PDA

View Full Version : Series Restoration. Who? Recommendation?

Icarus
01-06-2010, 02:32 PM
I am looking for someone to build a series rover for me from the ground up and was hoping someone here could give me some recommendations on who out there is trust worthy and does good work. I have run into a couple of companies that seem quite shady while looking. I am hoping to find someone who can do a turn key restoration, from providing the machine to doing the work.

I am located on the east coast but am open to companies anywhere in the US. Any ideas or feedback?

Thank you,
Michael

SafeAirOne
01-06-2010, 02:59 PM
I know where there may be a ground-up restored airportable rover (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5073)for sale...zero miles on it. It's in Connecticut even.

Les Parker
01-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Here is the link to a list of shops the use RN parts.

Matt Brown at Overland Engineering.
Ernie Klopping at Klopping Competition.
Rich Moody at Rover Special Vehicles

Just some of those featured:-

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/t-land-rover-links.aspx

kevin-ct
01-06-2010, 03:55 PM
I have just opened a shop to repair/restore land rovers.

I'm in CT near Danbury.

Kevin

yorker
01-06-2010, 07:07 PM
http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/5874

galen216
01-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Trevor at Roverlab in Elizabethtown PA just did an excellent restore. He is away in Africa for 4 months but will be available once he returns in April.

jac04
01-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Michael-
If you are interested in a Lightweight, please PM me. Refer to SafeAirOne's post for a link to the restoration.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jim-ME
01-07-2010, 08:32 AM
That Rover is absolutely beautiful and there are no words to describe how well done it is. There are not any Rovers out there that I have seen that can hold a candle to it. Jac04 has been an inspiration to many of us that have much lesser vehicles. If it were mine I would never, ever part with it. If you decide that it is the Rover for you many people with be very jealous myself included. You will not find better even if you went to the Rover factory and had a a brand new one built for you.
Jim

Jeff Aronson
01-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Michael,

I have seen Kevin Murphy's work on his Series Land Rover and I commend him to you. I don't know where you are, but Kevin is in CT.

Also, Lanny Clark (http://www.lannyclarkrovers.com) in Colchester, VT, does superb work on Series Land Rovers, and enjoys building them for enthusiasts who really plan on using them.

Lastly, I know of enthusiasts here in Maine who have restored/refurbished Land Rovers for clients and done wonderful jobs. PM me if you're interested in further information.

Jeff

redmondrover
01-07-2010, 10:08 AM
While it sounds like you already have some very good options on your side of the country, I strongly recommend Gord'n Perrott at Lamorna Garage in Seattle, WA (www.lamornagarage.com (http://www.lamornagarage.com)). Gord'n has produced some very nice Series Rovers and is just beginning the reassembly of my wifes 77 RHD 109 5 door (chronicled at www.redmondrover.blogspot.com (http://www.redmondrover.blogspot.com)).

What better way to break in your "new" Series Rover than a cross country drive beginning in the beautiful pacific northwest, crossing Montana, the Dakotas, through the Midwest/Chicago, into the stunning northeast and ending in your driveway!:thumb-up:

Icarus
01-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Great recommendations so far. I am still looking into most of them and making calls. By the way I spend half of my time in Florida and half in Wyoming so I would be open to a West Coast shop as well.

Also has anyone hear anything or do any business with Land Rover Ranch out in New Mexico?

Please keep them coming,
Michael

Icarus
01-07-2010, 06:52 PM
jac04 I sent you a private message, and would love to hear more about your airportable. I looked at the build yesterday and am very impressed.
Michael

JackIIA
01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Michael-
If you are interested in a Lightweight, please PM me. Refer to SafeAirOne's post for a link to the restoration.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff - don't do it!!!! Think of all those late nights, dizzying paint fumes, skinned knuckles....

yorker
01-08-2010, 07:55 AM
http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/reply/35960#reply-35960

vermontrover
01-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Lanny Clark in Colchester. Beautiful, honest work and vast experience.

glbft1
01-11-2010, 06:21 AM
also solihull109 on this post name is carey excellent rover builder based in union maine, :thumb-up:

Eric W S
01-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Got deep pockets eh? Having a rover restored is prohibitively expensive when done right. Out the door your looking at maybe 20-40k depending on who does it.

Lanny is great. Flew out and spoke with him. Does great work and David Cooper recommends him now.

The best restorer is Ike Goss at Pangolin4x4. Lanny and others call him looking for parts. He'll also work with you. Lanny will not. So no non stock motors or other upgrades from Lanny. Ike will build to suit.

Also Land Rover Ranch in NM.

Rover restoration isn't that complicated. I am doing my own - I had Ike rebuild a bulkhead for me and bought a fairly decent rover to start with.

thixon
01-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Rover restoration isn't that complicated. I am doing my own - I had Ike rebuild a bulkhead for me and bought a fairly decent rover to start with.

If you didn't rebuild the bulkhead yourself, does that still qualify as restoring it yourself?:D

Les Parker
01-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Lanny is a good option and does do good upgrade work.
Yes, David Cooper at Cooper Technica is also a great resource.
It all depends on the budget and what you want the end product to be.

2p

Eric W S
01-12-2010, 07:08 PM
If you didn't rebuild the bulkhead yourself, does that still qualify as restoring it yourself?:D

Why wouldn't it? The general contractor builds the house but doesn't do the plumbing. :thumb-up:

Put it this way, I had my steering wheel recast in modern plastic to fix the rot problem. I know Ike was looking into it (which shows you the forward thinking and detail Ike gets into) but I think I am the first to have it actually done. And Ike was the only pro I talked to that even knew about the process...

The gauges are also heading out to nisonger soon as well. And the wipers are finally boxed waiting to be sent to Ike along with the Kodiak... :thumb-up:

thixon
01-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Why wouldn't it? The general contractor builds the house but doesn't do the plumbing. :thumb-up:

Put it this way, I had my steering wheel recast in modern plastic to fix the rot problem. I know Ike was looking into it (which shows you the forward thinking and detail Ike gets into) but I think I am the first to have it actually done. And Ike was the only pro I talked to that even knew about the process...

The gauges are also heading out to nisonger soon as well. And the wipers are finally boxed waiting to be sent to Ike along with the Kodiak... :thumb-up:

Just busting your balls bro. Have fun.:D