distances...only about 4000 miles a year on the RR, it dosent seem to have bad economy. The stereo kicks AZZ! Metallica booms and quakes the car and yet sounds great to the ears. What I DONT want to do with the RR though is to go down any of those tight forest trails that echo sounds of scraping branches down the vehicle. Though it certainly can do any trail....thats the S2's department.

The S2 is just an iconic pleasure to drive. Just like the Top Gear video...they cant tell if you work the land, or OWN the land. I delight in taking it out every day I choose to, and it will always be special. I dont ask it to do what its not meant to do. Theres no urge to overpower the vehicle on my part...just to keep it going to the best of its ability and design.

Hopefully WHEN the big traffic accident happens (and you know that chance is always there)....Ill be safe and sound inside the multi airbag system of the RR, with all its modern design, instead of being thrown forward against the sharp metal of the S2.

Someday a '48 Series 1 80" is going to join the group, THAT one will get the garage! " Sorry honey youre VW is OUT DA DOOR...my 80 is more valuable than your new car! "

gudjeon
01-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Not to slag against a RR, but how long will the list be of parts to rebuild/resto a RR in about 50 years? Anything will need a list at least as long as a half century old series.:thumb-up:

In the meantime, just drive them. Thats what they are made for and your not going to take it with ya when you die. I didn't get mine to be a garden gnome.

greasyhandsagain
01-07-2010, 10:39 AM
They will be economically "unrestorable". Survivor cars will be the only 'nice ones'.

scott
01-07-2010, 11:59 AM
i once had my series doing 90+ mph. was passing a truck on the hwy. how could i know my speed when the meter only goes to 70 you ask...it was attached to the wife's LR3 via a tow bar.

getting back to living with the speed limitations of a series. i've done two 800+ mile trips, countless 200 and a few in between ones and i never found myself wanting to go faster. it's like the hurry up feelings just melts away. i find myself drifting into a world where i have no place to be, i am just there, then, at the wheel of a cool looking, loud rattling machine and i am amazed at how fast 50 mph is. i find myself not thinking if i only had the wife's LR i could really be moving but thinking stuff like i am moving so much faster than bicycles, horses, hikers

jrd51ox
01-07-2010, 12:10 PM
i find myself drifting into a world where i have no place to be, i am just there, then, at the wheel of a cool looking, loud rattling machine and i am amazed at how fast 50 mph is. i find myself not thinking if i only had the wife's LR i could really be moving but thinking stuff like i am moving so much faster than bicycles, horses, hikers

Well put Scott. I have only done a few 40-60 min drives so far but I know exactly what your saying here. I am still very new and learning as much as possible about the series. I guess I just assumed that everyone on the forum had OD's. This thread has got me excited to put some miles her. Thanks again everyone.

scott
01-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Well put Scott. I have only done a few 40-60 min drives so far but I know exactly what your saying here. I am still very new and learning as much as possible about the series. I guess I just assumed that everyone on the forum had OD's. This thread has got me excited to put some miles her. Thanks again everyone.

oh i have and use the o/d but it was on my series when i bought it. and even if i didn't have it i would still have done all the trips that i have. out west you can see forever on some of the hwys. and i remember a time in eastern nm when i stopped the car got out and just stared across the grasslands. i was in aw of those who just 100 years earlier did this in wagons pulled by oxen, cruising at the break neck speed of 3 to 4 mph

LaneRover
01-07-2010, 01:11 PM
oh i have and use the o/d but it was on my series when i bought it. and even if i didn't have it i would still have done all the trips that i have. out west you can see forever on some of the hwys. and i remember a time in eastern nm when i stopped the car got out and just stared across the grasslands. i was in aw of those who just 100 years earlier did this in wagons pulled by oxen, cruising at the break neck speed of 3 to 4 mph

Actually if there was a wagon and oxen - you walked - so as to not tire out the oxen by pulling any additional weight.

I try to remember that most people WALKED from the Mississippi (or a little further West) to the West Coast in the early days.

greasyhandsagain
01-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Google "John Coffer". Hes a good friend of mine who lives essentially a 19th century lifestyle on a small farm in the NY Fingerlakes. He has driven an oxen team from idaho to NY state, and has travelled across the country horsedrawn. Just recently, he bought a TT truck (25 mph top end).

Like all elements of the past....some echos remain.

yorker
01-07-2010, 03:09 PM
"John Coffer" there is a name I haven't heard in a while...

giorgio
01-07-2010, 06:44 PM
I read posts like these and get all excited about taking a long trip in my Series IIA, into which I have installed a RoverDrive, and it is in wonderfully original condition, a 2.6L 109, no rust, good tires, etc. etc. and then I remember how little room there is in the drivers seat for someone slightly over 6'5". Nevermind my age, are there any of you long trip drivers who are about as tall as I am? I have the earplugs. but I cannot imagine sitting with knees up in the air, and my right foot cocked back at such a steep angle on the accelerator for more than an hour or so.

So I guess, I will just dream on, or sell it and resign myself to driving something far less unique, but much more accommodating to the size of my frame.