PDA

View Full Version : Series II water pump rebuild

Tsmith
01-06-2010, 05:43 PM
I have an old water pump in spares that I want to rebuild for my '60 SII. The host's site lists the rebuild kit for the IIA. Is it the same? It sure looks the same.

I assume the pump I have is an aftermarket casting because it has no locating bolt to secure the sleeve. The casting is rust-free and appears to be in good shape.

I know the Proline pump is only a bit more expensive than the rebuild kit, but I hate to throw stuff out if it can be fixed.

Tom Smith

czenkov
01-06-2010, 07:34 PM
I think they are different as the timing chain cover is different as well. I think that is one of the differences between the II and the IIa. But I am no expert. Good luck.

Sputnicker
01-07-2010, 08:53 AM
My 60 Series 2 has the hard-to-find 8-bolt pump that goes with the older style timing cover. The repair kit (bearing, seal impeller) works for both pumps, but the gasket will be for the 9-hole pump, so you will have to make one or use RTV.

Jeff Aronson
01-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Give RN a call, as I know at one time they carried a Series II rebuild kit for those water pumps. Not everything they carry is yet on the web site.

Sputnicker has clearly rebuilt one recently enough, so the innards may be the same. I know the covers are different.

Jeff

LaneRover
01-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Doesn't the rebuild kit just deal with some of the innards? Though they may be different on the outside it doesn't mean that it is different on the inside. I 2nd the suggestion to call RN and ask them directly.

Tsmith
01-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks to all,

As you pointed out, the rebuild kit may work, but the pump castings are different, so I will have no use for it (I can't recall where it came from)....Does anyone want the casting? I was working in the warm warm barn and didn't go outside to check the cold cold car.

Tom Smith